HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
649 Posts
At the clubs flying field my club flies from i don't think they ban any type of planes, but they do ask that really big planes not be flown when theres a large crowd around.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Last edited by webdragon; Nov 20, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo's
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:45 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Pretty common sense there web.. good saftey protocol.

I am talking about giving where it makes sense to give. I am not talking about turbines on a field surrounded by joe and jane middle class housing.

I look at that pic of that field.. and I can see allot of different types of planes that could potentially be flown there. Pattern Foamies, nearly anything that could be hand launched and belly landed. Which describes a great many planes.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:48 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Eric,

I certainly hope you are a believer and are just as zealous for spreading the good word as you appear to be in wanting to help hapless RC fliers around the country.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:10 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
Pretty common sense there web.. good saftey protocol.

I am talking about giving where it makes sense to give. I am not talking about turbines on a field surrounded by joe and jane middle class housing.

I look at that pic of that field.. and I can see allot of different types of planes that could potentially be flown there. Pattern Foamies, nearly anything that could be hand launched and belly landed. Which describes a great many planes.
I admire your commitment. I am sure you are a great asset to your club.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:40 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
platinum
You are absolutly correct. Many types of models could be flown from that field. However the club that holds the charter and the landlord have decreed that the field shall be used for sailplanes.
Sailplanes are what that club is built around. It was their choice.
I am presently looking into forming a club. I'm presently looking into several sites that might be available. Should I succeed in getting one of those sites I will apply for an AMA charter. I have enough people interested in becoming members to form the group.
It will be an electric only club.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:52 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
platinum
You are absolutly correct. Many types of models could be flown from that field. However the club that holds the charter and the landlord have decreed that the field shall be used for sailplanes.
Sailplanes are what that club is built around. It was their choice.
I am presently looking into forming a club. I'm presently looking into several sites that might be available. Should I succeed in getting one of those sites I will apply for an AMA charter. I have enough people interested in becoming members to form the group.
It will be an electric only club.

BM
From what I read, this seems to be a growing trend, especially in areas that have homes nearby. Fields that would never be approved for glow and gas are being approved for electric only.

Do you expect to be building a runway?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
I'll say it again. I am extremely fortunate to live where I do. No encroachment issues at all by our field. I feel bad for you folks that have to deal with those kinds of issues.

Good luck with your new field Bill.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 22, 2007, 01:10 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
aeajr
The site I'm hoping to get is about 25 acres with a good access road. We would have a grass runway as a lot of the planes the guys fly are on the larger side. The site would take a minimum of preparation.
i've spoken to Joe Beshar about it and he has expressed a desire to help us with the field aquisition.
So we'll hope for the best. There are a couple of problems to overcome. One may scuttle the whole idea.

BM
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:57 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
25 acres is great! Is there an treed overfly area or are you surrounded by houses?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
aeajr
Nothing but wide open spaces. Nearest tree is at least a mile away.

BM