SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:17 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Well if it lives for a year..... i might add flaps to it and also something else.......

This wing rules....... and the fuselage is a speeding bullet!

Mounting the Neu black goodness now, excuse me.

JJ
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
I know little about the F27..... but 3.7 gear sounds good for what you want to do! Keeps the motor RPM down low and allows the use of a smaller prop.

Had to drill the wire exit holes on my wings to. Just check with the fuselage where you can put them. Attached is a picture of where mine ended up for your and anybody elses reference.

Just noticed something else in that video you guys made, there is so much stuff in it!

It has a short blip of you checking the temp on your old Absolute. Or arleast i am guessing it is yours. It has a huge gap at the top of the fuselage to allow the CC 125 to stick outside and into the airflow. Are you going to go this route again? Did you find any big disadvantages by doing this? Did the fuselage lose a lot of torque strength?

Here is where i did my exit hole. It startes just where the trailing edge of the wing finishes. May need something more when i go to 12S on this thing but it will do for now.

tips???
That looks like a really clean one; nice job making the exhaust port look so "factory". :-)

As for the Fuse opening or cut out on the nose, yes, that was my Absolute. And your right, there is sooo much stuff packed into that vid, I even watched in slow motion to catch all the different planes.

The cut out never presented any problems structurally. I've done it on the S14 too and never had any issues. The reason for that opening is two fold.

Firstly, when trying lipo in what I call the "early days", there wasn't a lot of experience to draw upon and I was testing the claimed 30C burst enerland cells at 40+ in some HP set ups. I needed instant access to the drivetrain for accurate post flight temps, as well as a way to regulate airflow. By using tape to regulate the opening size, I was able to figure out optimum cooling. The ESC was always the bottle neck with those setups, but now with the Super 300 / the cells available / all the data we as a community have, HP is easy for anyone to do and it's very reliable.

Secondly, I can charge the batt without removing the wing. Not a recommended practice / compromises safety / it's an expensive batt holder if there's a fire / and all the rest; I know, and do it anyways.

Oh yeah, one other reason on the Absolute for the cut out was to allow the the CC125, that I used to use, to sit up in the airflow just slightly (best cooling ever), and pack a fat lipo under it. That was for a 5S 2P / 1509 1.5D set up. -that was a ripper (blew lots of capps).

I need to go through my flight logs and see some of the specs from that period. I have lots of data from then and it'll help optimize the new motor / batt selection.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Jun 29, 2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
No doubt it will be powerfull No doubt it will use a Neu and No doubt it will use a high S number of 60C rated cells!

Joe!

edit

Oh, incase anyone was wondering..... i did slightly file the TE of the wing tips to make them pointyer..........
Last edited by Kimble_Schmitz; Jun 29, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:22 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,164 Posts
Well,I did not hesitate much for its price and got myself last one from SUSA "yellow and red -gorgeous"
as Eric said.I hope he has a good taste but will see it in one week.Just want to check personally ,what is so special about this particular plane. My best guess is its a big molded brother of Bandit,they share same airfoil and ironically thinned RG-15 is fastest airfoil I have ever flew/"SRTL" -thinned RG-15/ .I have had a Bandit and just loved it.Still have no idea why did I sell it.
Bob also told me he just picked up some new planes from airport and addmited he does not even know what are they
Eric,you right my "planet earth" is just one phone call far from "Candy factory" I should cancell long distance service
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:40 PM
sno
winds a blow'n Im a go'n!
The Sticks!! Central Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
994 Posts
Nice Yuri! More new toys! I am heading back to the midwest for most of July...but I wanna check em all out when I get back!
Matt
sno is offline Find More Posts by sno
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
Kinda like an HV110 on steroids. -Steve Nue inspired madness my guess :-)

From Neu: "2230 Motor and Castle SHV controller being test run on 18S lithium batteries and a 32/10 prop! "

I gotta party with these guys sometime!
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:25 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno
Nice Yuri! More new toys! I am heading back to the midwest for most of July...but I wanna check em all out when I get back!
Matt

Matt,You are welcome any time .
Yuri.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Update

I've been looking at calcs for a 6S 4900 based set up.

Motor Neu 1515 1D 6.7
ESC CC 300
Batts 6S 4900
prop 15 x 17 RFM trimmed slim

Net: 4700 watts output / 17.8 volts loaded at 280 amps / 70,000 motor rpm / 617 oz static thrust at 168 MPH pitch speed / prop 10,500 rpm. ---BTW, we've run a 1512 1D at a similar rpm on 5s without any problems, using F5B style throttle management.

The Castle Creations ESC's and F5B Neu motors continue to amaze. Because these calcs are hard to visualize, I'll reference a couple of posts.

About a year and a half ago, we did this 200 amp 5s set up;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=562661at

That was similar to the new Neu set up, but a 200 amp limit was as hard as I felt comfortable pushing the CC125 on those 5S cells (voltage ripple>blown capps). The CC 300 ESC and Neu lipos open the door wider, a lot wider, now.

In relation to an F5B powered S14 (4S 4900 / 1512 1D 6.7 / 16x17 slim / plus 7 yoke), or the heavier Kamie with the same drivetrain, seen in the next link, The Neu Absolute will push about 1500 watts more power (duh, add 50% more cells;-) and it will have 30 mph faster pitch speed.

Heres the link to show F5B power in the Kamelot:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699601

My S14 never really liked the pushed higher speed enevelope (got pitch sensitive and felt twitchy). So I never did any sport flying with it, just humble attempts at actuall F5B laps (not worth video-ing). And those laps were always a higher count with the standard set up as my errors were less costly. But the Kamie and Absolute were fine with the smaller cut down "speed" props, higher cell count and higher speeds.

In the Absolute, it all looks to be an easy fit, everything just drops in and nothing is stressed or squeezed. From the nose it goes gearbox/motor, then esc on top of 2s 4900, then 4s 4900 under the wing, then receiver pack and receiver. Appears to be pretty close CG wise and batts have room to slide back if needed.

I considered going nuts with a smaller gear reduction; bumping up the prop rpm and using a smaller prop. But in the end, I have decided that top speed isn't really what this plane is about. So, accelleration, or technically speaking, the "zippy factor", has drawn me towards the above, something "moderate" between F5B course entry speed and crazy fast.

Let's see. All parts are now in hand and accounted for except:
-new Hosemonster bungee: delivery expected this week
-CC Super 300: delivery expected this week
-motor: need to make a decision (waiting on some feedback), then I'll get that ordered, and hopefully get it this week also!!!

I feel an all nighter coming soon.
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 10, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 07:18 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,164 Posts
Just got mine an hour ago red/yelloy ,as Eric said "gorgeous".
Yes it is gorgeous.And 18 oz lite.I dont want to drill any holes in it for a while
Some nice things just sit under your nose for years and You dont realise ,that's the ONE untill You got it in your hands.
ERIC,THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO........MUCH !!!!!!
You talk me in to it with your teser posts.
Very happy now Yuri.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
Just got mine an hour ago red/yelloy ,as Eric said "gorgeous".
Yes it is gorgeous.And 18 oz lite.I dont want to drill any holes in it for a while
Some nice things just sit under your nose for years and You dont realise ,that's the ONE untill You got it in your hands.
ERIC,THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO........MUCH !!!!!!
You talk me in to it with your teser posts.
Very happy now Yuri.
MOST EXCELLENT!!!

Now, you have a responsibility my friend. You need to share the luv!!!

Please post pics ASAP.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to choose between these colors?

The yellow red actually looks much better to me. But due to maximising contrast perception at dusk, the red white Absolute won out by a narrow margin; due to the day glow colors I will add to the leading edges.

Still no pic? Stop reading here and go shoot film
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric, you are the man!

Good to see this plane beying to popular as it is what i have!

The numbers look good. You will have to make a slot in the nose for that big CC 300 to fit on top of the 2S pack i guess. But that is easy!

Also at those amps you might want to use the newer 30C/60C rated cells from either Neu or maybe Polyquest or even Kokam.

Don't make the prop to small is what i would say. More amps is better then killing the motor with to much revolutions.

Higher amps also means more power so....... Hoooooo Yaaaa!!!!!!

Looking forward to the VIDEO !!!

Jo

P.s. my humble 4S 4900 should be in the post by now i hope. FlyDMA?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
fit check

Here is how things are lining up.

Hoping to hear back from tech support on final motor selection.
(S. in case you are viewing, I just sent a PM)

Last edited by epwierman; Jul 10, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:24 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Ordered mine Today!!!!
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:31 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
OMG, THAT is AWESOME.

That is, I am at loss for words....scary comes to mind as do others..

I come to LA often, I want to see that fly...it will scream.

I am serious, I will see this fly in person.
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
We'll have to see if she stays together first. I don't normally video tape maidens, but will consider it this time around.

If you have access to the plane shown in your avatar, you can make it from SLC for this evenings fly session! :-) Bring ear plugs, this will be a loud event when we motor test prior to flight.

Absolute won't be ready by this evening, but bungee rail launcher testing is scheduled and that should be fun.

When you do make it, fire off an advanced warning PM and we'll hit the local fields; lot's to see!!!

We just had an all electric, all weekend affair at Sepulveda basin's Apollo Field; camping, BBQ, night flying, the works.

Okay, stop distracting me! back to pedal launcer tweaking..... :-)
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 10, 2007 at 05:49 PM.