HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2007, 01:16 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Build Log
FSK Spitfire Mk IX mod thread with custom mods.MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO ADDED!

I just purchased one of these from a dealer in Germany at a great price, was too good to pass up.

So, I fully intend to fit retracts in it (Robart 1/2 A's), possibly flaps too, dunno will have to see when I receive it.

Anyway,there hasn't been too much news regarding this (2003) vintage model for a while, it looks beautiful.

I would love to fit a brushless system to drive that very nice 4 blader too, but am just wondering if anyone has achieved this yet, and is there any video other than the H-L one?

Please chime in with your mods/successes.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Apr 04, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Title changed as build has commenced.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2007, 01:59 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,700 Posts
Hey Matt,

I've sucsessfully mounted an axi 22/12/34 in my FSK Spitfire. Only problem is it that I get alot of torque when launching. I'll be trying mine an an APC 8x4 and 8x6 this weekend, but I guess if you going to fit retracks then you'll be better equiped to handle the torque when ROG. Here's a picture of mine, I've also got some more detailed pictures of the mounting of the axi that I can post when i get back to my own PC tomorrow night.

I'll be interested to see how you manage to fit retracts in this model, I found it a real struggle just to fit in an extra 4g servo for a working rudder.

Got mine off ebay from the old UK distributor last year for 25 BNIB, bargin.

Like I said i can give you more detailed mounting pictures tomorrow. Here also is a link to my FSK Spitfire thread.

Stuart.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650890
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 06:37 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,646 Posts
You may want to see if the Alfa Spitfire retracts would work? I have no idea...just guessing...similar planes and similar sizes..
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 02, 2007, 08:27 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hey Stuart-that's beautiful! Looks absolutely great.
Did you lose the spinner in flight? I'm sure if it were on in that pic I could be fooled into thinking I'm looking at the real thing!

I'll find a way to get retracts in there for sure, might take some doing, but I'll get it done. yep, will need to activate my rudder too.

Thanks Dora,I'll take a look at the Alfa Spitty retracts.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:30 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Nov 2004
353 Posts
If you're going to try retracts, go for the alfa retracts and try to mimic their installation into the Alfa kit as Dora suggests. The big issue with the FSK kit that might make retracts more problematic is that the spar is not in the best location. You won't really need flaps, and with the retracts (the alfa's are lighter than the robart and work better, btw) and rudder you might be pushing the weight.

The stock four-blade prop tends to flex at half-throttle and become less efficient. It certainly looks good, but as stuart wayne explained, a two blader might serve you better...

The Alfa website has some detailed pictures of the retract install that might prove helpful:

http://alfamodel.cz/php/index.php4?_...g&_RQstate=usa
williamciv is offline Find More Posts by williamciv
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:44 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
I agree with the guys above, use the Alfa retracts, lighter and work nicely. I did both Spitfires, Alfa/FSK. I have not had time to fly the Alfa, but all Alfa's fly great.

The FSK. Has a AXI 2212/20 on 3S 1550 Tanics, very fast, with 8.5X6 prop. Has functional rudder mod. Four blade looks nice, but as stated above, I did not go that route.

Check out the Camo pattern on either, cloning or what? darn close ehhh.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Jul 03, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:55 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,700 Posts
Ok, here's the motor mounting images as promissed. I made up an extra firewall and mounted the kit supplied one onto it for extra support for the mounting of the motor. Also here's a pic with the 4 blade and the spinner on. The spinner broke in a bad landing. Thats the other problem I had with the 4 blade prop, I found myslef trying to keep the noise as high as possible as I began to flare, (not wanting the prop to catch the ground) ended up stalling in a foot from the ground, a little tip damage too, really pain in the ass.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 03, 2007, 04:39 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,646 Posts
Boy that last pic...how bout some effective camoflage?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:23 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have this plane as well(still in box). I built an FSK ME-109 and added rudder mod and used landing gear. It'll fly fine. Retracts....use the ALfa ones as theya re designed for small planes like this. Flaps would look cool, but, might be a huge pain in the butt. I dont think they're necessary for the Spit, but the ME-109 could have used them.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 03, 2007, 09:50 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
My Flying Styro Spitfire, with hand-brushed paint job, powered by an E-Flite 370 outrunner, 20amp ESC, and 3-cell 1320 lipo pack.

Fantastic performance! Flies out of my hands, almost straight up!
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jul 03, 2007, 11:55 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Check out the Camo pattern on either, cloning or what? darn close ehhh.
Jim
Not cloning, just good research on the part of the manufacturers. Spits were painted at the factory using spray matts and were done in one of two patterns which were identical in layout but with the colors reversed. Therefore, all factory painted Spits should have very similar camo patterns.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jul 04, 2007, 04:01 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,700 Posts
michael, what make and size is that spinner, I've been trying to good a good replacment, but without any luck as yet? also, what prop size is that apc. Nice looking bird, they take paint well don't they.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2007, 07:21 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne
michael, what make and size is that spinner, I've been trying to good a good replacment, but without any luck as yet? also, what prop size is that apc. Nice looking bird, they take paint well don't they.
I think its a Dubro spinner, I think its a slow fly APC 9x6 cut down to 8" (I'll check the sizes when I get home), and the paint is simply water-based acrylic brushed on. I used masking tape in various patterns to do the paint job; white paint first, then red and then black.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jul 04, 2007, 08:28 AM
Czech republic, Brno
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
Here some info and photos of my FSK Spitfire. It is one of the first prototypes from end of 2002 and it is still in perfect shape. In my opinion one of the best FSK single engine scales.
http://www.minimakety.cz/rcscale/mod...a/index-en.php
felda is offline Find More Posts by felda
Old Jul 05, 2007, 07:21 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks Felda, interesting website,and a beautiful model.
I have a question, I have a PJS 550E, do you think it would be ok to drive the 4 blader on 2 LiPo cells?

Michael, your Israeli scheme looks fantastic!

Mine still hasn't arrived yet, any time now I hope!

Matt