HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Will look forward to this one re-starting!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Back on the Project -- At Last!!!

Been watching the false start on the Titanic for way too long and desided it was high time to get back on the project. So, I dug it out, blew off the dust and got seriouse about getting the project going again.

It started with painting the hull. The black and white were sprayed with DuPont Nason base coat. The hull was masked and the bottom color applied using Ktylon rust red primer. The glod stripe was then added using automotive pinstripe tape.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:32 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Moving Up

The decks were airbrushed using Model Master enamels. Various cabin walls and railings were also painted in preperation for the basic framing process.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Prepping the Hull for the Deck Assembly

The main deck was fitted into the hull to find that it did not fit well. The hull was warped slightly making it too wide for a good fit, so an internal framework of 1/4 sq. spruce was added to true it up.

And here's where the first big dilemma cropped up -- how to get into the hull for maintainance and battery access.............
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Starting the Deck and Cabin Assemblies

The problem is, the entire upper deck will need to be removed to gain access into the hull. I looked at several different ways to set it up so that the main deck could be glued in place, but the longer I looked, the less likely it seamed practical. So, it looks like the entire deck assembly will lift out -- which in the end doesn't look like it's really going to be much of a problem.

The main deck was fitted first, then the middle section was cut out -- just in case I changed my mind about access. As it turns out, the opening just isn't big enough to do anything with anyway....
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Working up the First Two Levels

From here, it's down to simply assembling the deck and cabin components according to the assembly instructions. At this point, the small parts were not added. Will save those for later when they're less vulnerable to damage.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Continuing Upwards

The process continues up through the deck levels. I got as far as the third deck, and will continue upwards next time around.

PAT
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:01 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
How did this ever turn out?
wartoy is offline Find More Posts by wartoy
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Wartoy, Unfortunately I haven't made much progress since the last update. I do plan to finish the project, but there's so much going on that I just haven't been able to get back to it.

PAT
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:12 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
I have the same kit and have been saving it for the same conversion. I will be watching this closely.

Good luck
wartoy is offline Find More Posts by wartoy
Old Feb 06, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Since the model will use only a single S-280, the prop shaft was made up from 1/16" brass wire. The stuffing box is 1/8" O. D. brass tube with a 3/32" O.D. tube, 1/2" long, soldered into both ends.
Getting the hole drilled into the aft hull was a bit tricky due to the angle needed to work around the rudder hinge post. The process started with a .039" bit hand drilled into the boss to insure the hole was centered. Then progressively larger bits up to 1/8" were run in to open the hole for the shaft.

The shaft was installed and Cya'd in place, with a 3/8" block to support the front end. The motor will be glued in place with silicone using triangle stock for support with a plastic tube flex coupler to connect the motor to the shaft.

PAT
THANKS, I got a Tamiya Big 1/350 Enterprise Aircraft Carrier to RC.
I wondered about the stuffing box.
junglelord is offline Find More Posts by junglelord
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:31 PM
SKPERFRANK
mmoraine Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Ahoy Pat

Hardy Well Done, How do you get to the battery compartment? will you have to construct the palamade midship section please excuse my spelling, I have a titanic kit to thinking of doing what your doing looks great keep up you might have something started here on your thread.
skipperfrank is offline Find More Posts by skipperfrank
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:41 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
475 Posts
I bought this exact same kit with intentions of rc'ing her. I started but got a little ticked off when I started installing my shafts and couldn't get the center one to go in nicely. So it went back int he box and i'm working on the WACK and NAIKOON TUG for now. Will finish it someday.

Cheers,
Cadmunkey is offline Find More Posts by Cadmunkey
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:31 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Ive often considered painting out my parts like that ..but the glue always throws me of ..You using alot of CA on this one ..Pat ..
Never had any luck my self with paint and plastic cement
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old May 06, 2013, 03:04 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Any chance this model was ever completed?
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316