HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2007, 03:24 PM
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
Build Log
Another Great Planes Rapture 40 Build Log

Well, after much trouble deciding which kit to buy for my first build, I decided to get the GP Rapture 40, because of it's looks, it's reviews, and an amazing build log by Tweener. Also, I like the fact that they only sell it as a kit, so it has a feel of exclusiveness, and there will be less at the field than if it was available as an ARF also.

A little background first. I am from the Dominican Republic (in the Caribbean), and it is quite hard to get rc stuff in here. It takes about 3-5 days more to get them from Miami, and it gets expensive, quickly, in a hobby that really, is very expensive by itself. As for my flying experience, I've been flying electric helis (T-Rex) since February, and after spending my first day at the local flying field about 2 months ago, I decided I "NEEDED" a plane, so I got a RTF Hobbico Avistar 40. I still can't fly it by myself, but I wanted to start a kit, since I love doing things myself and it keeps me busy. By the time I finish it, I hope to be ready to fly it.

I haven't decided on a coloring scheme yet, I wan't something bright and not too hard to do for a first timer. I'm open to any suggestions you might give. I would like to decide soon, since I need to order the covering (I plan to use MonoKote) from the states, so it takes a little longer than usual.

Well, this is the official start to my build log. Last night I started, and already finished the rudder and vertical fin (after 4 hours!). My girlfriend said that she wanted to help, so, she started cutting the plans that I had photocopied from the original ones, and also did the balsa cutting. She said she really liked it! Let's see for how long she continues helping...

I had some problems with the exact fitting, there were some small gaps, but after gluing with medium CA, they appeared to be solid. After, I used a little bit of Titebond II to fill the small gaps, and sanded it. I don't know if I did a good job, but it looks good. Tonight I'll try to work with the elevator.

Here are some pictures of the finished part. Notice my building board, the top of the foam where my Futaba Radio came... just bought a ceiling tile right now. This just shows how eager I was to start building it...

Sorry for the long post, will try to keep them shorter next time. 'Till next post...
OrlandoP is offline Find More Posts by OrlandoP
Last edited by OrlandoP; Jul 06, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 12:54 AM
I meant to do that
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
Hey good choice Orlando. I like to see people building kits. I think it should be a requirements to build at least one. Looking good so far, the plane too. Good luck.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:17 AM
Fix it til it's broke
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Mar 2006
277 Posts
I also followed Tweener's build thread and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes together. The only kit I built was a PT-40 wing. I am tossing between building a sport plane or a fun-fly type plane. The build won't happen till December after I move backto San Diego.
shane.barton is offline Find More Posts by shane.barton
Old Jul 07, 2007, 07:13 AM
Balsa is my friend
Jersey shore
Joined Feb 2005
517 Posts
Great start! Your going to love this plane. I`ve been enjoying mine so much I`m building a second one
infinitemass is offline Find More Posts by infinitemass
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:26 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Good choice, you won't regret it! In 38 flights the only maintenance I've had to do so far is remove the engine mount to replace an engine-to-mount bolt that had the head shear off (probably over-tightened and vibration did the rest), and remove the tank to replace a rubber band on the tray. I used two originally so I had a backup, then checked the bands after each flying session by looking down though the wing saddle. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck on your build!
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
Elevator and left wing ribs

On Friday night I finished the elevator, most of it went without problems, but when finishing the elevators, they are a little out of shape, I cut a little bit more than what I had to, but at least, both of them are even. I don't know if this is going to cause me problems, but if it is a big deal, I will buy more balsa for that, since the kit only comes with one piece for that, so I don't have any more. Remember that I might need to order them from the states and wait about a week or more for them to arrive. What do you great minds think about it?

I also encountered some problems with the hinges, but since I don't have any pictures of it, as soon as I get home tonight I will take them and post them, so I can explain what the problem is.

As you can see, I already started gluing the rib doublers and the landing gear blocks on saturday, but I had to leave early due to a "beach call". Living on an island is no easy task on weekends!

I will start building the left wing tonight, hope not to find any problems!
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:51 PM
Balsa is my friend
Jersey shore
Joined Feb 2005
517 Posts
This plane has a pretty strong elevator. I don`t think your going to notice that little bit missing.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
Big Problems!!!

