SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
hg1
San Luis Obispo, California
Joined May 2007
312 Posts
Idea
Airframe design suggestions for small coaxial rotor craft ?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on a very small hovering airframe using coaxial fixed blade rotors (no cyclic or collective) powered by brushless motors. Steering will be accomplished by steerable aerodynamic surfaces or weight shifting. Props will be in the range of 10-12" diameter, with total aircraft height of less than 8", and total weight, including electronics and battery less than 9-oz (250-gm). I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to do about motors, props and electronics, but not much experience with airframes, so comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Howard

ps: I attached a photo of a prototype ... this particular model was not stable - the props were too small, the motors and frame too heavy, and the weight balance was completely wrong, but it was a useful starting point. My next step is to experiment with stabilizing wings under the props.
hg1 is offline Find More Posts by hg1
Last edited by hg1; Jun 29, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:01 PM
hg1
San Luis Obispo, California
Joined May 2007
312 Posts
Here's an update - I built a new airframe using poplar strips. The weight balance between top and bottom is still wrong - the motors are too heavy for this setup, but some lighter motors are in route. I'd like to get to the point that this can achieve a stable hover taking on the steering challenge.

======================

I'm moving this thread over to the VTOL forum - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706462
hg1 is offline Find More Posts by hg1
Last edited by hg1; Jun 29, 2007 at 03:50 PM.