HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:34 PM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Discussion
Is it me, or am I the only one that not rushed to get a 2.4 radio?

Is it me, or am I the only one that not rushed to get a 2.4 radio, or worry about getting (or waiting for) an upgrade module for my radio?

I understand that this is a huge upgrade, faster resolution, no channels to worry about, lock outs, radio interferences...

I guess I've been flying 72mhz long enough, but haven't had problems, that I'm not in a rush to buy another radio... especially since I have an Evo 9.

Actually, it'll probably be better if more people get the 2.4 ghz radio so that the chances of my channel being freed is higher.

Am I the only one?
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:07 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
I went out to the local club's fun fly yesterday, and as far as I could tell, there were exactly zero 2.4GHz radios there. I was very surprised by that. I have a Spektrum, but I didn't fly. The Spektrum was my first radio that I bought last year when I started flying. I actually have a 72MHz radio on order because I bought a batch of receivers, and I have a use for them. I'll probably upgrade to a better 2.4GHz radio later this summer.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Our club (30 who regularly show up and fly.. 45 members) has exactly one 2.4 ghz radio that has shown up at the feild, one time.

I'm holding off for the bugs to get found.

And they are still finding bugs with the 2.4 ghz. Sorry... its not a miracle system. It took years to get all the bugs out of 72 mhz am... then it took years to get the bugs out of the FM systems...

Maybe another 2 years and I'll buy a 2.4 ghz, when the bugs are worked out and there's better selection at better prices.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
I haven't seen anyone with a 2.4 yet either.

I generally never buy 1st generation anything. Let all the other people work through the bugs.

And the thought of changing all the receivers...
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
I am the same... In a year or so I will most likely get the JR 12 2.4Ghz..
In the mean time i am happy with my 9303 (9xvII) on 36Mhz.

Rob in OZ
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,502 Posts
Wow I am surprised - last time I was at a nearby club field - the spektrums were at least 1:1 with 72MHz systems....

I can tell you - I have found no bugs - and let me tell you it was no small task to get me off Airtronics.

I have three systems now DX6, DX7 and a Futaba 2.4GHz system!

I do have to admit - that it sure has freed up the frequency board!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:39 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Yeah, that's what I like about 2.4ghz. We have 4 people in our club with spectrums, and I keep encouraging the other members to get spectrum also. More frequencies open for me that way. :-)
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
And they are still finding bugs with the 2.4 ghz.
Would you be good enough to give us a general summary of the 2.4 gHz bugs? As you know, the 'actual results' threads are really long and don't follow the original intent - a lot of chaff to wade through.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Most seem pretty happy, but I have a lot of carbon in my sailplanes and also am very leery of being the "early adopter" in general
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
most recent bug is the Spectrum RX's going into 5 second lockouts with no warning.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
425 Posts
We are about 3:1 at my field with 2.4

72 is going away fast.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
most recent bug is the Spectrum RX's going into 5 second lockouts with no warning.
That's a pretty misleading statement. I guess batteries also go flat without warning - depending on your perspective.

The only real bug has been a firmware issue with the ar6100, which has been fixed - a locked control surface at full deflection - ouch.

The issue alluded to in the statement is that Spectrum RX (at least ar6100 and ar7000, dunno about the ar9000) take some time to re-initialise (reboot) if you drop the voltage below 3.3V by either runing the batteries too low, or drawing too much current with your servos, or a combination of both.

Some of us consider it a "feature" to work with by using good power system design and management (given it is clearly stated in the product specs), some consider it a bug.

I leave you to decide one way or the other - I'm not here to convince anyone of anything.
kevinelp is offline Find More Posts by kevinelp
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
when the system can reboot under load of the supplied servos using the supplied battery freshly charged.,.. I'd call that a defect.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:55 PM
Rory
Australia, Belrose
Joined Aug 2005
71 Posts
I was a bit of a sceptic at first. Now i have a Spektrum module in my 9303 and i have not have one problem. In Aust we use 36mhz and i was getting bad glitches, especially in a particular spot on the field. Tested with 6100 v1.2 and now no problems at all. I have completed some extensive range tests and my 6100 will go 350 meters in range on the ground. I am unable to go any further as the line of sight is a max of 350 meters. I have tested in Foamy, fibre glass and balsa and i have not had 1 problem. I get no re-booting problems ever. I also have tested a 7000 in a Trex with the same results. For me it has answered my problems with glitches. I do find it unusual that anyone could complain when the voltage drops below 3.5volts. Spektrum clearly states that the operating voltage range needs to be above 3.5 volts. So who is the problem then !!!!

One other thing 2.4ghz does is show exactly how good or poor skilled a pilot is, with glitches not a problem, then the excuses go away!! I visted a fly day at my local ground where 75% of the crashes were blamed on glitches. I bet with the introduction of 2.4ghz the number crashes would still remain the same.

Anyway i am a Spektrum/JR fan and i am happily converting my fleet to 2.4ghz.
Roryw is offline Find More Posts by Roryw
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:03 AM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2003
252 Posts
I wouldn't call it a defect until I see a lot more of them happening. The only problem I see so far is how many so called experts in this hobby have been getting away with sub-par power systems....

I decided not to jump in with both feet. I got a module for my 9303. So far so good.
wildnloose is offline Find More Posts by wildnloose