HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:25 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Wow, guys, this is some excellent information here. Good luck all with your setups.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
With the right cells, esc, and set up, it simply works every time. Gotta love HP these days. It wasn't always this way>
Eric you don't know how true this is! Trevor just gave me a 8 packs of IB3800/4200 cells and it just reminded me of how much labor was involved in this sort of flying. With the lipos you don't have any popped cells, nothing exploding, esc's even work.

That said, I am yielding. No way I can keep up with the expense of F5B. I am going to keep a few fast systems, but I am going to stick with 2s setups for now. 2s is cheaper and still faster than most planes out there today...

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,073 Posts
Sounds resonable to me. Keep it fun, that's all that counts in the end :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
Yuri and gang,

Which plane do you prefer, the Kamelot or the Absolute and why?
Hi Jay,and others
Simple answer = Absolute.
Reason= It is simple, with ample of space for power trains, but it is much stronger than the Kamelot.
I just went back Hongkong to collect FVK stuffs, quite disappointed to see nothing has changed in the Kamelot fuselage...I think I would be inevitably to switch for a hotter set up for the new Kamelot in order to reduce the inertia momentum (less cells,maybe 3s as top)at landing...
I am so glad to add one more Absolute to my order just in time before they shipped out the parcel. One of them is in yellow/ blue which is quite refreshing to me.

Cheers

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,114 Posts

That said, I am yielding. No way I can keep up with the expense of F5B. I am going to keep a few fast systems, but I am going to stick with 2s setups for now. 2s is cheaper and still faster than most planes out there today...

j[/QUOTE]

That was exactly what I keep saying to myself.But every time I see 4S climbing ,especially in hands of a Pilot.I simple can't resist.
In shorter spans,lighter planes ,2S as good as 4S and twice chipper.
They still fly ,fly well,fly fast .Dieter was flying 2S 1506 in Tiger,guess 38 laps.
Yuri.
Still thinking 1512/1d or Plett. 220/37
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
We all need at least one 1512 1d in the stable....
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Aug 01, 2007, 06:32 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,256 Posts
Absolute-ly Positively

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman
We all need at least one 1512 1d in the stable....
Yes we do!

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox

j
That was exactly what I keep saying to myself.But every time I see 4S climbing ,especially in hands of a Pilot.I simple can't resist.
In shorter spans,lighter planes ,2S as good as 4S and twice chipper.
They still fly ,fly well,fly fast .Dieter was flying 2S 1506 in Tiger,guess 38 laps.
Yuri.
Still thinking 1512/1d or Plett. 220/37 [/QUOTE]

Hi Yuri,
Get 'em all...
Be more serious, I cannot get you an answer cos' dont have any experience in neu motors, but I love ALL those Plettis I have over these yrs, none of them so far fail due to my abuses..(perhaps i dont push them hard enough...)regardless of being labelled as F5B or not.
And be honest, I dont really spend much in this amazing hobby, and one excitment I have from it is when I found a good combo that fits the job with trial and error.....not necessarily FXX specialized, and since I dont compete (at least in forseeable future) I bought many different types of motors ,and they give me lot of surprises and time to fiddle around with them capture me lot of spare 'night time' by which I am indeed saved a lot of money .
By the way. what is your power combo for your current Absolute?
I am building 2 of these and I think I will build one with the 'classic' Pletti combo ,this 220-25A3P4+ 5:1 little motor have been worked so well on and off in diff ABs since the debut some 4yrs ago, I think if I run it in a self 'restricted ' manner--ie 7S ,1500W max ,it could survive FOREVER...!
The second one may...? I have considered to power it with a MID sized EDF, but then I found the mounting should be more straight forward with a one pc wing--the crashed but fixed CAT should be a good test bed.will tell more when it is worked out.....
Any examples /suggestion....? I do like the colour of the yellow-blue much more that the White-Red one as shown at the site of FVK.
Pls post more about it, ...

David
Old Aug 01, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
I keep thinking variable pitch prop when i see my Absolute......

.......also a V-tail !!!!!!

