HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2007, 01:21 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Alert
Support our Troops Part III... LETS HELP OUR SOLDIERS FLY IN THE DESERT!

LETS DO OUR PART. Its the 4th of July today, and what better way to celebrate than helping out some of the guys who help us stay free.

Theres a bunch of Marines, including SGT Masters and his guys, over there now. The guys are building planes out of scraps (like I did initially) just to get to fly. Lets get them some proper flying equipment.

I have a few planes that I am going to get ready and ship over to SGT Masters next week. I dont have any servos or anything for them though. Anyone have some extra electronics they can add in? Any misc. parts/pieces? Any other planes/kits?

I know we all have stuff laying around that is nearly junk to us, but is like a treasure trove when your deployed.

Post what you can send in here and lets get these guys flyin if we can.

Here is a good address to send stuff too.

Sgt Masters
Mals 29 Main PC
UIC 77129
FPO, AE 09509-7129

Thanks to all who help out!

Laine.

Here is a link to Part I
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348173

Here is Part II
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ort+our+troops
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Oct 11, 2007 at 02:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2007, 01:43 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,456 Posts
Great idea Laine. We should always be thinking about our troops in harms way, but especially today. Without the military and all those who have sacrificed before us, we wouldn't be having a 4th of July.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 04, 2007, 03:41 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Great to hear Frank. I just hope more people will jump on board.

No matter how small or insignificant a piece or part may seem to us at home, everything you can get your hands on over there is gold.

There's no LHS to go and get those "little things" you always need.

Laine
Old Jul 04, 2007, 04:53 PM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
United States, AL, Headland
Joined Jun 2005
312 Posts
Come on guys! You all can do WAY better than this! These guys want to fly, they are building planes from cardboard for crying out loud, and only one other person has responed to this! :0 How can this be?! On the 4th of July with them over seas away from this great country, serving us, protecting us, putting their lives on the line for us .... I know there are a lot of guys that are on here today and have looked at this thread .... do your part and help not only support our troops but the hobby as well.

Kristy
kmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by kmopar69
Old Jul 04, 2007, 11:53 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Dont worry Kristy, there will be more. Im certain everyone has some stuff laying around they arent going to use... brushed motors/controllers, NiMh or Nicad batteries, old TX's RX's ect...

Remember... If you post it, they will come! lol

Laine
Old Jul 05, 2007, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
I've got 2 old servos, but the connectors have been cut off and used elsewhere. To use they would need some soldering and shrink wrap and new connectors. I also have a 180 motor and a gearbox and prop. These have also been hacked up some, but still work fine. Is this kind of scrap worth sending?

I could also add a set of plans, some balsa.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; Jul 05, 2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 08:59 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels
I've got 2 old servos, but the connectors have been cut off and used elsewhere. To use they would need some soldering and shrink wrap and new connectors. I also have a 180 motor and a gearbox and prop. These have also been hacked up some, but still work fine. Is this kind of scrap worth sending?

I could also add a set of plans, some balsa.
Absolutely worth sending. Im sure I, or someone else, can find some servo plugs, shrink wrap, connectors ect... laying around. If someone can kick in some CA/Epoxy etc.. that would help. I may have some covering I can send too.

I have a few brushed motors and maybe some gear boxes too, so they will all be going.

Basically, this is a great way to get some good use out of that stuff I may never use.

Keep it coming guys! Lets get these Marines flyin right!!!

Laine
Old Jul 05, 2007, 05:45 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Laine,
I am glad that you resurrected this idea. I hate the thought that this type of thing seems "faddish" but I am as guilty as anyone.

I don't think I have that much left and I have not been very active lately myself. But I will see what I do have and get it out.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Jul 05, 2007, 06:06 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Laine,

I saw this thread and I wanted to get involved. I was wondering what kind of shipping restrictions and costs there are for sending stuff. Is sending airplanes built or kits cost-prohibitive? Or is it best to send small stuff?

