SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:27 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Hi Matt,

I just built one too and I love it I used a humbrol #113 (rusty brown) mixed with revell #40 (dark green) to make the green. Around 1 part brown to 3 green made the match so close I can't tell where I touched up. I had to paint the entire cockpit frame because the white plastic showed on all edges and it was white inside. I has a grey that matched too. I would have to crack open the bottles and check which one if you're interested.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 06:50 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Hummm a Spitfire thread and the name JEJ...sort of goes together doesn't it .
Nice looking spitfire although am surprised you didn't go with the below scheme
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:13 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of Johnnies! I have another Spit done up like that already.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 06:26 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
I just built one too and I love it I used a humbrol #113 (rusty brown) mixed with revell #40 (dark green) to make the green. Around 1 part brown to 3 green made the match so close I can't tell where I touched up. I had to paint the entire cockpit frame because the white plastic showed on all edges and it was white inside. I has a grey that matched too. I would have to crack open the bottles and check which one if you're interested.

Yes please. that would be very helpful to me..My cockpit frame did the same as yours

Anyone know why I should use 2 cells instead of 3? I realise the 2 cell would save weight and improve lightweight flying performance, but I used to fly this PJS motor in a 3D plane on 3 cells but with a 2 blade prop.

Is there any reason that using 4 blades might not be good, I have a ton of 3S 1300 packs here, but the heavier loading might improve handling in windier conditions (which is the norm here)
Could 3S damage the motor or something (I don't know crap about electrics/batteries/motors)
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:17 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Added wheels!

I used the supplied parts and made a pair of plug in wheels,as I do like the look of a Spit on her legs, so with no retracts,this is the best compromise..

The legs plug into 2 snug fit plastic tubes epoxied into a small piece of 1/8 th liteply.

When I want to fly, just pull them out.

You can see in these pics the amount of paint retouching I need to do,around the fillets and other places where the camo lines just don't meet.

Yeah,it looks odd on the underside views, but hey, a compromise is all it takes.

Canopy next!

BTW a bit dissapointed that the rudder is too short, h well.. it's just hanging on there,I need to fit a servo hinges and linkage to get it working.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:37 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
I have included a close up pic to see how close the paint matched. I used about 1 part brown to 3 parts green mixed each time I needed it on a bit of plastic sheet (artist pallete style) to make up as much as I needed. I used next to none all up so it didn't seem worth making a bix mix up.

As for the power I used an Axi 2314-34 with the FSK 4 blade prop and a 3S 1500 pack. It flies great - video link below. Personally I think the look of the four blade prop is worth an inevitable minor performance decrease. It easily flies faster tha scale speed...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1684689

If I dive and build up too much speed the motor overspeeds and makes a whistling sound but it only happens in a powered dive. There is plenty of power to hand launch, next to no bad torque (The launch was due to my bad throw not torque) and I have yet to fly a battery out. I generally get bored before the battery gets remotely close to flat.

The plane will glide quite well despite the big prop on front, it will tip stall if pushed but you know it's coming long before it happens. I have another video of the test flight before I put the canopy etc on which shows a better launch and an intentional tip stall. I usually make my final approach with a tiny bit of power on and then cut the throttle in the final stages of the flare.

Did I mention I love this plane?

The top grey I used was another revell colour #57. It is not perfect but it is very close. I didn't have to touch up the lower grey.

Another very big tip is to use decal setter and then once dry apply some polycrilic over it with a brush. It is invisible but protects the decals from use, particularly the side fuselage roundels where you tend to grip the plane a lot to launch.

Yours looks great, I didn't make up the landing gear but sort of wish I had looking at yours. Best of luck with it and kep the pics coming!
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:07 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
Matt, I added the Rudder on my FSK Spit, and IMHO its not worth the extra weight and drain on the esc/battery. Fly with only a 2 blade prop and that will help with the initial torque to the left when launching. 9x6 apc SF on my axi 22/12/24 and 3 cell 1200 lipo. So also you can use the 3 cell and the weight you saved from installing the rudder servo would help counter the weight of the 3 cell in your '2 or 3 cell' lipo debate.

Picture of mine in flight. though, looking at it I can understand why you want to use the 4 blade prop, it does look good

Stuart.

BTW You test flying that Mustang this weekend? I'll be back home getting some stick time as the weather looks to be good.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Feb 08, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:35 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
J.E. Great video,your model performs very well, that's what I'm looking to achieve with mine. What is your power system please?

Also, who put that great smoke in the sky on the video? Very cool.

Done some more today, mixed up some acrylics used yellow blue and black and surprisingly got a good match for the green.

Thanks for the paint info too,and incidentally,if you still have the kit ABS parts it's not too late to use the gears.
Let me know if you fancy trying it,worth doing.

Stuart,Mustang almost there, needs clearcoating,I decided I would do three planes at once when I do,I need to do my Art Tech Corsair and the Spit plus P-51. (Good time management for me!)
You're right regarding the Spit rudder,I glued it in now.
Lucky you flying this weekend-I'm working

The Spit comes along nicely,and, of course, I need a pilot in there!

