SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2002, 05:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
DOW CORNING - BLUE BULLET by Gerry Rivera!

Hello, I am posting this thread to give credit where credit is due for my buddy Gerry (a.k.a., SIMANO).

From eye view and with no plans, just looks at two different types of aircraft in mags or internet pictures, he scratch built a plane between a citabria and Piper from nothing more than DOW CORNING BLUE CORE foam!

Look at this little plane, it weighs nothing...it's powered by the small GWS motor that came in his Tiger Moth and the juice is provided by a one 9-Volt 150mAH NiMH Radio Shack battery. The flights presently stay up at 7 minutes !!!

He has taken it up about 300 feet, it is so light it gains altitude in no time. It is very snapy in turns and guides very well. The only comment Gerry told me is that he needs to provide a little more balance cuz it comes in slightly nose heavy during landings. I say, not bad for a foamie from scratch and with no plans!

Here's some pics! The liitle plane is the first one in the foreground.
Carlos.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2002, 06:00 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
DOW CORNING - BLUE BULLET

Fly? Yes indeed it does and better than many kit foam planes from the box!! This little thing gets up and go from the start and turns are almost Park Flyer Stunt like. It is so light that the one 9-Volt Battery lasts 7 minutes ! It seems unreal, cuz this little plane takes high breez as well, I should know we live in Central Florida!

Carlos.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 06:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
DOW CORNING - BLUE BULLET

Here's a close up picture of this remarkable little plane and his owner and creator! Way to go Gerry! (a.k.a., SIMANO)
Old Nov 05, 2002, 07:17 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Very clean

I like the looks a lot. Of course I am not ready for a plane that leads with its motor.

Is it slow enough to be a good trainer? Any specs?

Isn't F3 great stuff?
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Nov 05, 2002, 08:42 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: Very clean

Quote:
Originally posted by Jgardner
I like the looks a lot. Of course I am not ready for a plane that leads with its motor.

Is it slow enough to be a good trainer? Any specs?

Isn't F3 great stuff?
Hello JGardner,

Yes, indeed it is very slow and an excellent trainer.

I don't have the statistics exactly but, if you see the picture again posted above, it seems that Gerry told me it had 23 inches of wingspan and perhaps 13 inches long. The FUSE is 2 inches wide at the wing attachment point.

Gerry told me that he was going to make the wing span a little more say, 30 inches and it will be an excellent trainer. He also told me that making the FUSE a little less wide will be even more strimlined and will use less Juice.

I would make it 30 inches of wing span and the same lenght of FUSE but, making the FUSE 1.24 wide will make the resulting plane a winner for someone that is looking for a scratch built plane! Gerry told me this past weekend that he was going to install the servos inline instead of side by side to save space and allow for the norrow FUSE.

I hope this helps.

BTW: Gerry built this plane intended for his girl friend as a trainer.

Carlos.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 06:50 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Presently the Best Home Built !

Gerry, Seems like this Blue Bullett is your best and most enjoyable little plane model you have built. I know you are on your second home built, the ACRO,

For those of you that don't know us or are not following Gerry's developments, the ACRO has it's own thread located at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&pagenumber=2

however, you had much more fun with that little BLUE BULLETT and it stayed up for 12 minutes, remember?

Anyway,

I am looking at the WindCast Weather Forecast at intellicast.com and it really doesn't look good for light Park Flyers!!!

Go to
www.intellicast.com

then, upper right corner type in your "ZIP CODE"
then, place your cursor over to "Forecasts"
a drop down menu will appear and select "Windcast."

a neat "Wind Forecast" will appear for the location you indicated with the local times throughout present day and the next.

I'll keep you posted when I will bring my Park Flyers in at Kennedy Space Center to fly at the Flying Field as soon as I get a good Forecast. It may be not until Wendesday or Thursday of this week.

Take care,
Carlos
Old Nov 17, 2002, 08:08 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's a better one: http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...t=Get+Forecast

Just change the region and location to get your local forecast, and then save it as a favorite. I love it.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:19 AM
Lexington, South Carolina
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
NICE JOB. Keep up the great work. You have me wanting to try my hand at building something out of foam. I have several sheets of the white foam about 1/2" thick at my office. Any ideas on what I can build with it?

Steven
Steven9026 is offline Find More Posts by Steven9026