SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:22 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Discussion
Changes to Randy Randolph Jodel for E-power

Having just crashed my one and only flyable electric plane (my own design scratch built semiscale Supermarine 224) I need a quick build to keep me in the air until I can finish the three other complex projects that are in the works and repair the "sorta" 224. A Jodel Bébe seems a likely subject, especially since I have the plans already. The design is for a Cox 1/2A engine, so I'm sure I can "simplicate, then add lightness," as Douglas chief designer Ed Heinemann used to say, but I'd like some input from those who've done this conversion - if anyone's done it.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Geoff
I had the good fortune to know Randy Randolph. All of his designs are great fliers - he was parkflying before the term was coined - and his models are robust too. If you have the plans, go for it. Don't know about that particular one, but the small models column in Flying Models often features electrocutions of Randy's designs and they all fly just fine.

My first ever Speed 400 model was a 36" 049 semiscale of the TEAM MiniMax that I'd designed myself. Adding a S400 and seven AA pencells vice the Cox Baby Bee upped the weight from 16 to 24 oz, which didn't do it a lot of good. Now, with itty-bitty cheap-O outrunners and LiPos plus micro servos, there's no reason you can't just about toss the heavy engine-based firewall for something lighter and make a great conversion.

Good luck, let us know how you get on - that's a cute model

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 25, 2007, 09:23 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Thanks, Dereck!

I intend to scrap the heavy firewall as you say, and built a stick fuselage instead of a slab-sided one. I'll build up the tail surfaces instead of making them solid as on the plans, and will scrap the thick wing spars in favor of thin ones with 1/64" plywood webs and sheet the forward section with 1/32" balsa to make a rigid "D" tube.

The one additional weight will be an aileron servo. Randolph's original was rudder and elevator only. I'm shooting for under 16 ounces all up weight, with the battery all full of electrons!

If someone's got other suggestions for making it lighter/stronger, limmie know!

I envy you your having known Randy Randolph! I really liked his column in Flying Models.

Geoff
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:02 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
A little progress! 1/8" spars with webbing replace the big unwebbed originals. Notice the spar carry-throughs for the dihedral tips, eliminating heavy ply braces. Leading edge will be sheeted with 1/20" sheet (available from Lone Star Balsa.)

The fuselage (background) is stick-built instead of slab-sided as in the original.
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Jul 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: addition