HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:24 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Errors in Hobby Mags.....

Who besides me has noticed an abundance of errors in some of the hobby mags? It seems that some article contributors are worse than others, frequently giving what I would consider bad information - I don't know if it's a lack of proofreading or what, but it's only going to hurt our hobby in the long run.

As an example that comes to mind - one article mentions that while you can charge Nicads at 3C and NiMH at 2C, you can leave them on to charge at 10C for days. I am sure they intended it to be C/10, but I wonder how many novices will catch this or how many will destroy a battery? Another article in the same mag. mentions soldering 'resistors' to the motor (capacitors?). If it was a couple of isolated incidents, then I can understand, but it seems like lately there has been a rash of this sort of thing.

Excuse the venting - had to do it.

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:30 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
What magazine and issue? I would be interesting reading.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:41 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I really don't want to say which mags I have noticed the problems, I just wonder if I am the only one with this gripe. I don't want to turn this into a magazine slamming session, so I hope nobody took my original post wrong.

Steve
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:51 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
I've noticed the same problem, and know exactly which magazine you're talking about. Another problem with the same article is, he doesn't explain what "C" is.

Reminds me of that useless "Radio Control Hobbies" show on DIY.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:54 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,486 Posts
Best one I saw was to someone who had blown two ESCs in flight - they suggested fitting a fuse between battery pack and ESC

I emailed and pointed out this was rather dangerous when BEC was being used, no reply.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:11 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
While some of the problems may come from the author, I can tell you the magazines are using "interns" to do the grunt work.
A year ago, one of my articles was published with a caption instructing aileron hinging while showing a picture of a rudder.
I had corrected the error in the "proofs", but it was printed anyway.
The interns are learning as they go, some better than others, but most do not fly or build Model airplanes.
Many of the magazines share editors with a "family" of magazines owned by one company.
The same editor that works on a RC mag also edits an Aquarium mag, dog and cat mag, etc....

http://rcguy.tripod.com
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:21 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,333 Posts
Re: Errors in Hobby Mags.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve McBride
As an example that comes to mind - one article mentions that while you can charge Nicads at 3C and NiMH at 2C, you can leave them on to charge at 10C for days. I am sure they intended it to be C/10, but I wonder how many novices will catch this or how many will destroy a battery? Another article in the same mag. mentions soldering 'resistors' to the motor (capacitors?). If it was a couple of isolated incidents, then I can understand, but it seems like lately there has been a rash of this sort of thing.

Excuse the venting - had to do it.

Steve
Steve, I know the article and know the author! Believe me this was definately one you should put on the MAGS!

when the galley proof came for that article, the author caught that error and a few others.... he told them (by email so he had a record) to make it the way he wrote it in the original article! Did they refuse or just forget? either way he is very embarassed!

Tom Hunt
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:44 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Tom,

You know, I got to thinking about this after posting, and began to conclude that is perhaps was more the mags than the authors.

The particular article I quoted above was written by one of the most prolific authors currently in our hobby. I suppose when you are writing so many articles a month, the chances of an error in one of them is greater than the person writing 3-4 a year.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, please understand that. I just wonder what can be done about so many errors making it to print?

Steve
Old Nov 08, 2002, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Well, I'm glad I held off on sending said author a nasty message for teaching newbie pilots how to make hand grenades. The fact that he noticed the error and attempted to have it corrected means he's not the clueless one.

Looks like some clueless intern in the layout department took dramatic license with the article.

What could they do? Well, they could've hired me when I applied for the open position
Old Nov 08, 2002, 11:19 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
name names!
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Nov 08, 2002, 11:55 AM
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Why? The name I could name is not the name of the guilty party. The guilty party is some faceless intern behind the scenes who thought he/she new better than the author.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 11:59 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve McBride
Tom,

-SNIP-

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, please understand that. I just wonder what can be done about so many errors making it to print?

Steve
Maybe the answer is Peer Review. Have a prospective article reviewed prior to publication by someone with knowledge in the specific subject area to catch these sorts of mistakes.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Nov 08, 2002, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkirsch1
Why?
Because newbies, like myself, are reading these articles and may not catch these mistakes.
Besides, anyone who has read this thread will not be blaming the author.

Maybe soholingo should of said Articles! Articles!

Crash
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Nov 08, 2002, 01:03 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Here is a Name

How about the November 2002 issue of Quite Flyer.

Have you ever heard of an Axeox SL18 controller pg 13 under "Controller Note"

or

"New MIMH Batteries" pg 14 top left Ive got to get me some of those.....

at $6.50 per issue I expect alot and I'm dissapointed!
Fast-Forward is offline Find More Posts by Fast-Forward
Old Nov 08, 2002, 01:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,716 Posts
That 2C NiMH charge rate in Magazine X was cited recently in a post on NiMH charge rates. Unfortunately, the fact that it was in a magazine gives it enormous credibility.

Did the author send corrections to the magazine after the publication was issued? Did the magazine print the corrections?

Anyone can make a mistake but there are ways that they can be corrected.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy