SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,259 Posts
Hey,boys.Just got back from NW F5B competition.Was just watching and helping timing flying people .Dieter was flying 2S 1506/1D 16/16 Tiger.It was O.K.And Lenny payed us a visit
with his Avioniks B05 on 4S 1512/1D 17/19prop. CC125
THAT WAS MY KIND OF THE PLANE AND POWER !!!!!
Eric,any comments on prop? Cause I remember You flew yours on 14.5/14.
Thanx.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
Hey,boys.Just got back from NW F5B competition.Was just watching and helping timing flying people .Dieter was flying 2S 1506/1D 16/16 Tiger.It was O.K.And Lenny payed us a visit
with his Avioniks B05 on 4S 1512/1D 17/19prop. CC125
THAT WAS MY KIND OF THE PLANE AND POWER !!!!!
Eric,any comments on prop? Cause I remember You flew yours on 14.5/14.
Thanx.
Yuri.
Lucky Dawg!!!! I wanted to be there too.

That's "THE" set up as far as I am concerned. I use the 300 ESC since I still use the unconventional (for LMR) throttle on left stick.

I did just set up a Surprise this week with the trainer switch throttle and a CC 125; works good. It's my first switched F5B setup and is gonna take some getting used to. The benifits of proportional drag via the left stick are huge.

As for the 14.5x14, that's usually where I start. After proper cooling is verified and I'm ready for more, I step it up.

The 16x17 RFM slim on a Plus 5 has become my comfortable favorite. If I become consistent and smooth like Lenny, I'll step it up to his prop. The drivetrain can certainly take it. But it's insanely fast!!!

Was Don there too? I think it was he that mentioned radaring his F5B set up earlier to check course entry speed with various props, same NeuMotor, on 3 and 4S. His level flight speed was in the mid 190's.

Lenny brought 2 planes to SD last weekend and played with a few set ups. Guys were flying wides, narrows, (RFM/Sergey/Strat and customs). Lenny's set up, not sure which prop, after a little experimenting with our "thick air" was among the fastest. I think he did 45 laps (!). One of them was noticeable louder and had a higher RPM sound.

I was on overwhelm most of that day, taking it all in, getting tuning help and course tips, taking notes and videos and absorbing as much info as I could.

On that 18x19 of Lenny's, was it a Strat? If you have the specifics, or could ask, that'd be helpful. I checked my notes and don't have the details. Also, verify what spinner is correct if you can. Thanks.

BTW his set up was my motivation to cut down those 18x19's above :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 21, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 05:14 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric, have you had a flight yet on the cut down Strat prop? Sounds like it is just about perfect. With a little added noise to!

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Negative Ghostrider. The pattern was full.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:25 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
You can be my wingman any time...... Eric......

To much wind for a mayden here, maybe a little later it will drop off.

For now i am 'installing' some extra cooling in the Ariane.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 01:40 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,259 Posts
Eric,prop in Lennys B05 was nor marked and I asked him what is that?All he said it is 17/19 .But thing is ,it is not just acceleration of the plane ,its how FAST is an airframe with dives and passes.ALL others ,including bunch of different Avioniks /F5B-10,F5B-7,F5F/of two guys from California was far behinde.I hope they will not read this post ,cause these two,where such an ambicious persons I am not planning to go there today,cant ask more questions ,sorry.I have also noticed ,that prop was permanently installed to spinner,epoxied screws from both sides/ /.
Anyhow,Lenny got me infested with B05,I dont want enything else and my wife begs me for Hawaii vakation.BTW,do you know who sells them ,Electrik edge ,seems dont have them,but I swear I saw an advertisement on his web the other day.
Yuri.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Sounds good Kimble, we can "do some of that pilot shi!" and make of some really cool threatening call signs :-) If only the real military experience were like Hollywood!!!

Okay, back to the Absolute, I'm thinking a bit outside the box on this one. Not looking for all out speed or F5B style performance, I have that box checked. I may want to try a more experimental approach for sport / hotlining.

I'm thinking longer run times / lower amps / lower static thrust / high pitch speed.

The Aveox F27 on 10S and a 10x17 prop looks interesting(around 200mph pitch speed). It's only 1500 watts +-, but power on dives and being able to leave the power wide open for 4 minutes might be cool.

I realize I am in "no mans land with this one" and not likely to win any efficiency awards.

