HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Water Boy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Cool
Scratchbuilt Metal Planes/Helis

The wife and I spent our 4th with my bro-in-law going to Hollyday World in Santa Claus,IN. On the way there we saw someone backyard on the side on the interstate, that was full of these planes and helis that were huge. So after spending the day in Santa Claus we headed back to Springfield,IL. We stopped at the plane house and I took some pictures ( while parked on the interstate) Thats when a guy came to the back porch and motioned me around. So we stopped and fueled up and headed that way.
Upon arriving we were met by a very welcoming man, he introduced himself as Tud. We talked for a good hour about his planes and other stuff. We took a few more pics up close to get a better look at the planes. The amount of detail he puts into these works of art is amazing. All handmade from scratch in his shop. The first one he made was an Apache helicopter. It was made ove 14 years ago and is still looking good. He just put a new coat of paint on it a few months ago. his pride and joy is the 14.5' wingspan A10 Warthog. This thing is a monster, weighs around 600lbs and has working turbines (blades only turn).
I had asked him if he sells them. He said that someone offered him 10,000 for for the A10. That pretty much gave me my answer. Here are some pictures, I did'nt have the digi with me so I had to use a dispos. If your ever traveling down Highway 64 around Elberfeld,IN stop in and see Tud A.K.A Lloyd Krohn. Just be ready for some great conversations and great planes, I mean works of art.
Here is the Lat and Long so that you can see them in Google Earth or Google maps. 3810'13.11"N
8726'57.87"W
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Last edited by Water Boy; Jul 05, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,688 Posts
Those are stunning! This fella should get a write up on CNN or something. Thanks for taking the pics and posting them here!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I only wish I had the digital with me.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that he balances every prop he makes, so that they will spin in the wind properly.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Jul 09, 2007, 02:01 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,502 Posts
WOW! That is cool and that A10 is awesome!
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1 Posts
Great Pics

I stumbled upon this great roadside museum about the year 2000. I am a band director in Southern Illinois and put up pictures as well at:
http://carmibands.com/Tud_Krohn/

Roger Thompson
bandman1967 is offline Find More Posts by bandman1967