SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2007, 09:32 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Discussion
Charger manufacturers, time for next gen?

Isnt it time for the next gen of chargers,
We have larger and larger batteries, more cells in series, however, the best chargers with balancing solutions dont go past 220watt.

Batteries can now be charged at 2C-3C, still limited by our chargers...

I run several helicopters which I use 12s1p 5000 packs, only way for me to shorten the chargetimes now is to buy more chargers...

If there was a 400watt solution as good as Estation 902/PB6 or TP1010/210v combo I would buy it in a hardbeat.

It couldnt be THAT hard to produce, I mean, I already have a AC driven CC/CV units that can deliver 20 amps at 50 volt, thats 1000 watt.
I had high hopes for using that together with VBalancer, but like TomC I found out that its not a very good solution.

But a digital version with a good balancing solution, I would think Im not the only one out there wanting that.

- Fredrik
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2007, 10:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel

I run several helicopters which I use 12s1p 5000 packs, only way for me to shorten the chargetimes now is to buy more chargers...

- Fredrik
Me too. I am using two TP1010c chargers for my 12s helicopters. Those 5000 12s batteries are sure nice for large helicopters but we definitely need some better no frills low cost 12s chargers.

It would also be nice to be able to discharge a 5000 12s battery at 1C so I can keep track of the battery condition.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 05, 2007, 01:11 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
your application is not main stream, I doubt if any MFR will do anything about it
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jul 05, 2007, 01:22 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
your application is not main stream, I doubt if any MFR will do anything about it
Ion-X2
Razor
T-rex 700 on the horizon..
Logo 600 with 650 blades..

Its coming faster then you think.

But regardless, a 200watt (Estation-902) cant supply more then 1.6C on a single 6s1p 5000 which probably THE most sold E-heli is using (T-rex 600..)
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:14 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,778 Posts
The other trick is a power supply for these MEGA chargers. Yeah you got a charger that can charge 2 6s4000 packs. But when you go to the field what are you going to use to power the charger? You could hook it to your car, then leave the car running while you charge.

It seems many professional RC pilots now are investing into gas generators. I kind find that funny because you got rid oy your gas plane or heli, but now you have to buy a gas generator.

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:50 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
I have a gas generator as well
But for me, most of the time I would like to fast charge is in the morning, when you know weather is gonna get good
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:55 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Large 12s packs are becoming a lot more popular than you might think.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 05, 2007, 03:18 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogrc
The other trick is a power supply for these MEGA chargers. Yeah you got a charger that can charge 2 6s4000 packs. But when you go to the field what are you going to use to power the charger? You could hook it to your car, then leave the car running while you charge.

It seems many professional RC pilots now are investing into gas generators. I kind find that funny because you got rid oy your gas plane or heli, but now you have to buy a gas generator.

2dogrc
if U need to fly that 6S pack again out in the field
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jul 05, 2007, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,479 Posts
I bought a Honda 1000 generator and attached a Pyramid 45 Amp power supply to it. It can power multiple e-Station 902's and BC-8's without even getting out of ECO mode. Lots of money, but well worth it.

Evan Chapkis
RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2007, 10:00 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
The fact that I fly all electric but now have a gas generator amuses my non-electric flying buddies greatly but my generator only cost 33/$60 and I don't have to clean oily cr*p off it after every flight
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Jul 06, 2007, 10:19 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
I have a gas generator, but with 10 minutes to the field, I rather go home and charge.
Takes 4 hours to charge the packs though, could of course buy even more chargers and balancers, but I rather have one that I could charge faster with.
Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:10 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
So what's the problem with a CC/CV power supply? Seems like a lot of folks are using a Mastech or similar power supply.

Have you looked at the Schulze chargers?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:27 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
So what's the problem with a CC/CV power supply?
No "smart" balancing solution + non-digital, easy to make a mistake, specially in the field.
Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:45 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel
No "smart" balancing solution + non-digital, easy to make a mistake, specially in the field.
What does a digital solution offer that a non-digital solution doesn't offer?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:59 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
What does a digital solution offer that a non-digital solution doesn't offer
Mastech has knobs where you have to "dial" in correct voltage, resolution is one decimal, its kind of hard to get such exact voltage which lipo requires.
except for the resolution issue, Accently hit the knobs and you are in a world of trouble.

Issue with VBalancer is that for 10-12s they dont commiunicate, so one balancer can balance down and one leave it as is, result is that you have half the pack way off from the other (overcharge on one), individually they are in balance though.