HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:55 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Discussion
Diamond Dust RC

Anyone ever try these? I saw a Diamond Dust with a .32 glow on it fly today and it was off the hook. Thinking serious about grabbing at least one of their birds if they ever open up for ordering again. Electric powered of course
http://www.diamonddustrc.com/index.html
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:51 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,450 Posts
bildo, getting hooked on those Delta's eh? They are a Hoot to fly!
Back in the day, I used to say: Burn Fuel, Make Noise! Battries are for Flashlights!
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:10 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
The .32 Diamond Dsut is a Bat out of HE double toothpicks for sure. Wish I woulda had my vid cam yesterday. Super maneuverable and thin airfoil on that one. The one I saw had a rudder and single vertical stab. Crazy flat spin action.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2006
849 Posts
How much wing loading do these planes (35" wingspan) take--that is, how much power can you load up and keep them "reasonably" stable?
dessertracer is offline Find More Posts by dessertracer
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:41 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I don't think stability would be a problem on the .32 size DD. The speed was awesome and right angle transitions from high speed were completely square. No idea about max wing loading but it hauled around the glow anchor and tank plus throttle servo with no effort.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
I had a Diamond Dust years ago, I have heard they quit making them and Moriss Hobbies is going to produce them (which is bad news since Morris is sorta flakey IMHO). I still have a NIB kit that I'll use if I want to scratch one out.

Not sure about making an electric one as fast as my glow one was, 22K RPM w/ 7.4x8.25 APC CF Q40 prop.

Mine, with an OS 46 VRDF
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:01 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Is that tank buried in the wing? The one I saw seemed too thin for the tank to recess like that. Small tank stuck out the top pretty good ways. It also had a single vertical with rudder. Might have been a bash job.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
I had to lower the tank since the rear intake engine has the carb so low in comparison to a front intake.

The deltas with the single vertical stab and rudder contol are likely the Jerry Smith Outlaw.

Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
guys, the Wildside rc team that flew the D Dust's went defunct and split sometime last year. I personally knew them and they were working on a composite version which never materialized past two versions from what I saw.Used to see the guys at the LHS but don't anymore.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I manufacture the SpeedWing Dart, which is a 20" delta with pull pull rudder system that is made specifically for electric. You can use a Johnson 250, up to a Mega 16/15/3 in the Dart. My personal setup is a MTM (JustGoFly) 400F motor, 3s 1320's and 5.5 x 4.5 APC prop. This setup pulls 17A static and has straight and level speeds of 100 m.p.h. One of my customers is using a Mega 16/15/3 with 4s batteries and he is flying at speeds in excess of 150 m.p.h. (way too fast for me).

So, if you are looking for a delta with rudder and is already made for electric, take a look at the SpeedWing Dart. Here's a video of a VERY mild setup using a 300DF motor pulling 10A (first real flight of the design)SpeedWing Dart Maiden

Here's the webpage with more info: http://www.speedwing.net/speedwing-dart-p-28.html

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
Joined May 2006
849 Posts
Guys,

Those little fast wings are fun to watch other people fly, but are a bear to fly yourself (too darn small). What are some of the biggest fast delta wings out there? Thanks.
dessertracer is offline Find More Posts by dessertracer
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
The deltas with the single vertical stab and rudder contol are likely the Jerry Smith Outlaw.
That is definitely the look of the stab but the rear of the delta was straight across and it clearly had Diamond Dust across one wing. Too bad about the DD not being kitted anymore.

Acer - I've definitely looked at your machine in the past and it would probably work well with my Speed Scream/race wind LS motor spinning a 4.75x4.75 on 2 cell. The flat spin/recovery capability of the DD was really impressive. Will the Dart pull that off?
Last edited by bildo baggins; Jun 25, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:42 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
There are no electrics in the big catagory that I am aware of. That is why I was looking at the DD. There are some blazing fast wings such as the CK wings but they come at a big battery/motor $$$
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
PM me and I will talk to Jeff Gilbert for you he is the owner of Diamond Dust RC owner of the Diamond Dust, Rippy, Diamond Back planes. He lives outside Gainesville, FL near FGMAC field. He has put production on the back burner for the moment but I can see about getting some kits that he still has in storage. I think I have mentioned him on here before he is the pilot in a couple RcWorks movies flying the Project X and Diablo 30". He has retired but he is and always will be the Diamond Dust Master. They by far the fastest wings I have ever seen. Whatever you have heard about the performance is more than likely true.

I don't think it would be cool of me to just throw out his phone number on here. He does not do the internet his wife does that for him but I am sure I can "you" in touch with him "who" wants to get a kit. They are limited at this time. He helps people locally with his kits and has a huge following here in Gainesville, FL. I bet there are hundreds still flying out there. This area is its common to have a Dust in your collection of wings.

Later,
DSS "Catahuladave"
catahuladave is offline Find More Posts by catahuladave
Last edited by catahuladave; Jun 25, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Tell him there is at least one that is interested. I would prefer an electric setup but if it has to be slimy I could do that too. If you do get him on the horn make sure and ask him about the single vertical and rudder version if ther eever was one. May have been a mod the guy here did. I'd ask him but never got his name etc.

Mac Hodges told me they were no longer in production and I guess he knows the guy personally the way he spoke of him.
Last edited by bildo baggins; Jun 25, 2007 at 05:55 PM.