Also, are there any other guys on here that are deployed elsewhere that are in need of RC gear? Nothing against Sgt Masters, but we probably out to spread our generosity around if possible.

Lemme know...

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dee-grose; Jul 05, 2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 10:02 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thanks you Andy, the more people that help out, the better off our guys are over there. Believe me, its very nice when your deployed to have something to take your mind off the day to day "stuff".

There really are no "restrictions". I mean, you cant send beer or whiskey (legally ) but as far as airplanes go, the only problem would be trying to send fuel (nitro). Other than that, everything else is no problem.

As far as cost goes, its no more expensive that shipping a package in CONUS (continental US) with the Post Office. The APO address's are essentially a New York address. So, if you can send a package in the States, you can send it to an APO.

If you keep the packages under 48" (I think) the cost is pretty low. Anything much bigger and they charge you an "oversize" charge. Still, its not all that expensive either. JUST BE SURE TO PACKAGE THINGS WELL! The Army post offices are not known for their "gentleness" on boxes.

I agree that we should spread the wealth. If anyone else knows someone who is deployed that flys RC, PLEASE post some info so we can get them some gear too.

Hopefully SGT Masters will be along soon to let us know what they need the most.

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to a deployed soldier to know that people DO CARE.

Laine.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 11:43 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,103 Posts
Hi Laine,
Count me in. When you find out what they need, let me know. I'll sort through the stuff I have laying around....

later,
Mel D.
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jul 06, 2007, 02:13 AM
I came,I saw,I conquered
Iraq
Joined Jun 2007
57 Posts
thank you

Just want to say thank you to you all. So far I have a dx6 and receiver, 2 good servos, the other 2 works but well need to be replaced soon. I have an e-sky 3800kv helicopter motor that I rewrapped to us for a prop. A sonic lipo 2100 15c that works. For hard ware we have welding rods and scrap sheet metal for arms. Gunny has an E-sky transmitter, couple servos, and 2100 lipo. Thank you all for the hand. We all appreciate you take time out of your day to help us out, out here. Thank you. If we get inof gear, were going to start a RC club out here. We have some marines in line, all are welcome. We practice on a sim when itís too windy for the condor. Iím getting some materiel to build a RC shed. Weíll seed some pics here soon. Thank you
Sgt Masters
wolvealone is offline Find More Posts by wolvealone
Old Jul 06, 2007, 02:48 AM
I came,I saw,I conquered
Iraq
Joined Jun 2007
57 Posts
thank you

Just want to say thank you to you all. So far I have a dx6 and receiver, 2 good servos, the other 2 works but well need to be replaced soon. I have an e-sky 3800kv helicopter motor that I rewrapped to us for a prop. A sonic lipo 2100 15c that works. For hard ware we have welding rods and scrap sheet metal for arms. Gunny has an E-sky transmitter, couple servos, and 2100 lipo. Thank you all for the hand. We all appreciate you take time out of your day to help us out, out here. Thank you. If we get enough gear, were going to start a RC club out here. We have some marines in line that would love to learn. after seeing my cardbord condor they became hooked. We practice on a sim when itís too windy for the condor. Iím getting some materiel to build a RC shed. Weíll seed some pics here as soon as the building begins. Thank you for your help to make this possible
Sgt Masters
wolvealone is offline Find More Posts by wolvealone
Last edited by wolvealone; Jul 06, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2007, 08:49 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Duval
Hi Laine,
Count me in. When you find out what they need, let me know. I'll sort through the stuff I have laying around....

later,
Mel D.

Glad to see your on-board Mel! Somehow I knew you would find this! Thanks a bunch.

SGT Masters, what do you guys have for tools? Hot glue guns? CA glue? Epoxy? Can you use any of that stuff? I assume you have 110v power so that shouldnt be a problem.

Laine.
Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:29 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
897 Posts
Laine, do we send stuff to you or can we send direct? I'll be going to the hobby store this weekend and will pick out a kit to send. Do they prefer balsa or foam?
Thanks. Kyle
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller