Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 28, 2007, 04:49 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Discussion
Newbie - 1980's Sig Colt Trainer Build

Hey guys, I'm new to the plane scene so I thought I'd get started with my own thread to learn a little. I've been into electric helis for the past year or so, and have gotten pretty good with them, and now I want to get into nitro planes. My dad started a Sig Colt Trainer kit like 30 years ago but never finished it. Well with my new interest in RC I wanted to get it finished so I could have a plane to fly, so here we are. I can fly the NexStar pretty well in Realflight G3.5, and have some guys at the local field that should be able to get me going on learning to fly. I've already started reading through plane threads that catch my eye to begin the learning process, and have found some good noobie info already. Other than that, you might share your advice, tips, important info, servo advice, engine advice, that kind of stuff. I've also included some pics for you to comment on. Thanks!
~Trumpetrhapsody
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Last edited by TrumpetRhapsody; Jun 28, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Wow! Long long time to see one of those.

Way back in '75 I started out with a Sig Klipper, which was the sister ship to the Colt. There was one other in that series....can't think of it at the moment. It flew ok, but the move up to a 4 channel trainer in the Goldberg Falcon 56 was a quantum leap vs. the little Klipper.

Things I'd do to your Colt in finishing it out--

ABSOLUTELY use at least 2 and better yet 3 pieces of strapping tape--the kind with the fibers in it--- side by side on the bottom of the wing near the center, one continuous piece from wing tip to wing tip. This will strengthen the foam wing SIGNIFICANTLY!
If you decide to cover the wing, make sure you use a low temp iron on covering. I think we used Econokote back in that day. Otherwise the foam is going to bubble up from the heat of the iron and have a major "orange peel" type of look.

Good Luck with the Colt, and thanks for the memories!

Rube
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
Way back in '75 I started out with a Sig Klipper, which was the sister ship to the Colt. There was one other in that series....can't think of it at the moment.
Sig Scamp?

Nice looking little birds. A local shop is selling them for 39 . (~53 USD)
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:47 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
My dad bought some extra balsa, and wants to modify ailerons onto the back of the foam wing, do you think that's a bad idea? If it isn't a bad idea, should that be done after or before monokoting the wing

That filimant tape, under or over the monokote on the wing?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
If adding ailerons... do it before covering.

And... reduce dihedral by half.

Slice out the ailerons 1/4 inch larger than desired.

"Cap" the back of the fixed portion wth 1/4 inch balsa to give the hinges something solid to glue into.

You can either use balsa ailerons or cut the removed foam ailerons down, cap them similarly (but use 3/8 inch balsa due to needing to bevel) and use them.

If you use the foam ailerons... you'll also need to inset reinforcement at the control horn location... or if using torque rods you'll need to drill way oversize and glue a center-drilled dowel in to accept the torque rod.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Woah that all sounds pretty complicated. Is there maybe a tutuorial with pics? Maybe I just shouldn't worry about ailerons for now
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:58 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Woah that all sounds pretty complicated. Is there maybe a tutuorial with pics? Maybe I just shouldn't worry about ailerons for now
Foam wings are so simple to cut with hotwire that you could just build the wing as it's supposed to be and if you think so, build another wing with ailerons.
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:35 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
Since this will be your first glow fuel plane why not just stick with the plans and go 3 channel? There are so many things that can go wrong in building, so why complicate it any more than you need to? Build the 3 channel wing and as Jupeli suggested, later you can build a 4 channel wing. Best of luck in your building and flying.

Stan
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Jul 04, 2007, 10:18 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Thanks! Yeah we've decided to keep it 3 channel for now. Later we'll probably build another wing for it with ailerons.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 01:21 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
I just ordered the Sig Klipper, I'll go pick it up tomorrow. Any interest in a build thread? They also have the Colt and Scamp, but for me the Klipper looks the best. I'm considering on powering it with an OS .15 LA, but I don't know yet, maybe electric setup would be possible too. (Also ordered a Cox CL stunt with a .049, Risteysasema sure has a lot of nice, nostalgic thingies for sale... )
Last edited by Jupeli; Aug 31, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 01:41 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Yeah build threads are always nice.

When my dad gets tired of the nitro colt after a year or so I may throw a nice size brushless in it. Twould be pretty nice.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 02:03 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
I just can't understand ppl who buy vintage kits (Sig's ain't that vintage, but at least discontinued....) and never build them. If I see a nice old kit, I feel it's my duty to make it fly. I guess you've had similar thoughts with your Colt.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:38 AM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
All right, I picked up the kit today. I think I've got a pretty good idea of it's age as the box contained a page of The Des Moines Register dated Monday, October 10, 1988 used as packing material.
The styrox wing is very high quality and the aluminium landing gear too, but I haven't yet inspected the wooden parts except for that all of them look straight.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupeli
I just can't understand ppl who buy vintage kits (Sig's ain't that vintage, but at least discontinued....) and never build them. If I see a nice old kit, I feel it's my duty to make it fly. I guess you've had similar thoughts with your Colt.
Yeah I think it's a crime he let something like this sit around for so long unattended, but he has different priorities in life than I do . Although, this wasn't vintage when he bought it, it was new!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:40 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Here's today's progress. (Btw. time zone GMT+2 DST here)

Edit: You've finished the Colt yet? What's the AUW?