Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:34 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire Mark XVIII or Seafire plans?

Well?

I'd love to have a Seafire.. Maybe I should modify and existing kit..

Anyone?

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Last edited by Tram; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:36 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,484 Posts
Hi Tram, take a look at K&A models Ken made a nice looking spit for speed 400..its near the bottom of that page...I have been eyeing one also..I want to do the coaxil motor set up!
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
That is a nice bird.. I had no idea he made that bird.. Nor did I know about his Me-163..

The Spit is a little smaller than I'd like.. I'd like to find something 36" to say 50" or so..
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:06 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
There are some Spitfires here.
https://sslrelay.com/s84068217.onean...dex.shopscript

Warpaint book #20 is dedicated to Griffon Seafires (including several diagrams and colour options)

The neat thing about the Spitfire family is that it was evolutionary. Nearly every change was first tried out on a previous version. By finding out where your version is in the family tree, you should be able to put together most of the airplane with plans of other versions, and only have cosmetic changes. Stay away from Spiteful/Seafang. A completely new aircraft.

The Seafire XVII could be done with the following:
Wings- The planform is roughly the same in all Spitfires until the 20 series. Minor cosmetics can finish this out.

Engine- Early model Griffon, same as a Spitfire XII or Seafire XV. It seems slightly shorter than later versions.

Fuselage- A low back Spitfire should be made to fit

Tail- Horizontal should be the same for all but the latest versions. The vertical tail seems to be a small fin and large rudder.

Mixing and matching plans should help you get most of it. Should be an interesting project.

DJM
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,484 Posts
Hi Tram, yes a bit larger would be nice! I did build one of Kens 163...neet plane also..Its tiny at 24in ws...I am trying to get Ken to do larger one!
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
There are free plans on the internet for the Alex Padashenko Mk XVI Spitfire at 29" but obviously upscalable. There have been a thread on it some time back, Mickey did it if I recall correctly.
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
I was just going to suggest the Pedashenko Mk XVI plans from '97 as a starting point as well. Nice plans.

Thomas
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:34 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
A 16 (XVI) is basically just a low-back 9. To get a Seafire XVII or a Spit XII you will need to build a different nose for the single-stage Griffon - the rest is just scoops and radiators and spinners and stuff.

To get a Spit XIV or XVIII from a XVI you need to build a different different nose for the two-stage Griffon. And you have to start getting into fairly substantial differences in the fin as well as the rudder.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
397 Posts
RCME had a free plan for a 40" Spitfire MkIX in their special mag earlier this year. for a .25cu motor. I'm in the process of building one now but have modified to put a brushless in it with LiPo for power. It looks like it will have an AUW of around 900g. If you are interested PM me.
Bosk is offline Find More Posts by Bosk
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:52 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Well?
I'd love to have a Seafire.. Maybe I should modify and existing kit..
Hi again Tram, I too have the itch to some day build a Seafire XVII. My plans are for a much larger, IC powered model so I really can't speak to what plans might be available in the size range you seek. However, if they are of any use to you, I do have a nice set of scale drawings for the XVII. From a Spitfire starting point your best bet would probably be a MK. XII but that was a limited production Spit and is not too popular with model builders. If the K&A model recommended above is the same one I had beware that it is a Spitfire wing mated to a Spiteful fuselage and does not really represent any version of the Spit very accurately. Good luck with your search.

Chad Veich
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:04 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys..

I guess I'll need to keep looking..

Chad - That Seafire sure had some intakes on it didn't it?

Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:20 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Tram-- That last photo is too sweet. Ever considered starting with a SureFlite Spitfire and bashing it into a Seafire? I have the latest version from them and it's 57" ws. They seem to have elongated the center section of the wing a little which is easily removed to give a pretty scale look. I'm working on one now. I'm going for a mk IX. It looks pretty cool. Has a reputation for good flying qualities as well.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Does SureFlite still produce a kit?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
RCM&E did a free plan for a MK22 for a speed 600, I have the build article and plan but can not find it on their website? They did the mouldings for it as well. They are popular for the Ripmax Spit that does not come with the wing radiators.
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:05 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Yeh, maybe I can see if someone has that issue that won't use the plans..

Do you know what issue the plans came in so I can start looking?