HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2007, 08:52 PM
Flyin' Mode 3!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2007
253 Posts
Help!
New Pilot looking to get into Heli's!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this board and looking forward to getting into the helicopter hobby. I have spent a lot of time at the RunRyder forums but they are very much into the big expensive heli's. I am trying to find a decent inexpensive trainer helicopter. I would like to stay electric. Do you think I should start on a Fixed pitch or a collective pitch? What do you recommend? So far I have been looking at the HoneyBee and the Falcon3D. What are your thoughts? Other suggestions? Remember, I am brand new so I know very little about these so treat me as a total noob.
clawlan is offline Find More Posts by clawlan
Last edited by clawlan; Jul 02, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:33 PM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Welcome!

Step 1- Read the EHBG: http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg/ehbg-17.pdf

Step 2, repeat step 1

I highly recommend that you first practice extensively with a sim. It's not necessary to learn that way, but it's definitely a lot less frustrating and less expensive. $200 for a sim might sound expensive, but it will pay for itself over and over again. Use the sim as a tool to learn the control basics and orientations first, then get a heli.

I use RealFlight G3.5 and it's quite good. The other good sim option would be Reflex XTR because it also models heli flight accurately, but I have not used it.

Save up at least $1500 to spend on a heli kit and the other electronics to get it flying. The bigger the heli the better, since they are more stable. A Century Swift 16 would be a good choice since you can easily reconfigure it to suit your needs as your skills develop.

Read through the Beginner's Guide- use it to familiarize yourself with common terminology and other info. The more you know, the better you can ask good questions.

Heli's are not easily learned, so be patient.

Again, welcome.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:46 PM
Flyin' Mode 3!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2007
253 Posts
thanks. I just downloaded that guide. I also just got the Reflex flight sim but need a controller for it. What do you recommend? Preferably something cheap since I'll be getting a nice radio when I purchase my first helicopter.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:47 PM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
I second that post by Gadget 101. Well put Gadget....Ron
laughingstill is offline Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:57 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
if you are a total noob, then you might consider a smaller heli like a lama or bladecx just to get your thumbs dialed in and learn what it taskes to fly a heli that only costs $30 to crash, coz you will crash. granted the bigger helis are more stable, it's nice to fly inside in a controlled situation and learn how to make your thumbs work
my .02

have you flown anything before??
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old Jul 02, 2007, 10:26 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I always suggest people start with a FP.. if you have at least some rc plane experience the HBFP isn't to hard to grasp. A sim is also a good way to get practice when the weather isn't cooperating.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jul 02, 2007, 10:30 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
If you want basics and cheap about the only way is the dual rotor helis. Almost as good as a SIM, but as I said, almost.

Just buy the good radio now or get a used 4 channel off ebay for the SIM.

I have to agree about the Swift, great first heli

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:39 AM
Joined Jan 2006
830 Posts
There are many ways to start.

IMHO, the micro co-axials give you a "feel" for it, but are too limited in performance to be more then that.

A simulator (even a basic inespensive one like the FMA - available from different manufatcurers with the free software and a TX with USB connection anywhere from $25.00 to $45.00) along with a heli like the Swift is a great place to start.

The sim will teach your mind what stick movements do what, and the Swift will do it in real life inexpensively and dependably. It is easily set-up with collective and cyclic sensitivities that are soft enough for basic training and as you progress you can change settings and power packages until you have a rather hot 3D heli.
syclic is offline Find More Posts by syclic
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:01 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan
thanks. I just downloaded that guide. I also just got the Reflex flight sim but need a controller for it. What do you recommend? Preferably something cheap since I'll be getting a nice radio when I purchase my first helicopter.
If you bought the XTR sim what USB interface cable did you get, one for a Futaba or JR? One won't work on the other unless Reflex is sending a cable that has connections for both.

sc
Stan Carter is offline Find More Posts by Stan Carter
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:13 AM
Flyin' Mode 3!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2007
253 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I have flown a small beginner plane a long time ago, but thats about it. I am still really leaning toward the Falcon 3D. It comes with everything including training gear, Tx, and usb connector for sims.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:14 AM
Flyin' Mode 3!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Carter
If you bought the XTR sim what USB interface cable did you get, one for a Futaba or JR? One won't work on the other unless Reflex is sending a cable that has connections for both.

sc
I dont have a cable yet. I need a cable and a transmitter.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:36 AM
Live Long, Ride Free.
Joined Jun 2007
15 Posts
Hi clawlan, I just received my Falcon 3D heli and hope to fly it tonight. I have a little experience but still consider myself to be a novice so ill let you know how it fly's for me.

I totally agree about getting a sim before a helicopter tho. Save's a lot money in the long run, I know .

Ja.
RetardoFarengae is offline Find More Posts by RetardoFarengae
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:36 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan
I dont have a cable yet. I need a cable and a transmitter.
Then Reflex must be selling the cables separately? You do know you have to use their cable.

sc
Stan Carter is offline Find More Posts by Stan Carter
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:19 PM
Flyin' Mode 3!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Carter
Then Reflex must be selling the cables separately? You do know you have to use their cable.

sc
oops, I mean I have PhoenixRC. I need a cable and a transmitter. If I get a HoneyBee, will the tx that comes with that work with the sim?
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:49 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetardoFarengae
I just received my Falcon 3D heli Ja.
Oi - Ja you dark horse! That must be the new heli your mum mentioned to me! You've been rumbled! Speak to ya soon!

clawlan - a CP heli is a more complex beastie than a fixed pitch heli, both in setting up and crash repair. Get that training gear bolted on, make sure the heli's set up correctly, and take gentle steps! If you can borrow, or even budget to buy a co-axial heli then that will give you a far quicker hovering fix, complete with silly grin, but the single rotor stuff doesn't have the same stability However, get a single rotor hovering around okay and the grin just gets bigger!
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver