Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:10 AM
moody, al
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
Hey! Anybody ever convert Air Hog P-40 to R/c?

I want to convert a Simpletech Air Hog P-40 to R/C, and I'm looking for motor/battery/setup suggestions. Can someone throw me a bone, here?
RichK is offline Find More Posts by RichK
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2002, 10:04 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I think you're pretty much in uncharted territory! I have an Air Hog that someone gave me for my b-day a few years ago, those things can really fly! Mine ended up on a neighbor's roof for a few days I've actually toyed with converting one myself. You should be able to use standard lightweight gear, like GWS pico receiver and servos. You don't need an ESC since the plane is powering itself, but you do need an onboard battery pack to power the receiver. Probably a 4 cell 250 Nicad pack or smaller. Before you do anything, balance the Air Hog and mark the CG. After you install the gear, you want it to balance in the same place.

Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 08, 2002, 10:28 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Tres, I've never really looked at an Air Hog and don't know if they are easily convertible to R/C or not. But this is the one that has really raised my interest:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=70929
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 08, 2002, 10:37 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
WOAH! That is way cool! Hmmm, what could I borrow gear out of to try this out?
Old Nov 08, 2002, 11:52 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
There's a little more about it at the attached link. From the size, it sounds like a 280 motor max, or, depending on weight, maybe even an IPS. Wonder how much of that 2.3 lb. package weight is just the bare aircraft?

http://www.kbtoys.com/toys/product.html?PID=1750039
Old Nov 08, 2002, 01:14 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==It sounds like a 280 motor max, or, depending on weight, maybe even an IPS==

Heck, I was just thinking about using the existing motor and slapping the R/C gear on it to keep it from flying out of sight! Have you seen an Air Hog fly? Those air motors are surprisingly powerful!

==Wonder how much of that 2.3 lb. package weight is just the bare aircraft? ==

I'll weigh mine when I get home, but I'd be surprised if it's over a pound. It's a different design than the one in the pic, but they are probably close in weight.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 06:56 PM
moody, al
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
p-40 conversion

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm thinking speed 280 dd, ailerons and elevator, 7c 1100 mah nimh. Plane has 25" span, 100 sq. in. (+-) wing area. AUW in the neighborhood of 8-9oz. I'll post the results!
Old Nov 08, 2002, 07:01 PM
moody, al
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
correction

The battery i'm thinking of is 300 mAh nimh, not 1100. Anybody ever tried the 9v-style nimh 150mAh batts, wired in series?
Old Nov 08, 2002, 07:15 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Rich, I flew a Tiger Moth with the Rayovac NiMH 9V for awhile. They were OK, but inconsistent and fragile. You don't read too much about people using the 9Vs anymore. After switching over to lithium cells, I'd never go back. I think you'd be better off with the good quality 300mAh NiMH cells rather than the NiMH 9Vs. For really long flights, though, you can't beat lithium.

How sure are you of those numbers (100 sq. in. (+-) wing area. AUW in the neighborhood of 8-9oz.)? That's not a lot of wing area for that much weight, so I think you are probably going in the right direction with direct drive. Do you have any idea what the bare airframe weighs?
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:13 PM
moody, al
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
Do you have any idea what the bare airframe weighs?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, Dave. I e-mailed Simpletech, and their reply was 104g (3.7oz). I'm estimating the empty airframe weight @ 2 oz +-. I'm just making a swag @ AUW, with 2 HS-55's, 555 rec., 5 or 10A ESC. The biggest variable is batt. wt.
I looked @ plane @ Target, & estimate 3" chord @ tip, 4" chord @ root, thus 100sq.in. area.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:22 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Just a side not to how powerful the air powered motors went thru a wind screen and cracked a window of my neighbors house about 2 years ago. Too bad it was the smoothest longest flight ever with it. I do love em.

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:52 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I just weighed mine, it's 3.4 ounces. It is called the "Firestormer" and has a 19-1/2" wingspan. It's much lighter than I remembered, no wonder it flew so well!
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:25 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Rich and Tres, those are amazingly light airframe weights to come from a 2.3 pound box! I've seen those Air Hog boxes in a number of stores, and never even looked twice at them. Now I'm going to be making a fool of myself elbowing all of the little kids out of the way to get to the toy shelves at the local discount stores.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:59 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Don't forget, the 2.3 pounds includes the pump to charge them up!

Sounds like they are similar in size to the Cox Viper and Highway Patrol. Maybe a shade bigger.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 09, 2002, 10:33 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Air Hog P-40 Convert

Yes, I attempted to convert it. I used 2 Hites 55 servos for elvator and ailerons and a hitec reciever from the Sky Scooter. IT worked with some success, with the AUW around 9 ounces. It flew reasonbly well, until the engine ran out af air and it just dove. I flared about 5 feet above the ground and nailed to landing. RichK, if u have any questions, drop me a line.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87