SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:45 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Discussion
:Full range"...what does this mean?

What does "full range" mean wjen it comes to the distance R/C systems can broadacst to? Thanks.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:32 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,692 Posts
I don't know what it is in feet or metres, but I expect a "full range" radio set to be able to maintain control of my aicraft further away than I can see it That's probably a mile or so.

On the other hand, I would expect a "park flyer" radio set to perhaps lose contact around 500 feet away, or even closer with some sets that come packaged with RTF models.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 29, 2007, 05:38 AM
Saint John NB
Joined May 2007
19 Posts
" From Newbie Wayne" I agree with Abenn on range details . It would be good if all
suppliers were to state reliable control of aircraft in distance Feet/Meters .
Also basic specifications of the receiver and transmitter listed would give tech buffs a rough idea of radio range .
sky56 is offline Find More Posts by sky56
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:48 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
Quote:
On the other hand, I would expect a "park flyer" radio set to perhaps lose contact around 500 feet away, or even closer with some sets that come packaged with RTF models.
Full range is a very subjective thing. Most standard off the shelf radios by the major manufacturers have more range than you will ever need. You can only see a plane or heli so far. On the other hand some radios designated as "Park Flyers" like the Spektrum DX6 have very good range. We fly them in medium sized models with no problem.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Thanks. I had once heard many years ago that some good radios can go a mile, but wanted to confirm what "full range" actually meant.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
I believe that my HiTech radio had the range listed in feet and meters on the box and in the manual. I'll have to check again.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I think the Spektrum DX6 (parkflyer radio) has a 3,000 foot range or something like that.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jun 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
Make 'n Break!!
Walled 'tucky, MI. USA
Joined Apr 2006
1,766 Posts
Full range means whatever the seller wants it to. It should mean flyable to a point down range that the plane is no longer visible for orientation purposes.

Also full range is lesser or greater depending on the natural/ man made environment.
roosevelt is offline Find More Posts by roosevelt
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:00 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
In a way.. every radio is "full range"

The full range of a Cox/Estes Sky Ranger model is about 200 feet.
The full range of a Park Zone 27 mhz FM system is about 700 ft.

"Full Range" means the radio works... until it quits.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:13 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,134 Posts
Like the later comments, full range is not very specific. It would be impossible to reliably say what range any system has in actual distance as it depends on many things. Assuming the transmitter output is at leagle limits (most are close to that) the range is determined by the quality of the receiver. There is a temendouse difference there between brands as well as between models of the receiver. Also, installation of the receiver, antenna and associated wireing is very pertinent. Realize the the antenna is only half of the receivers input, the ground plane which consists of most of the other wiriing in the plane is equally necessary as is orientation of the antenna itself. If it is modified in length-either shortened or lengthened--it will change the sensitivity and noise rejection properties of the receiver which usually reduces range. How the transmitter is held, how high off the ground, orientation of the transmitting antenna all effect effective range. Bottom line, most (other than some park fliers) will exceed a mile in range for planes in the air, ground range will be less that airborne range.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jun 01, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Hy guys,
I'm planing to do some FPV, that's why I'm concerned!
Another thing is, some say about the RX, as far as I know, it's only receiving, in theory, the TX is what will give the power of range, right?
if using a park receiver w/o any obstruction from model walls and stuff, I wold have the same range from a "full range" RX right?
Is there a place that shows the power of transition? 100, 200NW,...?
taboaco is offline Find More Posts by taboaco
Old Jun 01, 2014, 01:23 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taboaco View Post
Hy guys,
I'm planing to do some FPV, that's why I'm concerned!
Another thing is, some say about the RX, as far as I know, it's only receiving, in theory, the TX is what will give the power of range, right?
No, the receiver is the most important and you will find big differences in brands and model. The quality of the components in the receiver are very important as , if they are noisy, range will suffer drastically.
if using a park receiver w/o any obstruction from model walls and stuff, I wold have the same range from a "full range" RX right?
Is there a place that shows the power of transition? 100, 200NW,...?
What is "power of transition"; I've never heard the term?
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jun 01, 2014, 02:25 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,548 Posts
I'm guessing taboaco means "power of transmission" ?

But no, no-one gives detailed figures for their transmitters and anyway as Rodney said it's much less important for range than the quality of the receiver.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 01, 2014, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
transmiton, lol, iPhone kind of thing!
I'm thinking to change my old TX and I've some questions, if someone can help!
I'm in between the DX9 or the Turnigy 9xr, in this case I'm wandering of the orange module or the frsky!
the advantage of the 9xr is the ability to change thru modules, including an UHF!
and the advantage of the DX9 is the high grade materials!
any suggestion?
taboaco is offline Find More Posts by taboaco
Old Jun 02, 2014, 12:42 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,659 Posts
I had my old Tower 2M glider on my DX6 and it's got a 6-foot wing. I had it nearly out of sight and was still in full control of the aircraft.

I think "full range" and "parkflyer" was just their way of getting people to buy the DSM2 stuff when they left the DSM systems out to rot. I still like my DX6. The lack of RX support for it is almost tragic. It's a great radio..
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage