HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2007, 03:12 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Discussion
EPP P-38 Warbird, 2ch Conversion to 3ch

I've had this P-38 project on the back burner for some time. There were some design mods I had to figure out.
It comes as a molded EPP, 2ch, differential thrust plane, with a flat bottom 19" wing.
I gutted the electronics and started figuring where I could put the 3ch gear. I'm going to use a Berg4L, 2 Pico servos, run both motors off one ESC and a 2 cell lipo. I'll use the stock motors at first, then maybe go to some 12mm direct drive motors.
Since its not too slow, I wanted to go ailerons and elevator.
The problem is, its got alot of dihederal as a beginners plane.
So I went on several warbird website's to see what the real P-38 had in the way of dihederal and found a few good pics.

Now to take most of the dihederal out!
At first I was going to slice each wing at the root and glue it back to get the dihederal. But after studing the website pics, I decided to slice the fuselage on the bottom side and sand out a thin wedge, then reglue it. It worked pertty good.
Now for the ailerons and elevator. Keeping the C/G in the right place will be the problem. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2007, 06:57 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

Looks very interesting, will be nice to see how she flys.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:51 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
hi butch777, how does this fly? anymore pics of your conversion? How did you slit the fuse? exacto knife? did you fly it stock? sorry about all the questions

I have one of these planes on order and may convert to 3ch if it doesn't fly good stock.
galaxiex is online now Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:00 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I haven't been able to work on this for a bit, I have about a dozen ARF Boomers I'm trying to get ready.
Yea, I used a xacto and EPP glued it back together. I never did fly it stock. Its just too windy here for a cheap 2ch. It will be another couple weeks before I get back to it. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:21 AM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
I haven't been able to work on this for a bit, I have about a dozen ARF Boomers I'm trying to get ready.
Yea, I used a xacto and EPP glued it back together. I never did fly it stock. Its just too windy here for a cheap 2ch. It will be another couple weeks before I get back to it. Butch
Cool, mine has not arrived yet but I just finished a 3 ch conversion on my B17 and I love it... flys great.... as a 2 ch it sucked...

Too bad it's so windy where you are, I have a bit of trouble w/ the wind here too, (praire ya know ) but we get alot of calm days too so it's ok.

I'm getting bored w/ my 2 ch stuff (blame the micro Cessna for that ) but I like smallish planes, so doing these 3 ch conversions will keep me busy.

please post when you get your P 38 done, Thanks, Dale
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:09 AM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Well I decided to post here instead of clogging up the board with another thread...

My .Buzz P-38 came in today.

Specs.
wing span. 19"
length. 14.25"
weight. 95 grams
twin motor, counter rotating 3 blade props,
2 throttle steps. (cruise and full, 3 if you count OFF)
turn with zero throttle

I did not even try to fly it w/ the stock batt since I have the batt that came in my B-17. (modded the B-17 to 3ch + lipo will post on that later)

P-38, stock batt > 5 cell nimh, 150 mAh 6.0V 1/3 aaa

B-17, stock batt > 6 cell nimh, 350 mAh 7.2V 2/3 aaa
In the P-38 it's excellent! snug fit, but thats good!

How did it fly? Very well! I am very happy with how this model performs...

It was getting dark/dusky when I flew so I turned the lights on and total flight time was at least 15 minutes. The B-17 battery had only been cycled once before so I hope flight times will increase w/ more cycles.
Last edited by galaxiex; Nov 06, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: to shorten a rather long post...