HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2007, 08:39 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Nov 2003
135 Posts
Help!
Question: how to join 2 pieces of surgical tubing for hi-start

Hi

I am trying to figure out how to safely join 2 pieces of surgical tubing for a hi-start. I was thinking of an eye screw with tie wraps, but I am afraid it will give under the forces.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Allan
Allan_A is offline Find More Posts by Allan_A
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:45 AM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
get a piece of wooden dowel that is a little bigger than the i.d. of the tubing. Lube tubing and dowel with soapy water and jam the dowel in as far as you can; 1" to 1 1/2" is sufficient. Measure how far it went in, and cut it off with the same amount sticking out of the tube, then stick the other tubing on the same way. When it's dry, it'll stay. For a connection at the end of the hi-start, use brass tubing. Flatten the protruding end and drill a hole to accept a split ring. This has worked for me for 40 years, no failures.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:54 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
I have the same problem but what wooden dowel means.I understand that it is of wood but dowel.
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:56 AM
Mayflower AR 24m WNW of Little Rock
Joined Mar 2007
231 Posts
Wood works great, however, if you want a two piece

hi start for short launches, use the brass tubing here as well with a nice heavy duty fishing line swivel with clasp.

QUOTE=tonyestep]get a piece of wooden dowel that is a little bigger than the i.d. of the tubing. Lube tubing and dowel with soapy water and jam the dowel in as far as you can; 1" to 1 1/2" is sufficient. Measure how far it went in, and cut it off with the same amount sticking out of the tube, then stick the other tubing on the same way. When it's dry, it'll stay. For a connection at the end of the hi-start, use brass tubing. Flatten the protruding end and drill a hole to accept a split ring. This has worked for me for 40 years, no failures.[/QUOTE]
Stan_in_AR is offline Find More Posts by Stan_in_AR
Last edited by Stan_in_AR; Jul 06, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2007, 10:22 AM
AMA 7696
Roswell, NM
Joined Dec 2006
512 Posts
I agree but would add to bevel/smooth the ends inserted into the tubing so you don't have a sharp corner/edge......O.L.
O.L. Adcock is offline Find More Posts by O.L. Adcock
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:08 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
I tie the tubing as well as the string, on, with a knot. I am bad with the names of knots, so can't tell you the names of them. This worked back in ott 1 and will in all probability work today.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:25 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich
I tie the tubing as well as the string, on, with a knot. I am bad with the names of knots, so can't tell you the names of them. This worked back in ott 1 and will in all probability work today.

erich

Clove-hitch knot using a key ring works for me. You can add extra tubing or string this way.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:29 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Ahhhh...clove hitch...knew it had something to do with spices. The string knot maybe, what people use to call (and maybe still do), a fishermans knot .

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Jul 04, 2007, 05:05 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Coming from a proud seafaring nation (well before the recent Iraq fiasco at any rate ) I offer you the gift of animated knots by a former world record setting speed sailor.

Knots
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Last edited by mr_editor; Jul 06, 2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 08:08 PM
Broomfield, CO 80023
Joined Dec 2002
354 Posts
Neat web site - Thanks!

John C
John_R_C is offline Find More Posts by John_R_C
Old Jul 06, 2007, 04:32 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I just use electrical ties. Fast, simple, works great. Place the center one first. Stretch the tubes and tighten one on each side. Havenít had failures yet! Take a look!

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jul 06, 2007, 07:32 PM
My dog can sense lift
Ansonia, CT USA
Joined Jun 2005
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyestep
get a piece of wooden dowel that is a little bigger than the i.d. of the tubing. Lube tubing and dowel with soapy water and jam the dowel in as far as you can; 1" to 1 1/2" is sufficient. Measure how far it went in, and cut it off with the same amount sticking out of the tube, then stick the other tubing on the same way. When it's dry, it'll stay. For a connection at the end of the hi-start, use brass tubing. Flatten the protruding end and drill a hole to accept a split ring. This has worked for me for 40 years, no failures.
I use the same system, Tony, and I've never had a problem, either.

As someone mentioned, it's advisable to bevel the sharp corners of the dowel to reduce wear on the surgical tubing. If you're concerned about the tubing staying in place on the dowel or brass tube, you can wick thin CA into the splice.

Jack
UnkyJack is offline Find More Posts by UnkyJack
Old Jul 06, 2007, 09:18 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,499 Posts
I have used loctite blackmax 480 wich is designed for such use.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:00 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,457 Posts
Hobby Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_A
Hi

I am trying to figure out how to safely join 2 pieces of surgical tubing for a hi-start. I was thinking of an eye screw with tie wraps, but I am afraid it will give under the forces.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Allan

There is this method also

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/histart.htm

Just scroll down to see the aluminum joiners.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang