SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2007, 01:39 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Got all my mods done and finished her up. Took her down to Bald Butte yesterday for a 4th of July maiden...and the wind just wasn't cooperating. The hill needs SW to NW and it was NNW if not N all afternoon. It was pretty hot yesterday and this can really stall the westerlies.

I got about 30 seconds of air time while scratching for lift in a strong, shearing crosswind, but it wasn't worth the worry so I put her down again. Seems to fly fine, but that's about all I know at this point. I waited a couple hours and then went home, it was real hard not tossing it when a gust seemed to come from the right direction, but prudence won the day.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:01 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
That looks great...nice flying site too! Any chance you can get a spare canopy to hack for your video gear?

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I'm just going to knock out a copy from EPP scrap and some carbon sheet inside to mount stuff to. It's not going to be as pretty as the stock canopy anyway, the low profile of the stock canopy isn't steep enough to provide a clear field of view past the nose.

Bald Butte is definitely a sweet site. It's even sweeter when the wind is actually cooperating..which is usually. Oh well one can get skunked anywhere. I should have gone to Greyback instead, which had light but steady W winds all day.
Old Jul 05, 2007, 09:26 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
Did ya sand down those bumps?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2007, 11:53 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
nope. didn't touch em. to heck with it. i wanted to fly. i can always go back and get them if i feel the need. which will probably occur the first time I take a big chunk out of one side and need to sand the repair
Old Jul 07, 2007, 07:39 AM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
Hmmm, still no source for a 55mm spinner...

On another tangent, can anyone with experience offer whether or not that the Cularis can be brought in for a landing within the same size "zone" as an Easy-glider?? Perhaps with a special flap setting for landing??

I have plans to bring mine on vacation - last year I flew an EasyGlider Electric and while it wasn't difficult, it was a bit tight (one shot at approach)
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
I haven't flown mine yet, but it has been my experience that a ship with big steep flaps will always outland a spoiler ship. They just land steeper and slower.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:18 AM
more time to fly !!!
Asti, Italy
Joined Apr 2004
340 Posts
I can confirm that.

Piero
Bad Attitude is offline Find More Posts by Bad Attitude
Old Jul 07, 2007, 11:51 AM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
526 Posts
Tower shipped my Multiplex power set Friday so they're in stock. ($139.99)
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:07 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Maidened the Cularis early this morning (next to no wind) and wow wow WOW!

Graceful as can be with nice climb out (built with recommended prop/Himax motor).

Previously the only glider I've only flown is the EZG so I'm still getting used to the tipstall speed (maybe more elevator in turns?) and using flaps effectively. Flaps extend to 45 deg however, I'm going to modify to get a full 90 deg as I've been chewing up lots of runway before touching down. I'll be scouring the other boards for landing tips as well.

It won't be long before I stick the the Pentax onboard !

PSF
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:54 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
You really must report back on the Spinner they shipped with the power set. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
Tower shipped my Multiplex power set Friday so they're in stock. ($139.99)
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
I can share from my experiences that full flaps takes some getting used to but well worth the effort. You will be able to point the nose well down and not pick up speed. you will also be able to fly a steep approach at a very slow speed and not stall--just keep the nose down.

Most ships will require a great deal of down elevator mixed into the flap stick to get a smooth transition. The Cularis should not be an exception to this.

Please let us know how it goes!

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Sound Flyer
Maidened the Cularis early this morning (next to no wind) and wow wow WOW!

Graceful as can be with nice climb out (built with recommended prop/Himax motor).

Previously the only glider I've only flown is the EZG so I'm still getting used to the tipstall speed (maybe more elevator in turns?) and using flaps effectively. Flaps extend to 45 deg however, I'm going to modify to get a full 90 deg as I've been chewing up lots of runway before touching down. I'll be scouring the other boards for landing tips as well.

It won't be long before I stick the the Pentax onboard !

PSF
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
Recieved my Cularis Power Set yesterday. The spinner is 54.43mm dia. The spacing of the blade pivots in the yoke is 60mm. The blade pivots are 3mm dia x 8mm wide.

..............Moose..............
OFFA 1 is offline Find More Posts by OFFA 1
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
PSFlyer:
The only safe cure I know of for tip stall is more airspeed. More up elevator will only make stalling worse.

.............Moose.........
OFFA 1 is offline Find More Posts by OFFA 1
Old Jul 08, 2007, 08:37 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmoose43
PSFlyer:
The only safe cure I know of for tip stall is more airspeed. More up elevator will only make stalling worse.
It helps reduce the tendency to tip stall if you add a little washout to the wing. Washout is where the TE of the wingtips are higher than the LE (this would be as you look from the tips to the wing root, the wing at the tip is slightly rotated in the direction of over the top of the wing toward the nose).

What this does is to reduce the angle of attack of the tip of the wing relative to the remainder of the wing. When the airspeed drops to where the rest of the wing is stalled, the tips are still producing lift. As long as the tips are lifting, the plane will stay level and won't spin - it will drop like a rock (sort of like lifting spoilers on the top of the wing). Of course, you can still stall and spin it if you are not paying attention or really push it by giving too much up elevator with not enough air speed, but washout gives you some safety margin.

There are two ways to add washout.
1. Put the wing flat on a table top with a spacer under the TE at the tip. Heat the top of wing as you push down from the center to LE . Or....
2. Grab the wing and twist it while you alternately heat the top and bottom. It helps if you use an oven/bar-b-que mitt so you don't burn your hand.

Hold it with the twist in it for a minute or so while the foam cools, or you can mist it with a spray bottle of water. Some of the twist will stay in the wing. Adjust both wing tips so the amount of twist is the same on both wingtips. The twist is only useful if it is over the last 15% or so of the root to tip distance, so don't try to do the whole TE.

Don't overdo it either. About 1/8" is plenty on most 1.5 - 3m planes. More just creates non-productive drag. Experiment and see what works best on your plane and with your skills/style.

I have a film covered glider with flat bottom Clark Y shaped wing. When it was new it would tip stall if it was not doing anything other than full speed. Not a fun plane to fly. After adding washout it is much more forgiving and relaxing. You do have to touch them up occasionally as the film will relax over time or after being left in a hot car or in the sun, and lose the twist.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher