HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chino Tom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:51 AM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Discussion
Alfa Martlet

With the left over decals from my tree bound Spit, I decided to convert the Alfa Wildcat to a Martlet. The markings are of Eric "Winkle" Brown. Eric was a Royal Navy pilot who is most famous for his late and post war flights in captured German WWII aircraft. I have his book with flight reports of the aircraft he flew. Worth picking up. I powered the Martlet with a speed 300 and gearbox (like the Alfa's used to be sold with) because I had a speed control from a previous park flyer and the $30 for the motor/gearbox was a bargain. I flew it for the first time Sunday and with my typical Alfa set up (35% expo), it flew great. Almost flew right out of my hand with 1/2 throttle.
It was a little hard to see (getting old) and I have added a couple of white stripes to the top wings and tail. I really like how these Alfas fly and bought the Martlet to gain experience (still haven't flown the 190 yet and the replacement Spit is still in the box) after D9 commented on what a nice flyer it is. Again used D9's attenna tube idea and the Marltlet has a nice exit area under the rudder. I am pleased that the speed 300 with a 2 cell 1320 lipo has plenty of power. The Martlet weighed 12.4 oz RTF.
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom
Last edited by Chino Tom; Jul 17, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2007, 10:12 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,637 Posts
Beatiful work Tom... Glad I could be of help. I love the Antenna tube out the back. Looks very clean and almost like it belongs there on the Wildcat. I recently did something similar with my Dora..
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 02, 2007, 11:08 AM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Lets see a picture of your D9.
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom