felda is offline Find More Posts by felda
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2007, 07:27 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Thanks, that's great,easy for me to do as I already have one

My kit arrived late this afternoon, got it all opened, but was dissapointed to see that the vendor had used flimsy corrugated card to pack it in, so was expecting the worst when I opened the box.
Only damage seen was the rudder bent over at 45 degrees, some tiny creases in the fuse and wing.
Anyway, I got it for a good price, but was wondering if the kit was a second.I assume kit manufacturers must farm them out to people to dispose of how they seem fit?
The small creases in the fuse don't look as if they were caused by packing and shipping.

It's doable anyway,so I'm happy.

I removed the crease in the rudder by running hot water over it, bending it straight and then putting under the cold tap.

When I get more time I'll go over it in more detail.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Jul 09, 2007, 04:13 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Ok, here is the first detailed instalment of my build.
You can see the creases on the skin in the pics. It isn't too bad, but I guess that is part of the accepted risk of an eBay purchase!
It was about £35,considerably better than the tag of £94 when they first hit the UK market in 2003 (approx $180 USD )

I think I'll be going for the electric 'RR Merlin' PJS install after the parts have been readied for assembly, then continue from there.

There are lots of ABS parts to gut away before the rest of the build can go ahead-no doubt that part will be tedious operation,but nevertheless worth it for this beautiful craft.

More to come!

I have decided to buy a pair of Alfa retracts, they look easier to set up.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 04:30 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
shame about those creeses, you can also put a wet folded kitchen towl over the creese and push down with a hot covering iron onto the hot wet towl. You should hear it crackle and steam under the heat, keeping the towl wet repeat until the creese is totally pulled out.

BTW Flew mine again the weekend, I can say that you'll really need to keep the weighT DOWN, mine with the extra servo and paint doesn't glide that well.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Jul 09, 2007, 09:56 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne
you can also put a wet folded kitchen towl over the creese and push down with a hot covering iron onto the hot wet towl. You should hear it crackle and steam under the heat, keeping the towl wet repeat until the creese is totally pulled out.
Care to elaborate on that a little bit? I've got a few FSK foamies that need a little bit of ironing, but I don't want to risk burning a hole in the side of the plane.
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:41 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
I've used a covering "hair dryer" once or twice..it works well for shallow wrinkes...but nothing deep.. you must be on the low setting...keeping it 6 or more inches away, do a little at a time and use patience. Otherwise you WILL ruin your model. Ask me how I know.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:03 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
@ JDMSTUFF, thatís essentially it, just make sure you keep replacing the towel with a fresh piece as it seems to work best with a virgin piece. Basically what you are looking to do is steam out the wrinkles, so actually if you place the wet paper towel immediately to the side of the wrinkle, the steam that comes out from underneath the towel at the sides is actually what seems to pull out the wrinkles. It doesn't work straight away but after about 5 mins of apply for 5-10 seconds at a time you'll have a much less wrinkled model. Try your very hardest not to heat any dry part of the models surface nearby as with the close heat of the exposed covering iron, can cause the paint on the foam to blister, but only in extreme cases I've found. Also leaving the hot iron applied to the wet towel for too long may cause the paint on the model to 'ghost/fade' slightly. As a rule of thumb itís best to work 'little by little'.

Hope this helps, I've seen good results using this technique and a little patient.

Stuart.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:24 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
I haven't tried that Stuart, but will give it a go.

Just got my order in for Alfa retracts for this Spit,so haven't abandoned it. I've cut all my plastic parts out,so really can't move on until the gears arrive.

Meanwhile,I'm getting my Alfa F-86 ready to go
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:04 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
yeah, give it a go, should work well for you. I too am finishing an Alfa EDF, the Mig 15. I've got it finished in the all red upper surfaces A-LA USSR airforce display team 1950's style, with some weather and paint chipping too. Its taken me the best part of 3 weeks worths evenings and weekends to get it finished using my new airbrush and compressor from ebay. Please with I thus far and I now have the wings glued on. Just really need to installed the fan/motor and the electrics and it ready to go. I'm thinking I'll maybe take it to Old Warden next weekend and test fly it there! Either way I'll have some pictures on my blog once I get back from Finland next week.

From Finland.

Stuart.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:38 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Finally got a pair of Alfa retracts and wheel set

Can get going on it soon. I bought them from:
http://www.rc-aviator.eu/shop/advanc...75f286&x=4&y=7

Thanks to Gary Binnie for the link, I got them much cheaper than SMC and the price included VAT and postage. Got them in just 3 days too.

And... they even trew in a packet of aeroplane shaped gum sweets for free, now that's service!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:46 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
You're welcome Matt! My sweets did not last long.

I was quite annoyed that the Alfa Spit was being sold with available retracts but not the wheels, I scoured the net and eventually found that site.

Mr Alfa said that he was going to look in to UK supply of the wheels.

My FSK Spit from eBay turned up today, the box has been opened and contents juggled but it all looks to be there and undamaged.

Is that Griebel gearbox supposed to come with the kit? Probably would not use it anyway, just curious.

Will be a while till I get on to this model but glad I've got one.
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:58 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
Gary, mine came with the gear box, but I threw that away and used an Axi 22/12/34. You going to the Nats this weekend?

stuart
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 24, 2007, 07:26 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Bit of a mystery the gearbox, I think some kits were supplied without by request of the importer, just wondered if it had been removed from the kit.

I bought three Balsacraft Spits off eBay,one had no canopy, one had no instructions but the last one was complete, all bought in case I crash the original flyer I have. A great shame that these are not still available, with brushless motors and LiPo's they would fly even better.

Full size flying takes up most of my spare time so I don't get to model meets very often (well not at all actually!).

Good weather for the Nats I think.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Feb 04, 2008, 10:04 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Decided to get back on this model again. I have checked the fit on my PJS 550E and have been attempting to join the wings together.
Decided to not fit retracts, just want to get it flying!

Need to make a bigger ply motor mount to fit the PJS.
More as it happens.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:57 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Wow, easiest build I've had for ages!

Got the motor and spinner on, 4 blader looks awesome.

Managed to introduce 2 degrees right thrust,with the merest smidgen of down thrust too.

Just need to dress the cockpit up,and I need paint to rematch the rest of the camo...anyone know the best matching brand paint please?

I'll finish her as MH434, probably the best known Mk IVc ever! I saw the late great Ray Hannah fly her many times, so think it's fitting. I'll mask and handpaint the 'ZD B' serials myself.

I'm taking this on holiday in a custom built box