Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Hey that's a picture of a kamie right? Or do they make yellow absolutes now?
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
Hey that's a picture of a kamie right? Or do they make yellow absolutes now?
I'm mot sure about that pic Jay, but they do make yellow/red Absolutes, I had to choose between that and white / red.

Question, was the spinner always a 38mm or was this changed? I seem to recall the 38 was to small on my last AB.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
New baby was born "offset" and "twisted"
Well... good for parents
Yuri.

Now that's a nice looking prop!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:56 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Question for Yuri.

3S4900's / 09 1D; what are your post flight batt/esc/motor temps?

I'll bet that set up absolutely rips!!!! :0
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:21 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,152 Posts
Eric,this is my buddy PDX Slope Pilot,Victor set for his Zoom.
We did not measured temps.after flight but as far as I remember,battery was not much warmer then a dead horse.
I also remeber as we lounched planes together an flew them for a while,I landed mine and changed batt,lounched it again and drained another batt.Victor still was in the air!!!!! Well,he is not as much of a wreckless pilot though, but it was something to remember.BTW he sets his cut offs to the very concervative point
Jay,this is an Absolute on the pict.one ,which Eric left for me at SUSA Yelloy/red.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:43 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Hey guys.

Just got my NEU 4S 4900mah pack in with a Blinky. Thanks Steven!!!

There is a lot of shrink wrap on this pack, does anyone suggest taking this off? Replace with thin Kapton tape for better cooling perhaps? Don't need to do it for the room, there is plenty of room in the Absolute.

Asside from that...... and soldering connectors on....... she is ready!

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Hey guys.

Just got my NEU 4S 4900mah pack in with a Blinky. Thanks Steven!!!

There is a lot of shrink wrap on this pack, does anyone suggest taking this off? Replace with thin Kapton tape for better cooling perhaps? Don't need to do it for the room, there is plenty of room in the Absolute.

Joe
Cool! Now the fun begins.

I've found just the opposite, I actuall want them to to get warm; that's when those chemical reactions perform best. Also, mine aren't getting hot on 16 cell F5B power set ups.

As for the other benefits to keeping it all intact, there does seem to be a difference is how these batts get "packaged".

In comparing the high discharge batts from Neu, Polyquest and Hyperion; the NeuEnergy packs are more rugged; better cell/tab/wire/balancer protection.

If I were to run my packs down (and heat them up), I'd consider melting small vent holes in the red shrink wrap, top and bottom, alighned parallel to the cells length wise so the holes line up with the low channels between the cells.

------------------- cell
- - - - - holes
------------------- cell
- - - - - holes
------------------- cell
- - - - - holes
------------------- cell

If you find that you need to get creative with cooling, let us nknow what you come up with.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:27 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Thanks Eric.

So maybe with Kapton tape i can warm the pack up with heat from the motor.

But good to know that i can run the stock pack, just was not sure i could at high amperages. Did not expect heat to be a problem with that low of an inner resistance but i am no expert.

Nearly forgot, my 14.5x14'' RFM prop has a fault in one of the blades and needs to be replaced. Still need to send them back! May just have to get another set locally. It's almost torture looking at it sitting there when i am home.

edit.... just found a set of RFM 15x13''.... that will do for now!!!!!
Last edited by Kimble_Schmitz; Jul 20, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Eric, ...

With regards to the cut down blades. I remember asking you about this as well. Please post a picture of a completed set. Just want to know what exactly you mean with ''rounded''. How much do you round them?!

They do make a great sound and that alone would be worth it for me!!!

Joe
Hey Kimble,

I wanted to take a few quick shots for you. It's not the Absolute, but the same process applies.

These are Strat 18x19 slims and didn't fit this S14 using the straight RFM yoke (once ground down, they fit great and lay flat). I've had two sets of these. One was unusuable; the cord difference between blades varied by 30 % in some places. The second set, seen here, are cord matched, but way out of balance; very different quality control/precision as compared to the RFM product that I really recommend.

Process;
1) align the blades even and parallel, then tape them together
2) fit check on the fuse and mark for the cut
3) grind them to the taped mark
4) mount them on the spinner and put a low friction rod through the middle of the yoke ( i used a 3mm carbon tube, through the 6mm yoke hole, not the most precise, but workable)
5) extend the blades and balance to find the heavy blade
6) grind off more from the tip of the heavy blade. In extreme cases, like with these Strats, add a drop of Rubberized ca or 5 min exopy to the lighter blades tip; I simply smear it along the back, real thin at the tip, mayby the last 1/2 inch or so, then sand it smooth and grind to balance. Also sand the blade lightly where the glue will adhere.

That's pretty much it. I've had theses to about 13,000 RPM and 2500 watts with no failures. I don't use hard brake on the ESC so that likely helps reduce stress. And I consider these "experimental" and use additional precautions in terms of when and where flying.

Hope that helps,

Eric
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:55 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric, thanks for the info!

Wonder at what prop size you would have to start cutting down props for the Absolute, something huge no doubt!

As for balancing, i use a product from the states. It's the Top Flite Power Point Balancer. Check here;

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=TOPQ5700

For what it costs you can't go without one. Folds up nicely and it is amazingly precise! It's almost scary!

It uses strong magnets, a mylar anti friction disc and a pointy metal rod. If you are cheap then you could make something up like this your selfe.

Much better then the balancers with the wheely bits. I tried those to but did not like them much. Those are not good enough for EDF balancing!

Joe
Last edited by Kimble_Schmitz; Jul 21, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Thanks Man,

I'll need to pick one up.

EDF's? You got all the cool toys. I'd like to to one of those on an Absolute> Seriousely.

In the fuse, with out the need for motor, You's have space galore.

I saw somewhere and RDF Simprop Liftoff (i think it was) at only 400ish watts; it was spectacular and design wise really coplemented the high energy retention of hotliners. I think there's a lot of potential there for sure.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:14 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Okey.... slightly OT conversation here but did you see my Voodoo?

Yeah an EDF Absolute would be WAY cool.

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
You are gonna have to point me in the right direction here. Is there a thread on this?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric,

It was just a joke...... it does fit perfectly, but i did not dare fly it like this.

The Voodoo is sold by Hoellein and there is a thread on it here in the high performance pages. In there you will find lots of setups and info if you fancy. It is a nice warp speed parkflyer and it fits easy in the smallest of cars.

What is stuck on the nose in the picture is the Rotor from a Schubeler DS-30-DIA 4-ph that i was going to use for my Stumax F-104 Starfighter. That project is now waiting for a Kolibri jet engine.

As for ON TOPIC discussion..... my 4S 4900mah NEU pack is now getting it's first charge. Depending on the crap weather we are having here, it might fly soon!

Joe