SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
I'm downloading his second setup video now, as of this moment, it's on the last page of that thread. I think he went up on the powera bit :-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:38 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth
Hey Eric,
I'm not sure if mine is light or not. Right now it's 56oz. I did try a light pack but found the retension suffered. I agree that your absolute needs to fly again. Would be interesting.

Ron.
Ron,
Yours' 56 oz is definitely ULTRA- LIGHT when compared to 2 ABs.
According to repairing records, my 2 flyable AB has figures as belows:
1) oldest and heavily beaten version has weights of LWing RW,Fuselage without power pack....=13+13+29=55 oz ,and it has a 220-20A2P4 +7:1, and 16x13, with 5s3p Conion pack it comes to 1,75x15pcs=26,25oz.+ 55oz =81,25 oz!
2) second one is a coloured one with fuselage of no power pack on=28 OZ
and 2 pair of wings of 16 and 18 oz , and the second fuselage is powered by my oldest Pletti 220-25-A3P4+5:1 (GRAUPNER badged), with lattest high discharge rate 20C+Conxells(LIPO packs). it fly so lightly with 6s1p 20c+ 16x13 on 7 deg rfm spinner set.

And there will have another 2 and half(fuselage only) AB coming, so 5 flyable Absolutes soon. I have a bunch of odd ideas to them:

1) as you guys mentioned---will try to use edf unit to fly it. perhaps about 800-1000w first....just need an 5mm shaft adaptor.
2) will try to fly it DD as Pylon type power, I have bought a FUN600-13 for it. anyone has used that -13 as DD ?
3) Fly it as light as possible and cut a flap or rudder so that I will fly it a 'floater....

Good Luck Guys.
Cheers.

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Eric,
I just caught that last vid. That thing is very cool. Looks like a fun project. I wonder if an internal fan would give enough thrust.
David,
I guess the heavy absolute must be tough to land eh. Hard to believe these birds can handle all that power and weight.

Cheers,
Ron.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
Old Jul 24, 2007, 03:24 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Eric,

It was just a joke...... it does fit perfectly, but i did not dare fly it like this.
What is stuck on the nose in the picture is the Rotor from a Schubeler DS-30-DIA 4-ph that i was going to use for my Stumax F-104 Starfighter. That project is now waiting for a Kolibri jet engine.

Joe
I have an 1110 1.5 that would drop right into that thing. on 5S, it would be 750 watts / 150 mph @ 40 oz thrust (if I did the calc right - newbie to edf's).

That's twice what the Liftoff had.

Throw that thing on top of a hotliner!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 04:12 AM
Need 4 Speed :-)
Venray, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
1,104 Posts
Hi,

The liftoff on minifan is a great setup... did see it myself a few weeks ago... nice steady power... not to good climbs, but nice steady speed.... and nice sound!

Only 400W... what would a 800-1000W fan setup do... nice...

Pascal
Rodebaron51 is offline Find More Posts by Rodebaron51
Old Jul 25, 2007, 01:49 AM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Food for thought. I wonder what 2 fans would be like. Hmmm, Absolute warthog.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Based on Andy's motivation to hit this thing with a can a paint and call her done, I'm off to the garage, armed with a can of flourescent red, in hopes of inproving the contrast a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Did this with some wing tips before on a well used wing, but it's a bit scary doing this to a new plane with a perfect finish....
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 25, 2007 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:24 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Andy, thanks! That was an easy process. Much faster than applying bright tape as I've done before.
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 25, 2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:57 AM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
I hit mine with red fluorescent paint. Shows up well now. My eyes are getting tired and I lost her a few times. Thats a freaky feeling.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 07:52 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Eric, don't have much time. Just wanted to say nice paint! Please let me know how and i will do the same on mine!

Also you may want to look at the Vector from Schubeler, just to see what speed EDF's can get up to.

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Hey Kimble,

Thanks. The time part is the real value in doing this, it's a 15 minute cycle getting the first coat on, then another 5 minutes later after the first coat sets. Piece of cake.

I used a 3m Scotchbrite pad to lightly rough up the surface, just the area intended for paint. Then shot "Tamiya for plactics" (small can), TS36, which is more of a flourescent pink color; really bright in person, camera phone doesn't do it justice. The neaon color really pops, almost looks electrified and glowing.

I shot diretly over the red tips and feathered it into the white. I wanted the majority of the leading edges in this color, in order to improve contrast when the plane is coming at me and is below the horizon or tree line.

Several light coats are Better than a thick coat which gets drippy. It's very transparent stuff, so it's easy to lay down to much, trying for a deep color with one pass, resulting in runs/drips,

The S14 tips look the best as this color really looks good over the rainbow red orabge to yellow fade.

Good luck,

Eric
Last edited by epwierman; Jul 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth
I hit mine with red fluorescent paint. Shows up well now. My eyes are getting tired and I lost her a few times. Thats a freaky feeling.
Those lines look really good. I'll do that next time around, using some tape. I found getting an even feathering process difficult with a spray can.

Yours looks very sano!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Thanks,
I would have done what you did but I know it wouldn't have turned out like yours.
Tried a few and butchered them bad.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 02:29 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Oh! By the way, Tolual works great on those botched paint jobs. Even on cured paint.
It cuts right through with a rag and doesn't hurt the finish. Ask me how I know.
Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Tolual? Where might I find that? Sounds like good stuff to have on hand.