Are you people in the USA going to the Worlds in Itlay ? 7/8/9/September 07

Ta Graham
notsoquick is offline Find More Posts by notsoquick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2007, 03:11 PM
Vintage MX fan
Joined May 2007
177 Posts
No, I'm not. I wish though. I would love to tour Ferrari's Marranello factory and ride my 1:1 bike around those beautifully twisted mountain roads that surround it.
Firebanshee is offline Find More Posts by Firebanshee
Old Jul 05, 2007, 09:03 AM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,200 Posts
can't belive no one going from the states. There was talk earlyer in the year of you guys holding the WC next year as the other main country intrested in RC bike
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Jul 05, 2007, 10:24 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Maybe if there was a heat of ARX540 super motard more would guys from the USA would turn up
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
Old Jul 05, 2007, 11:25 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69
can't belive no one going from the states. There was talk earlyer in the year of you guys holding the WC next year as the other main country intrested in RC bike
Best bring it back to the UK then.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Jul 05, 2007, 12:14 PM
Editor, RCCA
Chatsworth, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,151 Posts
I would love to participate in this year's Worlds, but I can't afford it.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jul 05, 2007, 12:18 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer
I would think that's the reason for a lot of people giving it a miss this year,it was certainly the main reason I passed,much as I would have liked to have gone.

Allan
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:03 PM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
I was planning on going but I haven't touched my R/C's since last years Worlds. We just moved to Stuttgart and I all my stuff is still in Bosnia, ohhh and my wife got me tickets to the Misano round of MotoGP which is around the same time so its a double whammy against me as far as timing goes.
Tom
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou
Old Jul 05, 2007, 03:53 PM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,200 Posts
Quote:

I guess your right, i was looking into doing the Roar you guys are holding but could not justify the cost.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:50 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Same here. Our little racing group fell apart here in NC several months ago, so I haven't been running the r/c bikes like I used to, much less racing them. As the other fellows in the group moved on to different interests, I guess I did too. The new Ducati has taken a big bite out of my recreational budget for a while, especially when you start figuring in the prices of aftermarket goodies for Italian bikes. So there went any real chance of my going to any r/c races, either in the US or Italy.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:03 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
BTW, for you old-timers, swheels is still around. He's knee deep (knee down?) in racing his pocketbikes. He's got about half a dozen of them now, so half of his garage is taken up with pocketbike frames, engines and parts, and the other half is taken up with all of his r/c bikes gathering dust. He's planning on going up to VIR (Virginia International Raceway) for a big pocket motard/superbike racing event in August. I'm sure he will do well. I still have my pocketbike, but I can't keep up with him on it without risking serious harm.

We still talk about getting the r/c bikes out for some laps again. We did have some great racing with them when our group was active. Maybe when the weather cools off a bit, who knows.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:12 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
So what you are saying is RC Bikes in the USA is dead and dying? Jees that's a shame, growing like crazy over here !
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:35 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82
So what you are saying is RC Bikes in the USA is dead and dying? Jees that's a shame, growing like crazy over here !
I can't speak for the entire USA. The guys out in CA may be having a fine time. They have an excellent 1/5 scale track out there, and a huge population to draw from.

But in our little corner of the world the bike racing appears to have petered out. The one LHS around here has been great promoting bikes, but the most we ever got at one meeting was maybe 7 or 8 of us. Nothing wrong with that, we always had a great time with some very close racing, but we never could get more than the group of die-hards to come out regularly.

Part of it was obviously the learning curve with the bikes. Someone would come out with a new bike, we'd help them get it set up and going, and then never see them again after the first time.

The other reason is probably that we really had no track. We just got the bikes out in a parking lot with cones. We'd try to change lots or layouts a bit, but it was always a chore to find asphalt decent enough for a nice track. Our track layouts always had areas of ruts and bumps to avoid, and they ended up taking a toll on bikes over the course of a weekend. The nearest r/c track is about 50 miles away, and it is too small and tight for bike racing, even electrics. The last real track I was able to run my bikes on was in LA in 2005, over 3000 miles away!!

North Carolina is probably about the size of the UK. If we had even 4 or five suitable tracks in the state, the bikes might have more of a chance. I did everything I could think of locally to promote them over the last 4-5 years, but I guess it's been a losing battle.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:44 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123
Someone would come out with a new bike, we'd help them get it set up and going, and then never see them again after the first time.
Sometimes the same here,someone turns up,gets help and is often given spare parts and then never seen again despite their assurances that they want to come racing.
I always try to help newcomers out,but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it when I end up buying parts to replace what I've given away.
At least there's regular racing in the UK and the numbers are slowly but surely growing.

Allan
Old Jul 09, 2007, 12:40 PM
Editor, RCCA
Chatsworth, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,151 Posts
Same here on the West Coast. We've had lots of guys come up to us, we'll get the bike set up, then they never show up again. It must take a certain kind of personality to stick with the bikes. Maybe they don't take us as seriously because we are willing to lend a hand or give out parts. How about we start scoffing at all bike newbies like the 4-wheel guys (okay, I'm stereotyping, and I've never been that way in my 20 years or running 4-wheel RC).

But seriously, I'm focusing on the ROAR 1/5-scale event in Washington, as I feel it is a better "investment" of my time and money with the hopes that we'll get more bike exposure here in the States.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer