HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
23 Posts
Discussion
Bigger Wing for SS? How much bigger?

I'm wanting to increase my payload to carry a 12 oz Fuji S5100 (Without batteries) on a Slow Stick. My current configuration is:

Stock 46 inch wing (Beefed up with CF tube)
Park 450 with 10x4.7 APC SF prop
Fuji A600 6.3 Megapixel (~7.1 oz with batteries)
8 cell 2/3 A 1000 Mah
AUW RTF with camera and battery is 31 oz.

I need to gain 5 oz payload somewhere. Lipos are out of the question at this point, as it's not in my budget.
The S5100 is around 16 oz with batteries and 12 oz without.
I can power the the camera off of the bec I believe, to eliminate having to carry the added weight of the batteries, so I'm looking for around 36 oz AUW.

I can build a bigger wing out of fan fold (I have a bunch of the pink stuff), but need an idea on approximately how big to go to carry this. I can get off the ground in around 20 feet with the current setup. I built a 60 inch wing, but the weight was around 16 oz, so I scrapped it.

The A600 does ok when it is very bright outside, otherwise, it's nothing but blur. It does not have a manual shutter speed as does the s5100 slr.

Any ideas?

Here's a sample from the A600

Artemis999 is offline Find More Posts by Artemis999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
301 Posts
There is no reason why your plane can't carry the camera as it is equipped right now. Just be aware that you will need to be gentle with it. I flew a similar setup to start and it flew fine. I was using lipos, but only had a Essky 400xt motor.

Just FYI, I have used my regular SS to carry about 20oz of payload. Perfomance isn't the best and she comes in a bit fast, but she will fly. Just make sure your reinforcement is adequate.
DiamondMox is offline Find More Posts by DiamondMox
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,340 Posts
That is a great picture! I saw one guy fying at 40 oz.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:20 PM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jul 2003
2,721 Posts
You might try either building or using a wing similar to the Miss2 wing. I used both the original wing as well as ones made from foam to the same specs. My SSV2 has varied in weight from around 40oz to almost 50oz, and the wing has NO problem lifting the aircraft, and usually with STOL abilities. See photo below.

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:28 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I really reconsider going with a lipo of the same rating as the battery your using.
The 1000mah ones are not that expensive and would put you right in the zone your shooting for.

Ira
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
23 Posts
I'm going to try adding weights up to ~36 - 37 oz and see if it will go. Seems to have plenty of power, I can cruise around about half throttle the way it is now, so maybe it will work.

Joe, It looks like the Miss2 wing would have less squares than what I have now. I believe the stock SS wing is around 505 sq inches? Would going to a longer wing with less chord help in any way? Stability maybe?

Quail, thanks. Thats a crop from an actual photo. Guess I should have stated that. I could probably never get one lined up that good unless it was an accident.
Artemis999 is offline Find More Posts by Artemis999
Old Jun 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,821 Posts
Artemis,

I would go with your plan of powering the cam off the BEC for now, as Diamond Mox says, just give it a go! I am lifting a Fuji 3500 weighing in at 14oz, using my biplane slowstick conversion. (wing loading about 6oz/sq ft)

Biplane details here

This concept allows me to try different motor and camera combinations using adjustable tailboom length to maintain the CG. The intent is to work up to lifting a DSLR!

More details on my blog.

Let us know how you do!
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Jun 30, 2007, 06:25 PM
"Up Chuck-Up Chuck"
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Joined Aug 2004
1,204 Posts
http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/prod...cat=254&page=1
Just built the smaller wing version for a night flyer..
mdlifcrisis is offline Find More Posts by mdlifcrisis
Old Jun 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,721 Posts
The SS wing does have more square inches, but it is also undercambered and VERY draggy too. The Miss2 wing while smaller in square inches, is a more efficient wing, and handles wind much better too.

Joe
Old Jun 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
I carry 11 oz with the SS fuse, homebuilt tail (no biggie) and use the magpie wing. Most regular wings will work. The SS wing is very inefficient because of the undercamber (aka drag)

Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
301 Posts
The undercamber is draggy, yes, but at low speeds, it also increases lift.

I haven't yet been able to max out on payload on my twinstick, though. Moxstick
I have used it to lift slope gliders and other planes to release at altitude (399ft of course). They have been upto 40oz or so, not sure on their exact weight.
DiamondMox is offline Find More Posts by DiamondMox
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
I built a 62" SS wing from parts of two SS wings. It performed very well and gets the wing up around 725 sq. in.

There are a couple of threads I believe that show the basic building of the wing.

Essentially you cut the tips off of one wing at the last "rib" and then you add a larger portion of "tip" from the second wing to each panel... bringing the span to 60-6X". I used carbon rods on both LE and TE (full panel length) and I put a third carbon rod spar at the 4" back from LE point. It spanned about 20" into each panel. Good strong, slow flying wing.

I added 8" to length of the fuse also.

I recently sold the plane so no photos available.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev
I built a 62" SS wing from parts of two SS wings. It performed very well and gets the wing up around 725 sq. in.

There are a couple of threads I believe that show the basic building of the wing.

Essentially you cut the tips off of one wing at the last "rib" and then you add a larger portion of "tip" from the second wing to each panel... bringing the span to 60-6X". I used carbon rods on both LE and TE (full panel length) and I put a third carbon rod spar at the 4" back from LE point. It spanned about 20" into each panel. Good strong, slow flying wing.

I added 8" to length of the fuse also.

I recently sold the plane so no photos available.

R/E
R/E,

Did you ever have any problems with wing flutter during higher speed runs? I know that the stock wing, even reinforced, would flutter near the tips during higher speed dives. I never had a failure with one, but several people I know did have the wingtip flutter to the point of damage and collapse. But, at slow speeds normal to most AP work, the longer WS would be advantageous as long as there was not too much wind. Fighting a breeze though, well that is another story altogether....

Joe
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
Flutter would occasionally visit me.

I added a couple of full chord 1/16" balsa/ 4mm depron sandwich ribs with carbon tape on the rib top. (between the rib and underside of the SS wing). That really helped to suppress the flutter... not totally eliminate it, under certain conditions - usually higher wind or unintentional "speed runs."

The ribs were placed about 2/3 out from center wing on each wing panel and glued to the LE/TE carbon rods. Just at the ends of my third carbon rod spar, I believe.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev