SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
I ment....................................Wait a minute,where is the flaps???
NO FLAPS?????? Get out with this plane
Yuri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Well if it lives for a year..... i might add flaps to it and also something else.......

This wing rules.......................now, excuse me.

JJ
JJ/ Yuri,

I think you might have yours maidened?
Really glad to know more people could now enjoy the thrills that Absolute brought, that is one of the reasons I have had my fifth (could be sixth?? can't remember clearly)/and a half< just fuselage> on ordered, um....as a pre-x’mas present, if another excuse must be needed.....

In my opinion, it is the 'no-flap' feature that the Absolute have make it fits to its role more....ie.,FUN , FUN and FUN!

With the mininmized feature(= troubles of all those settings in RC/linkages...) and yet maximized structure designs, I could save lot of time/ efforts for routine maintennace and preflight checks. Such advantages from compact and stout airframe are more readily to be seen when one flies an Absolute side by side with the Kamelot (another FVK hotrod with a relative fragile fuselage--maybe that is only a problem within first few lots, will see / talk about that as soon as my ordered fuselage arrive).

That no 'fat' design practically greatly reduces worries with all those insane power/ control wirings under high amp.( insane temp.), especially if one opts for HALV power---by the way, it is this compact / generous <of space for packs>machine enlightened me the benefit of HVLA. The Absolute seems to be a custom made airframe for all those poor but deeply addicted , like me

One of my favourite maneovres that I don't dare to fly with any other airframes is: 3~4 consecutive climbs (each less than 3 secs) to bring him 'high' enough <quite depends with weather/ ambient conditions, the less spectator the better for the sake of safety!!!> and start the diving at ~60deg downward ( watching the acceleration is another FUN factor guarranteed!!!> and then all the way down vertically til it reaches ~100+M ).....and PUSH HARRRRDDDD, NOT pull or its only simiple inside loops, OUTSIDE LOOPS + THE WHIRLING WHISPERS = WOW WOW ...is rippling amongst IC guys... 3 consecutive loops is max by now with the limitation from my eyesight, and my fragile heart beats/ shaking knees

(BEFORE SUCH CRAZY MANEOUVRES….! PLS DO TAKE YOUR TIME TO GET USED TO ITS FLIGHT CHARACTERISTIC OF YOUR AIRFRAME, UNTIL YOU HAVE ENOUGH CONFIDENCE IN KNOWING / MANAGING ITS BEHAVIOURS. SUCH DIFFERENCE COULD BE QUITE LARGE BETWEEN DIFFERENT AIRFRAMES, OR EVEN SAME AIRFRAME WITH DIFF POWER COMBO,ETC,I DID LOSE ONE WHICH KISSED THE GROUND AT THE TOP OF 2ND LOOP.....MY BAD...I FORGOT I ADDED 4S after the 1st session so ast to increase cell count from 6S2P to 8S2P...I WAS INDEED SO LUCKY ON THAT OCASSION with NIL DAMAGES DONE TO PEOPLE AND CAR, more miraculous is that humble HS56HB for ele survived with whole T-tail has been torn out and threw several 20 +M. Therefore: UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, SAFETY ISSUE SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE FIRST PRIORITY MATTER TO BE CONCERN!!!)

As I have mentioned, I am a satisfied owner of Absolute. I have tried many power combo over this 4+ years into 4 airframes, Two of them are still at good flyable conditions though they are not in service in recent months for I am practicing my 3m ship skill.
The older one should be made of the 3nd fuselage and 4rd pair of wings, and it has been reinforced mandatory (read repaired) so much that it has very high wing loading but it is ironically being matched to a ‘smallest’ Pletti amongst other Plettis I have, it is a 220-20-A2P4+7:1. +16x13+ a non-badge china esc 70/90A+ 4S2P Conions,…that is a relative cheap but reliable combo of ~1000W without much tension to the packs, and it is the way I like to run this little motor, though I have worked upwards to 1500W, I tried and learned a lesson with the cost of several packs of Conions.
Another Absolute is made of the 4th fuselage/ a 5th pair of wing ., it has an even older Pletti which is badged as Graupner’s ULTRA 220-25A3P4+5:1,THAT IS THE VERY FIRST power set up that had worked surprising great in my 1st and 2nd , …I still remember the excitement of 800W thrust brought by the kokam 5s1p 10C 3,2AH,( they deterioted ,puffed within 10 cycles but price!.....!!)
And now, that original set up has been upgraded with: RFM’s 18x16 +7deg twisted, + 8s2p Conions+ Jeti spin 75. = ~1700W. And my latest tamed down ~1100W altered with 6s1p-25C/2,200mAh Conxells and 17x18 rfm blades. I do really like that super light combo, weight does not matter much but available space do.

