HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Discussion
It was fifty years ago today

Heard a great programme on the radio tother night- Whispering Bob Harris with his documentary "When John Met Paul" in celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of that first meeting between Lennon and McCartney at Woolton fete July 6th 1957.There's an event at Woolton next Friday at which the original surviving Quarrymen will be appearing.

http://www.originalquarrymen.co.uk/h...july_2007.html

Now, sitting in the car listening to this excellent programme I was struck by one thing. What are the chances that Macca himself turns up at the fete unannounced. Just like in 1957? okay maybe not on his bike, but think about it - he's got a new album out, which he's already put on a small unnanounced gig for a few hundred punters to promote and I won't be at all surprised. If it happens remember that you heard it here first...

Smashing programme. I hope they put it on listen again

http://www.wbbc.biz/pages/index.htm
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:18 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
A Day in the Life ...

Paul saw John performing with his band the Quarrymen.

Paul was impressed by John's charisma and ability to make up lyrics.

After they were introduced, John was impressed by Paul's memory of lyrics and ability to tune a guitar.

About a year later, Paul convinced John to accept his younger friend, George Harrison, into the band to play lead guitar.

John's friend Stuart Sutcliffe later joined the band playing bass; re-named the band "The Beatals", and soon quit the band and died. Paul took over bass guitar.

John re-named the band "The Beatles".

John, Paul and George "fired" Pete Best, their drummer, and replaced him with Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey).

The Beatles recorded Love Me Do, and the rest is history.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:29 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,472 Posts
I stumbled over a few seconds of last millennium 'Whispering Bob Harris' last week when searching Youtube for Neil Innes' 'Protest Song'. I was totally gobsmacked. I remembered him as an old geezer, but on the clip he looks like a young kid.

I guess we've all aged - some better than others.

NEIL INNES - PROTEST SONG - Rutland Weekend Television (3 min 24 sec)
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:16 AM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Ah, looks like The Old Grey Whistle Test. Classic.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:33 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
It was 50 years ago, TODAY!
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:38 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Yep - The Quarrymen were on the local NW news at lunchtime, getting ready for their gig this evening and it's stopped raining and looks set fair for the evening. Nobody has said anything but I bet Macca turns up.......
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer