HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2001, 06:01 AM
marietta, GA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
40 Posts
Which ECO blades are better?

Well, the Ikarus "GFK" blades have finally given up the ghost, so it's time to pick the next set.

Has anyone have had or have both the MS composite carbon AND the Ikarus GFK (fiberglass) blades? Efficiency? Performance? Durability?

Now with Ikarus' lower prices in the USA, the blades are only a few dollars apart.

Also, does anyone have the MS Composite Tailboom or the Tail Blades too?

jhudak7 is offline Find More Posts by jhudak7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2001, 07:59 AM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Ive got a set of all the blades.No real useful info here but a few observations. The Icarus ones didnt fit the holders. Way to thick for the aluminum head anyway. I started sanding them down and should be able to test them as soon as I find another balancer.Ive been flying the MS Composites and like them. I also bought a new pair of woodies and see that now they come precovered and the root is different from the older ones.They also seem to be alot lighter. Ive read post about the MS tail blades.They are longer than the stock and the already small clearance betreen the ground is now even closer.Now my question. What blade balancer are you guys using. Im considering the Kyosho. My Robart high point balancer will not fit the hole in the blades.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Jun 05, 2001, 08:43 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,380 Posts
Just a suggestion, I found it no big deal to pop the links loose, pull the bolt out and balance the whole head on the high point with the blades attached using the flybar as the pivot. One side of the high point needs to be turned such that the wheels are towards the outside which gives you an extra 1/8" of width.

If you have an extra mainshaft I think you can also balance it that way as well, haven't tried that yet.

Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jun 05, 2001, 01:00 PM
marietta, GA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
40 Posts
I don't even OWN a balancer. I borrow my friend's kyosho and it really is slick. It is one of the only ones that can measure the CG position, so when you DO add tape, it is correct with respect to the blade CG.

I even did the poor man's balancer one time.

Use a perfectly round rod on a flat glass surface to detect the CG position. I then found a long threaded rod and bolted both blades together and then used two drinking glasses to support the rod.

Those blades were just fine and caused no problems, but I still think the kyosho one is more accurate.

A high-point is usually used only for the tail rotor. Which in my case, if the blade, grips, bearings etc. are equal weights on both sides, it is balanced just fine. I have a gram scale for this.
jhudak7 is offline Find More Posts by jhudak7
Old Jun 05, 2001, 08:56 PM
New Zealand
Joined Mar 2001
206 Posts
Jim Jam,i have found this too with the gfks and the ali head,i have started the sand down and am just about there,question the provided blade bolts seem to small for the gfk blades and to get them to move loose enough in the holders there seems to be a bit of play in the blade hole,is this bad or will the forces just pull them out?.
i balanced the blades when i got them and they came out spot on ,i am keeping an eye on them as i go.i use a plastic glass shelf divider(you press it on to a bracket and the glass shelf sits on top,it has two holes either side that i bolt each blade on to and it has a centered divot that i place on a bit of wire and let it rock. http://www.geocities.com/gonk65nf/gg.html?991798179780

[This message has been edited by will p (edited 06-05-2001).]
will p is offline Find More Posts by will p