Houston, we have a problem! While working on the wing, I glued all the ribs, dowel plates and 2 shear webs as per the instructions. Then I glued the wing trailing edge, also without a problem, leaving the 3/32" above and below the R2 ribs (centering them), but when I glued the wing leading edge to the ribs, for some reason unknown to me (stupidity?) I aligned it with the top of the R2 ribs, instead of centering it, so now instead of having 3/32" extending below and above the rib end, it has 3/16" below the rib end, and nothing above.

I glued it with medium CA, and tried using some debonder, and nothing happened, then I used more, and nothing happened, no way to take it apart. I must say that I was quite generous while using the CA to glue it. The worst part is that even if I cut it apart, that part is not a usual one since it is half-rounded.

I'm almost ready to order a new kit! Please tell me that is not the only way to go!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Thats no big deal... Just sand the leading edge even with the top of the ribs and extend the sheeting over the leading edge. It'll need a bit more sanding than it would when built right, but nothing too much.
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:49 AM
Balsa is my friend
Jersey shore
Joined Feb 2005
517 Posts
If you need to, you can order leading edge stock from Tower. Midwest balsa has quite a few sizes. Maybe one is a match?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
I just checked the Great Planes site, and they seem to have that part available. It costs $6.84 + $8.99 shipping, so I guess that is the way to go. The cheapest midwest balsa package for leading edges is more than $35 + shipping, so if I have to buy that, I'll better buy a kit for $57 shipped.

In the meantime, I will start with the right side of the wing and then with the fuselage.

Thanks for the help... don't know how I would be able to build a kit without all your help...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
I meant to do that
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
I would go ahead and do what Jupeli said. Its a pretty easy fix. Just be sure to do it to both wing halfs if you do. Trying to cut the leading edge off will probably cause more problems than you already have.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoP
Houston, we have a problem! While working on the wing, I glued all the ribs, dowel plates and 2 shear webs as per the instructions. Then I glued the wing trailing edge, also without a problem, leaving the 3/32" above and below the R2 ribs (centering them), but when I glued the wing leading edge to the ribs, for some reason unknown to me (stupidity?) I aligned it with the top of the R2 ribs, instead of centering it, so now instead of having 3/32" extending below and above the rib end, it has 3/16" below the rib end, and nothing above.

I glued it with medium CA, and tried using some debonder, and nothing happened, then I used more, and nothing happened, no way to take it apart. I must say that I was quite generous while using the CA to glue it. The worst part is that even if I cut it apart, that part is not a usual one since it is half-rounded.

I'm almost ready to order a new kit! Please tell me that is not the only way to go!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ignore it, glue your sheeting on, use Elmer's wood filler to bring the leading edge up to the sheeting, let dry completely.
Make second application of the wood filler and try to shape it (use wet finger) to the curve of the leading edge.
Let dry completely.
Now sand it off using a hard backer for the sand paper.
Shape it so it blends into the leading edge and the sheeting. Don't sand into the Balsa very much.
Cover it just like it is all Balsa.
On the opposite side sand the leading edge down to match the sheeting.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Last edited by chashint; Jul 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: word correction
Old Jul 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
Good news! With A LOT of patience, my girlfriend managed to remove the leading edge with the x-acto knife. I was really freaked out, but it had to be fixed someway. I really liked the suggestion chasint gave, but I had already removed the part at that point. Then I filled some irregularities with balsa filler and glued it the right way.

I finished the left wing, sheeting it and gluing the landing gear block in place. Then I finished the wing tips, I did both at the same time, that way, the I could finish the right side of the wing faster.

As you can see on the pictures, I filled some small gaps in the wing sheeting with balsa filler, they were small, not as big as it looks, but when I sand them, you will only see the small filling.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2007
285 Posts
The right side of the wing went really fast, I finished it in less than 4 hours, since I had already glued the rib doublers and the wing tip. It went without problems, and the sheeting was a lot easier since I had already some insight after doing the first side sheeting.

Now, here's our next problem, when I finished the wing and sanded the root of both sides, the dihedral is a little bit downwards instead of upwards! It seems that I glued R1 (the first rib, the other way around of what I should. It is almost straight instead of downwards, but anyways, it is not how it should be. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

I must be driving you guys crazy with my dear mistakes, but without help from someone by my side, this is a definately, a little bit harder than what I thought.