By the way, out of my inquiring mind, does anyone know how many pcs of this little bird has been importing to US.?
I would also like to know/ see more with different set up or even better with some creative power system, like pylon type DD, EDF……etc.

Regards,

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Eric,

I dont have access, but I sit on one of them enough. I worked on Ventura in Encino and could watch the field with my binoculars to see what was buzzing around.

I dont think any Absolute has ever seen a power train like that. I could be around next week, will send a pm if I make it.

JUST AWESOME....

Question: When you are trimming a prop what do you mean. If it is what I think it is...how is this done..
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:54 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. I had some attention on this point after hearing from a friend yesterday regarding the set up.

So, I would like to provide a word of caution for this.

The prop trimming falls into the category of "experimental".

Some have advised against it a couple years back when I first tried it out. As such, I've conservatively gone up on power with the cut props, on a gradient. I've taken them to about 3000 watts and don't use max brake strength; in hopes of reducing the blade stress.

I've been advised (by a highly experienced and trusted enthusiast) that these props, uncut, have failed in ultra high power F5B set ups. That's a very ugly outcome for the plane and potentially hazardous to people and property.

With that being said, here's how I cut them.

I start with a piano wire and put it through the holes at the base of the prop blades; creating a jig of sorts. Then I tape the blades together at the mid point so they are aligned parallel to one another. Then I mark them for the desired length. Then to the bench grinder, going slow and not letting to much heat build up, I take off the required length. After that they are pretty close in terms of balance. Then removing the blades from that jig, I put them on a yoke/spinner, the spinner and blade assembly goes on a prop balancer and the blades are pulled out so they are straight. The heavy side gets hand sanded at the tip until they balance. Then I make the edges smooth and rounded. One more time on the balancer and fine tune as needed.

I've done 5 or so sets of these ranging from 10x14 to 1.5x14 and always started with the RFM 14.5x14 slim. I haven't had any failures or any signs of delamination.

The RFM carbon props are hand made carbon props and likely the best commercially available. When you get them, they are spot on balanced, so trimming/balancing isn't normally necessary.

If you, or any others, decide to go this route, pay close attention to your safety protocols. Here are some things I do.
-plan the flight event, and ahead of time, from batt connect to battery disconnect
-manage the plane as though it could glitch and power up without warning once you connect the batt.
-do not allow anyone to be in the prop arc, or in front of the plane, should it throw a blade.
-fly in areas that are suitable for "experimantal" set ups until you've demonstrated viability

Compared to uncut RFM's, these are really loud, not very efficient and slower to accelerate. But if you like making noise and zipping around for sport flying, they are pretty cool :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 11, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
drivetrain finalized

Motor update:

Trusted source says this about the NeuMotor 1515 1D 6.7 on NueEnergy 6S 4900's .

-"Resonable - no. Possible - yes"

Being that "resonable was not the design goal for this one, and that discovering what's possible is what we are essentially after, the 1515 1D will be ordered this AM.

So, short flights initially with a 14x17 to keep an eye on things, gently opening the top speed envelope, praying for good juju and flutter resistance as we explore what the Absolute can handle. And later, if we need more speed, we can always send in the motor for gear drive reduction.

Now the next big issue is, should I have that sucker ovenighted via FedEx ???

Decisions decisions.....
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 11, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Yes!!!Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:44 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Ya think for the cash your throwing into this thing--overnight shoudl be included....

About the prop. Even though you are balancing the prop. Is it possible that you are, even if only a small amount, changing the pitch of one blade compared to the other.

Can you throw up a picture of one of these?

I find it funny you say that someone with Ultra Hipower setups, what is this???? I think no other absolute has seen anything like it...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman
Ya think for the cash your throwing into this thing--overnight shoudl be included....

About the prop. Even though you are balancing the prop. Is it possible that you are, even if only a small amount, changing the pitch of one blade compared to the other.

Can you throw up a picture of one of these?