Part of the fun of sport hotlining for me is the big sky aerobatics, the high rpm sound, the dramatic dives from high altitude and square loops.

Time to fit check the (2) 5S2500 pack.

Call me crazy, but lower power and higher pitch speed just might be cool.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
Eric,prop in Lennys B05 was nor marked and I asked him what is that?All he said it is 17/19 .But thing is ,it is not just acceleration of the plane ,its how FAST is an airframe with dives and passes.ALL others ,including bunch of different Avioniks /F5B-10,F5B-7,F5F/of two guys from California was far behinde.I hope they will not read this post ,cause these two,where such an ambicious persons I am not planning to go there today,cant ask more questions ,sorry.I have also noticed ,that prop was permanently installed to spinner,epoxied screws from both sides/ /.
Anyhow,Lenny got me infested with B05,I dont want enything else and my wife begs me for Hawaii vakation.BTW,do you know who sells them ,Electrik edge ,seems dont have them,but I swear I saw an advertisement on his web the other day.
Yuri.
Well I undrstand your situation. :-0

That prop was most likely the $150 prop spinner combo by Sergey, made just for the 1512 1D. If there was no fastener at the tip of the cone, it's the sergy prop spinner combo. Dave S from electricedge has em and can advise on the Avioniks and set ups as well.

As for the plane, it's indeed impressive. Note that many others have that plane, and you observed them too.

Steve Neu flew my S14 with a similar power set up to Lenny's, and it looked like a completely different plane on the course in his hands. His lap 4 exit speed was twice mine. These are the hot set ups for sure.

I really like the color schemes on the Avioniks, the contrast is great. I just repainted my S14 wing last week to improve the contrast; very easy job just hit the tips and leading edges with Tamiya Flourescent red (looks pink) and they turned out great. When the pink goes on lightly over the rainbow tip and white area, it looks pretty cool; pic doesn't show that though. Also did the tail on the Absolute as a test, but the red over red came out a little darker than I want..

I also really like the fact that the motor mount is done for you on the Avionik; that's a huge bonus in my book. But the S14 wins in the tail department; the tail servo comes done.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Am with you on that one! Looking at cutting down a XXx21'' prop using your method.

Right..... back to the glamorous hanger....... also called ''the shed''.

Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:41 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,259 Posts
Inspired by Yesterday's contest,I finished my Absolute today.
Switch insude fuse ,no cooling holes,velcro everywhere.I have to go and fly NOW!!!!!! Will make it nice later,later......
And I will.Wish me luck
Yuri.
Last edited by Dbox; Jul 22, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Really Nice,

I ordered the same colors...

Good luck and rip it up....
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,259 Posts
Sky and Absolute better then Exedrine

My Sunday began with horrible migrane.So I got a couple exedrine pills as usuall.But nothing happend I have had this migrane all day long and kept assembling an Absolute.Afternoon I realised if I will keep going I might be able to try it tonight.And I did !!!!!
Man ,what a PLANE !!!!!
I was recharging one bettery after another untill my field battery was drained to nothing.Best part ,my migrane was gone after very first flight
Hard to say ,which one is faster,Tiger or Absolute ,one thing is different for sure,as Absolute has more wing area so it keeps flying longer distance then Tiger on landing.Dynamics are great,dives,rolls,loops I loved every little part and all of this despite of being light.Energy retention just great.Stalls hardly,Tiger was easier to stall.Have to do something with landing distance,eats whole flying field and my field is gliders paradise,huge.
C-MIC, thank You David for CG and throws recomendations,I trusted You and went for aggresive throws only and You did not let me down,they are just perfect.Did not ajusted any of them.
Eric,THANK YOU man for bringing up this subject ,it is definetely a KEEPER
BOB,get more of these to USA,so people will enjoy taste of Absolute in American Sky
As for a power it is different conversation,as I expected it does not need much to perform ,airframe and foil do the job.
Yuri.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:58 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Congrats on the Absolute Yuri.
It is one sweet flying bird eh. !200 watts on mine is plenty. Does all I ask of it.
Wish it had rudder though. Knike edge loops would be fun with this bird.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,259 Posts
Synth,You right .Rudder would be nice.I was lending this thing today with a 45 degrees cross wind,so it turns to the wind flow and lands kind of sidewise. I did not notice this with Tiger
Yuri.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Probably that big fuselage.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth