SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:02 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2006
29 Posts
Discussion
HELP - Electric conversion for Sig Kadet Senior

I need help. Want to convert the 80" WS Sig Kadet Senior to electric. I thought I saw an article on this once but cannot find it now. Anyone with suggestions?
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:37 PM
dessertracer's Avatar
Joined May 2006
849 Posts
That's a huge plane to convert to electric (sounds like it might cost well over $1000).
dessertracer is offline Find More Posts by dessertracer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2007, 05:24 PM
Registered User
manuel v's Avatar
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,268 Posts
With stall spd. of only 17-18MPH., and 112oz weight.

TP 3520-7-600 with 4s3300 o 5sA123, APC 13x6.5. 30A. for 45MPH pitch spd.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Last edited by manuel v; Jul 06, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2007, 05:28 PM
Registered User
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Since the Kadet Senior is only about 6 pounds in glow it should not be that hard of a conversion. I would think an AXI 2826/12 or an AXI 4120/14 with a CC PHX45 and 4s Lipo or 12-14 cells nicd. Since it is a trainer about 500-600 watts should fly it.
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2007, 06:11 PM
Registered User
MorrisM's Avatar
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,678 Posts
My 6 1/2 pound Kadet LT-40 uses the TP 3520-7 that Manuel V. recommended. I use 4S2P6400 lipo and APC 13x8E prop. Pulls about 40-50A. Nothing gets hot, works great.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2007, 11:14 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2006
29 Posts
Wow, there are a lot of options. I think I will go with an Axi 4120/18, Phoenix 60, 6S lipo. Don't know on prop, prob a 13x8, I need to get a wattmeter.

Will let you know final decision. Sounds like this will cost me $400 - 500.
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2007, 11:19 PM
Progress not Perfection
wilscor41's Avatar
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlwatt
Wow, there are a lot of options. I think I will go with an Axi 4120/18, Phoenix 60, 6S lipo. Don't know on prop, prob a 13x8, I need to get a wattmeter.

Will let you know final decision. Sounds like this will cost me $400 - 500.
I have the same setup on mine, same everything works great w/cheap lipos
Good luck, Jack
wilscor41 is offline Find More Posts by wilscor41
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:07 PM
Registered User
tnavressdog's Avatar
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
You'd be surprised how little power is required to fly one of these planes decently. I've been flying a 6 lb. Telemaster Electro with slightly over 200 watts out the prop. Setup was an Axi 2826/12 equivalent motor, 14x8.5 APC prop, with 8-cell GP3300 NIMH batteries. It had good power for 8 minutes motor run meaning about 12 minutes of flight. I even added a pound of autopilot to the setup and it still flew okay.
tnavressdog is offline Find More Posts by tnavressdog
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2007, 03:50 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnavressdog
You'd be surprised how little power is required to fly one of these planes decently. I've been flying a 6 lb. Telemaster Electro with slightly over 200 watts out the prop. Setup was an Axi 2826/12 equivalent motor, 14x8.5 APC prop, with 8-cell GP3300 NIMH batteries. It had good power for 8 minutes motor run meaning about 12 minutes of flight. I even added a pound of autopilot to the setup and it still flew okay.
Yeh, the Axi 2826/12 would prob work fine, but I am at 3000 ft and the extra power from the 4120/18 will be nice.

The Phoenix 60 controller is rated for a 3S lipo max, does this mean I cannot use a 3S2P pack? What lipo packs are you guys using?

Sounds like a 13x8 or 14x8 prop will work with the 4120/18.
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:34 PM
Registered User
dusty IV's Avatar
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
I have the same plane under construction. Been taking my time waiting to see how I can save some money.

Lots of new things coming out well worth considering. Check out this news letter. Ken as been around a long time and is well versed. I have found in the past his advice is very well put. Very practical and will save you a lot of money.

Check out his news letter at http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo I hope I got this right.

Right now I am going to use his recommendations on my Sig Kadet if I ever get in finished.

Supplier is BPHobbies.com
motor- Tower Pro 3520-07T same as BP 3520-07 cost about $53. this motor is half way between an AXI 2826 and the next biggest size 4120. Seems perfect at half the price. No relation to Tower Hobbies.

ESC Ken mention a BP60A ESC $$25.00. I like Castle and probably will stick with them regardless of price, uh but maybe not here. Worth a look at this price.

