HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2007, 11:13 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
JBL I'd use the better wire, with five servos running you want every volt at the far end of 4 extensions the shortest of which is 24" or so. Not a place to skimp for an ounce IMO, especially on a bird this size.

I used carbon fiber sheet to beef up my servo covers, my idea for using the cover to hold in the servos looks like it will work well.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2007, 11:58 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
I'd also go with 4 cells...can't have too much power, just too little. You can always do throttle management if you have the extra muscle under your thumb ;>)

Q
Well then should I go with this. It just really seemed like overkill though.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm
Looked at the 2826/12 but thought good heavens, I don't need to pull out stumps. But then again pulling stumps is fun.....
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 02, 2007, 01:06 AM
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Houston we have a problem. Will this glider be any fun on 6 channels??? I have an older JR 6 channel that has flaps but not a spoiler function. Is there a way to make it work using the gear switch as the spoiler switch. Or is there another option???? I never have flown a glider so had not crossed this bridge. Actually did not know the bridge existed or that it may need crossing.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I hate the way JR does it's mixes. I'm not sure you can pull it off but maybe someone else can speak to this, I jumped ship last summer and went to Airtronics..way easier mixing.

Anyway, wat you do is pick up an onboard mixer and just mix it on the plane. I'm using multiplex's small 2 V tail mixer in mine. This will allow you to do simpler mixing than fighting JR.

I am running the rudder by physically Y'ing it off from the ailerons, which frees up the rudder stick, and am using the rudder stick for proportional control of flap and reflex via the mixer. Moving the stick left all the way drops the flaps all the way, let go they center up, moving it right all the way gives me max reflex. I can't stand camber functions on switches, it's way too limiting.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 06:46 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Guys,
Just ordered an Axi 2820/10 for my Cularis. Still not got the kit in my hand as it is my 'local' shop which is near my other house. Just had a panicky thought, does an Axi fit in the nose with it's front mount leads?
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Jul 02, 2007, 07:25 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Don't panic, it's foam...of course it will fit! Did my 3102s all the way around fit? They do now!
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:46 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
So are you saying it DOESN'T fit and I'll have to cut the motor bulkhead and fuse? Seems a risky part of thje plane to be hacking away at.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:14 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
You're still panicking... I don't know if it will fit.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
Judging by the case dimensions, the AXI 2820 and 2826 are the same as the Himax 3522 that Multiplex Recommends.

..............Moose..................
OFFA 1 is offline Find More Posts by OFFA 1
Old Jul 03, 2007, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
33 Posts
I have Axi 2820/10 in my Cularis the engine fits perfectly in the place without any need of drilling new holes in firewall etc.
It flies marvellous with it starting right from the hand without need of throwing....
I tried Axi 2826/12 too but the engine is rather heavy for Cularis. And higher wattage is almost useless in my huble opinion with Cularis...
Surgical is offline Find More Posts by Surgical
Old Jul 03, 2007, 04:44 PM
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgical
I have Axi 2820/10 in my Cularis the engine fits perfectly in the place without any need of drilling new holes in firewall etc.
It flies marvellous with it starting right from the hand without need of throwing....
I tried Axi 2826/12 too but the engine is rather heavy for Cularis. And higher wattage is almost useless in my huble opinion with Cularis...
What ESC and batteries and prop did you use. I get that motor on Thursday and would like to get the other stuff but was hoping someone like you would post that you are using that motor. More info please!!!!!! Also does it climb as good, better, or worse than the himax powered Cularis in the Multiplex video??
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:02 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. Tonight I will sleep easy.
Old Jul 04, 2007, 03:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
33 Posts
Well, I use my Axi with Jeti Advance 70A Opto controller and 13/8 folding propeller (mean the propeller 11/7 would be enough especially if used not for climbing only the controller would not be heating at all and the powered time of flight should be much longer).
Rx and servos are feeded with obvious NiMh battery pack 1100 mAh, power battery LiPol 3350 mAh 3S1P 20C (fits in its bay without any space left).
Cularis is great plane....it could fly like a "foamie" if You wish and like the real hotliner too and thermaling is great too, yes, I did not try sloping yet but planning to try this, of course.
Surgical is offline Find More Posts by Surgical
Old Jul 04, 2007, 04:26 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
.... power battery LiPol 3350 mAh 3S1P 20C (fits in its bay without any space left).
Would two 3S1P 2100's fit if stacked one on the other?

I have lots of those for my other planes and have had great success in running them with a Y harness to make 3S2P packs for increased current ability. Investing in yet another size battery pack is not in the cards; I need to use what I already have.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 04, 2007, 05:11 PM
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
I can set 2 TP2100's in my fuse easy. Not sure if they are in the correct place or not but there is alot of room for batteries in this thing.