May slap some paint on mine tomorrow, wonder if i should fly it first?! Just in case i screw the paint up!!!

edit

Eric, www.towerhobbies.com has that Top Flite balancer for 20 bucks. Did i not send you the link?
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Aug 01, 2007, 04:36 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,114 Posts
David,I settled with Lehner Basic 4200XL 5:1 4S 4900 and 14.5/14 prop.
I like it so far,tried different props and twisted spinners.This one seems to be most efficient and stable/teps/time wise.It is not a "killer" combo ,but I still cant treat "Aby" as a "killer" plane.And want to keep herl ight.
Get this ,on 3200 4S it lands almost twice shorter then on 4900 4S ,I cant load it more than that, otherwise I have to look for another field to fly.
Or I am a simple bad pilot.
David,one of my Pletti 220/20 gone bad after crash ,it "jerking" in Hi RPM,I talked to Etiene from ICARE,he thinks it is a end bell ball bearing.
Any suggestions ?I asking You as a most experienced Pletty.guy Where I can get one?I dont want to send it for service as I can change berring myself.
As to NEU motors,they are differently NICE -lotsa copper,You should get one or two,what is a problem ?
Yuri
Old Aug 01, 2007, 05:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
I keep thinking variable pitch prop when i see my Absolute......

.......also a V-tail !!!!!!

May slap some paint on mine tomorrow, wonder if i should fly it first?! Just in case i screw the paint up!!!

edit

Eric, www.towerhobbies.com has that Top Flite balancer for 20 bucks. Did i not send you the link?
You did-Thanks! I saw a magnetic one at the HobbyPeople when I stopped by after work last week, it looked interestin so I grabbed it. Also got a control surface deflection meter and a CG stand; not sure why I need these other two, probably will turn into dust collectors - but they looked cool..

Besides the balancer, I am still looking for something that I saw in RadioCarbonArt's Performance Tuning Video; an incidence meter.

Also on the wish list;
-a drill press
-CNC machine
-and oh yes, a variable prop that someone else has tested and proven :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Aug 01, 2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2007, 06:01 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Quote:
-and oh yes, a variable prop that someone else has tested and proven :-)
Didn't i see a picture here somewhere the other day?!

Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Aug 02, 2007, 03:39 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Hi Yuri,
Thank for your kind words but I am no where near to be any expert in any area but the crashes...so I may see what you mean about the Pletti, that happened so frequently to me. Some experience to share...
After each crash, in order to check if the motor is damaged, I will use a 'controlled ESC, packs' to start checking the no-load voltage ,I take the value at 5 to 10secs , depend on if it is 'hot' or 'cold' motor. I do this to each new motor before it is settled in its home and I will put down the figures from a Astroflight Whattmeter onto a label stick on it and use a bits of Kapton tape covered .
With such data, I will check and compare the figures with same 'controlled gadgets' and thus to determine if it is needed/ worth to send for repairs.

--now about your suspicious Pletti, though as I said previously I am lucky with my Plettis are yet to have any 'serious' issue though there were 2 involved in some very serious crashes (one is sured due to a bad crappy esc---,.) and they just survived like nothing happened. But months ago, I had my RW2 crashed so bad, ...including a HACKER 5M which was just on its 2nd airborned, I dug it out from the wreckages,and I examined the outlook and found it not that bad from outside, just a very slight dings on the backplate,and with frayed wires..it also could be turned by hand with bit of strange feel , so I connected up to check the Io with those gadgets and found it was raised from 9A to 21A!!! ....I tried to get it right by simply hammering the backplate but after fighting with it for hours but to no avail,
If it is not the ONLY carbon cased motor I have, and if it was not that 'newly looked' and on its some 3 flts ,....I would not spend that much on shipping and repairing.....so I think it is a similar case to your Pletti , they quoted me for about 50+ Euro, (shipping charges cost some 1/3 of whole transaction !!)

-- See that 'foam diaper for motors?' DONT LAUGH , though looked stupid but practical for hotliners in my experience, that might be the reason for none of my plettis had been damaged. IF I was not that lazy to made one to the 5M, I might ............

GOOD LUCK to you your candies
David
Old Aug 02, 2007, 10:29 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,114 Posts
David,diapers look just about right to me.I was thinking about some like that too.Sort of firewall in between motor and batteries.It could save not just motor but batt.as well.
I threw away so many practikly new LiPos cause of motor /batt jam after crash.
Diggin bearing from Pletty today and starting to shop around for a new one
Yuri.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 06:53 AM
Lufkin Texas
Joined Apr 2006
204 Posts
I,ve just placed an order into Soaring USA, for the Absolute, after reading all of this post. Set up Neu 1509 1.5D/6.7, 4s 1p 4900, 125cc, 14x12 prop. Just the setup alone + servos {ht 125mg x3},and wiring, I'm figuring around 53 0unces, What is the empty weight of the Absolute. What is the C.G. and suggested throws. This plane will be heavier than what i'm used to. Thanks for any info.
defendedbear is offline Find More Posts by defendedbear
Last edited by defendedbear; Aug 11, 2007 at 09:29 PM.