More pics
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:49 PM
Czech republic, Brno
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
My FSK Spitfire is actually 5 years old. Executing maiden flight in January 2003, it is still alive and flying, although it has been molded from Depron used at that time, not so hard as today.
http://www.minimakety.cz/rcscale/mod...a/index-en.php
felda is offline Find More Posts by felda
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:54 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Hi Matt,

It's looking great!

My power system is an AXI 2212/34 (not 2314/34 as I said above) driving the FSK 4 blade prop with an AR6200 receiver and parkBEC. I use a 1500Mah 3S lipo and measured 11.8V at WOT with 11.3V so 134W. I measured this a while ago with a 1050 Mah lipo so it be slightly different now I use the 1500.

I launch with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (not sure exactly how much as I never really pay that close attention. I just go with what "feels right" )
Full power will give good acceleration and climb but is not needed for most of the flight. The AXI is rated to 10A for 60 sec so I figure I am well and truly safe using full power at times and much less most of the time.

I totally agree with Stuart re the rudder. I hinged mine to give the option but never hooked it up. The only time I ever really miss it is in loops to straighten them out. Great shot Stuart! If it wasn't for the antenna it could easily pass as the real thing.

Did you put magnets in the canopy/access hatch to hold it on?

I do have the undercarriage parts still, just lacking in the motivation...

I really want an FSK ME109G but have enormous troubles getting them here in OZ. Our one and only importer has not replied to my emails for one so I guess thats a no...

My G/F will be in the UK in JUL so I am hoping to organise one for her to bring home.

So when is the test flight?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:11 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Decals applied!
Sorry I got lazy and used the stock decals, too many other planes to finish...

I'll make the cannons from some other material aia think, the kit cannons seem too fiddly to get right.

It sure looks good all dressed up, just needs a clearcoat and I'm pretty much nearly ready to fly (apart from cannons, battery. pilot,,painting exhaust stacks,receiver install,but easy jobs.Need to add a few more kit blisters and aerial mast etc.

I'm going to 'weather' her up a tad too, just looks far too new for my liking.

Thanks for the info J.E.J. your ailerons look powerful in the video, contrary to reports from other users. Did you mod them at all?

Hope your G/F gets your kit for you!

Well, that's all for today.
Did you fly this weekend Stuart?

PS- Anyone know if there are parts in the kit to make the rear view mirror?
It's shown in the photos, but I can't find any parts?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Looks nice, Matt.

I bought one off eBay about six months ago (think someone here tipped me off as it was cheap). I'ts languishing in the loft at the moment until I can get round to it.

I've got the Alfa one as well, that is virtually finished, just needs the Rx and batteries fitting. Too many fingers in too many pies!!
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:33 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hi Gary, long time, no see!
This really is a great kit,I got mine cheap off eBay too, from Germany, but I think I kow why, due to some creases and dents here and there, but to be honest, they really are not too obvious when completed.

Anyway, I made the cannons, used the kit parts and sanded them so they fit each other, CA'd them, sanded and repainted them,not hard at all as it turns out...

Aerial mast is done, she looks pretty sharp now I think.
Well worth looking for a cheap one.

Now, just miscellaneous jobs to complete, and this baby gets some air time-on a calm day of course!

Here are some updated pics.
The Aplfa Spit does look very nice too I have to say.

Question...Has anyone made provision for motor cooling,if so, can you tell me how you did it?

I'm thinking of cutting a hole under the nose, do I really need to?

Forgot to say, no magnets on the canopy hatch yet, I'll add that to my 'to do' list, seems like a wothy addition.
Last edited by Matt Halton; Feb 10, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:02 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Love the Alpha Gary, I bought one from Austria but it got squashed by Australia post.

Yours looks great Mike,

I have two grey bumps left too, could never figure out where they go. The mirror is in there, it is moulded in the black plastic, sprayed green and hollow on one side. I filled mine with araldite and stuck aluminium foil on the shiny side.

Let me know how the cannons hold up, I was a bit scared they would tear chunks out of the wing on landing. I have them stuck on with magnets with my GWS spit but left them off this one for now.

My ailerons are standard, I have as much movement as I can get out of them as I love responsive ailerons. I think that FSK stiffened the wire since the early kits????

I cut the rear of the exhaust stacks to let some air out but I think the cooling effect would be negligible. I worry a little bit about heat with this one but can't bring myself to ruin the lines....
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Satin overspray done, she has lost that glossy,toy look.I spayed from 12" away, about 3 thin coats.

J.E. Johnson, I think that the cannons will hold up, but we'll see..

I didn't know they revised the torque wire size on ailerons, mine look pretty thin, so is possibly an earler kit.

I'll crank 'em to the max, hopefully she wil be as agile as yours is!

Anyway, nearly there.