I find it funny you say that someone with Ultra Hipower setups, what is this???? I think no other absolute has seen anything like it...
I know what you mean, but hey, the sellers need to survive and make a buck too. Without them, where would we be? That's part of the reason I am so vocal about the good biz types out there; they deserve to be supported. Steve's stuff includes shipping and it's usually just a day or two via Priority mail; that makes the prices pretty darn good.

If the same amount of blade, from the tip inward, is removed, you'll only be changing diameter (not chord). So, for practicle purposes the pitch will be consistant and the same for each.

I'll do a pic of the process when i get there, no prob.

And the ultra high power F5B was refering to World Championship FIA machines; the drivetrain expendable maxing everything out types (hard cut offs).

Maybe no Absolutes have seen a set up like I'm trying, but similar was done before in the Kamie (now gone to a new home :-( (can you say sellers remorse?); at one point, it had a 12S 3700 on a Neu 1512 3D which Pcalced 4700 watts. Nothing got hot (97F post flight batt temp); it was pretty cool. It was also kinda weird cause it wasn't loud like the small prop jobs, probably very efficient (certainly very heavy!!).

That was the inspiration for the Abosulte actually. Since the same power output fits in the smaller lighter plane, it should look quite a bit speedy-er.
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 11, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:00 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric, go for it! If i had the cash, i would!

But be carefull not to prop it down to much..... doing this will increase the RPM's to a point where it might blow up your motor! I'd rather go with the big prop right away and keep the motor run (seconds) to a minimum.

With regards to the cut down blades. I remember asking you about this as well. Please post a picture of a completed set. Just want to know what exactly you mean with ''rounded''. How much do you round them?!

They do make a great sound and that alone would be worth it for me!!!

With a setup this powerfull i think we are entering the relm of inflight changeable blade pitch. Changing from just below ''square'' all the way to hyper speed mode. Now to design a mechanism to withstand the forces put on it!!!

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:09 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Eric,

A quick one. What servos are you using for the Absolute.

I am getting ready for mine, late July. My power setup will be the 'standard' 1509, cc125 etc...

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Just had a quick look at the Kokam info from Wolf F. If his data is true, and i don't doubt it is. These cells will pack a lot more punch then anything else out there, including the much liked Neu 4900 packs. So much so that the calc program is off due to the higher volts under load!

Here is what i am thinking for my Absolute when i get bored with the setup that is about to fly. Always thinking ahead........

Neu 1515/2.5D on 12S Kokam 3200 mah ''H5'' and CC HV-110 with 17x19''

At close to 200 amps, that would be about 7500 watts......

........ or little over 10 HORSES !!!

Joe

P.s. May need to buy 2 HV-110's to take appart, do the same thing as the 125 to 300 upgrade. Simply add another FET board to the controller!
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,224 Posts
You guys are crazy."Absolute" is basically "Blaster" DLG in terms of construction.
Glass over rohacell/herex wing. And 6s would be plenty for "soft crab shell" fuse.
I am really want to be wrong
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Last edited by Dbox; Jul 11, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,224 Posts
Forgot to mention.I am putting a little spare battery and few bulbs inside fuse for a night flights.
Yuri.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:05 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
DBox, What servos you throwing in there.

I am getting my red and yellow as well.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:40 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman
DBox, What servos you throwing in there.

I am getting my red and yellow as well.
I DUNO yet,but measured wing bays clerance and servos up to 12mm good to go.
I thinking ,nothing fancy like HS 65 Hg or Mg.As well as Hs 56 will
work.My friend C-MIC uses HS 56 I guess all the way and he is an absolute expert when it comes to ""Absolute"
I have a good experience with JR 285 for tail and I have one spare,so I set for the tail.BUT NOT FOR THE MOTOR/BATT. YET!!!!!!!!!!
Just ordered
2 NeuEnergy 4S 4100 30C.
Yuri.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Just had a quick look at the Kokam info from Wolf F. If his data is true, and i don't doubt it is. These cells will pack a lot more punch then anything else out there, including the much liked Neu 4900 packs. So much so that the calc program is off due to the higher volts under load!

Here is what i am thinking for my Absolute when i get bored with the setup that is about to fly. Always thinking ahead........

Neu 1515/2.5D on 12S Kokam 3200 mah ''H5'' and CC HV-110 with 17x19''

At close to 200 amps, that would be about 7500 watts......

........ or little over 10 HORSES !!!

Joe

P.s. May need to buy 2 HV-110's to take appart, do the same thing as the 125 to 300 upgrade. Simply add another FET board to the controller!
Get a double carbon layup for that one!