UBEC - Hobby Electronics 5 A $20

Batteries- No contest here. The 123's are much cheaper, longer lasting and safer then lipo's. I plan on using either 4s2p or 5s2p 123's. Available off ebay for $100 delivered for a 10 cell pack. 2300 mah per cell so I plan to parallel them.

As far as I'm concerned big lipo packs are as dead as a dodo. The 123's are a bit heavier and have a slightly lower V but for this application the 123's are the clear winner. You can recharge them at 8 A in less then 20 minutes so you only need to buy one pack. They are safe enough to leave in the plane for recharging which I do for my other planes.
Good luck and keep us informed.
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:35 PM
Registered User
manuel v's Avatar
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,268 Posts
AXI 4120-18 is a big motor. 10.64oz. and good for 1000Watts.

Drive calc say. to 3000ft.

13x6.5 , 21.15V. 9279rpm. 34.9A, 133oz. 738w.
13x8, 21.05v, 9115, 38.2A, 119oz. 804W.

7000 rpm is good.

Light AXI option.

4120-12, APC 13x8, 3s, 10.6v, 7015rpm, 32.2A. 67oz. 341W.
AXI 2826-12, APC 12x6. 4s,,14.19V, 9022rpm, 30.4A,79oz. 431W.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2007, 11:35 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty IV
I have the same plane under construction. Been taking my time waiting to see how I can save some money.

Lots of new things coming out well worth considering. Check out this news letter. Ken as been around a long time and is well versed. I have found in the past his advice is very well put. Very practical and will save you a lot of money.

Check out his news letter at http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo I hope I got this right.

Right now I am going to use his recommendations on my Sig Kadet if I ever get in finished.

Supplier is BPHobbies.com
motor- Tower Pro 3520-07T same as BP 3520-07 cost about $53. this motor is half way between an AXI 2826 and the next biggest size 4120. Seems perfect at half the price. No relation to Tower Hobbies.

ESC Ken mention a BP60A ESC $$25.00. I like Castle and probably will stick with them regardless of price, uh but maybe not here. Worth a look at this price.

UBEC - Hobby Electronics 5 A $20

Batteries- No contest here. The 123's are much cheaper, longer lasting and safer then lipo's. I plan on using either 4s2p or 5s2p 123's. Available off ebay for $100 delivered for a 10 cell pack. 2300 mah per cell so I plan to parallel them.

As far as I'm concerned big lipo packs are as dead as a dodo. The 123's are a bit heavier and have a slightly lower V but for this application the 123's are the clear winner. You can recharge them at 8 A in less then 20 minutes so you only need to buy one pack. They are safe enough to leave in the plane for recharging which I do for my other planes.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Boy are you guys giving me a lot to think about. "123's", I have not heard of these. Give me some more info. Where can I find them?
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2007, 03:14 AM
BEC
Registered User
BEC's Avatar
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlwatt
Yeh, the Axi 2826/12 would prob work fine, but I am at 3000 ft and the extra power from the 4120/18 will be nice.
Altitude is not an issue for electric power. All you need to do is change props to add pitch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213592

Actually, at higher altitudes lower wing loading is your friend....so it would make more sense to go with the lighter weight system.

People have been electrifying Kadet Seniors for just about as long as there have been Kadet Seniors. Nowadays it's just easier to do it.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2007, 02:38 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Altitude is not an issue for electric power. All you need to do is change props to add pitch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213592

Actually, at higher altitudes lower wing loading is your friend....so it would make more sense to go with the lighter weight system.

People have been electrifying Kadet Seniors for just about as long as there have been Kadet Seniors. Nowadays it's just easier to do it.
Thanks for the article, very helpful information. Now it makes sence to go with the Axi 2826/12, this will also save $$$.
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Sig Kadet Senior conversion. BillH2 Sport Planes 27 May 09, 2011 12:46 AM
Wanted Wanted Sig Kadet Senior ARF for Club Trainer fenderjw Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 05, 2006 10:56 AM
Help choosing brushless motor and battery for Sig Kadet EP42 ARF Peter Young Power Systems 4 Mar 01, 2005 09:41 PM
sig kadet senior on electric hollowpoint Electric Plane Talk 2 Nov 26, 2004 01:54 AM
Sig Kadet Senior ARF conversion fliir Sport Planes 12 Jul 13, 2004 11:37 AM