HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
If anyone knows where to find the correct spinner, please post it. I bought a 50mm from Hobby Lobby and it is just a bit undersized and leaves a step in the nose profile.
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
I did sand down those bumps on the EGE. I started with pretty aggressive stuff, like a sheet of 100 on foam backing made by Norton and found at Home Depot. I use it wet. I then use a finer grade of the same stuff wet to get a final surface, then rinse with water. To get rid of the fuzzies, I apply packing tape and rip it off a few times. The surface looks great with not that much effort. I will remove all bumps on the Cularis.

I like the idea of shooting white on the foam. On the EGE, I used Dayglo latex acrylic. I have "optic white" (not used on the EGE in the picture) which is a brilliant white like what premium detergent does for your sheets. Maybe I'll try that!

Incidentally, the trailing edge on my rudder is quite thick, a real drag-maker. I expect to re-contour the rudder and get that edge much thinner before I assemble it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson
HI Q,
I just used some 400 wet dry sandpaper on the rudder. Then I sprayed two light coats of the new Krylon H20 Latex, Artic White. Looks really nice!! It dries very fast! It's worth the effort if you want a nice looking finish. !!
Latex, Water Clean up!
Joe Pierson
Kerman Ca.
USA
Last edited by Quacker; Jun 27, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Very useful thread!
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Jun 25, 2007, 09:17 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
If you don't have a servo cycler, (you know those little gimmicks that can run your servos without a receiver and transmitter), you might consider one of these designed by frequent Ezoner Gary Warner:

http://www.york-electronics.com/

It makes setting up and adjusting stuff really simple and fast. I really find it useful for this type of plane.

Q
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:32 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
55mm Spinner?

I also would like to know where I can get a 55mm folding prop/spinner assy. Someone in another thread measured the included foam spinner and said it's pretty much 55mm. The largest folding prop/spinner setups I've seen are from Hobby Lobby and Esprit Model; Esprit has a 50mm which I might pick up if all else fails:

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3661

They also have different size collets to fit your particular motor shaft. Mine is an odd 4mm shaft so that makes things convenient.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:44 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
Hobby Lobby has 2 brands at 2.25" Thats .1 inch over the 55mm. With the info given, I can't tell if they can be adapted.

HLHS225 (cheap enough and *might* be adaptable)
HLFK52
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:59 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
Hobby Lobby has 2 brands at 2.25" Thats .1 inch over the 55mm. With the info given, I can't tell if they can be adapted.

HLHS225 (cheap enough and *might* be adaptable)
HLFK52
Problem is those are for fixed props, not folders. A folding prop system is needed since this is a sailplane. Hobby-Lobby has a 50mm system by AeroNaut/Freudenthaler:

http://hobby-lobby.com/freuden.htm

The system from EspritModel:

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3661

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3539

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3242

Unless someone can find a 55mm spinner/folder setup I'll go with one of the above. I think I'd rather it be a bit undersize than oversize.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:13 AM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
The 50 you mention is the one I got and it is a bit small. I wonder about hacking the HLHS225. The picture seems to imply that it is split fore and aft. If so then there is hope. I just can't order $5 worth of stuff.

If anyone else is ordering from HL, perhaps they would order 2 of these for me and send them to me. I'd paypal.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 02:54 PM
Shepherdstown, WV
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a cularis. Does anyone know how aMultiplex Permax BL-480/4G motor might work in terms of fitting in the nose? This is the this is the one with the 4.4 gearbox. I have this motor and am trying to decide if I want to put it in an easy glider or a cularis... or neither I guess.

any thoughts?
lcoggins is offline Find More Posts by lcoggins
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Hogged out the wing servo spots to accept Futaba 3102's last night. Also cut through on one side of the servo wire tunnels so they can be flipped open from the outside for wiring access. I hate permanent installs where it's tough to do any maintainance.

Finished gluing together spars and spar cover on one wing. The wing jig works great. There is so much foam and structure to the wing it seems as if opening the wiring tunnels to the outside takes away little or no structural strength.

There is so much surface area it took quite a bit of glue. I bought the large 2oz bottle of CA yesterday and it's already half gone just doing one wing, so I'm headed back to the hobby store for another bottle today.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:21 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
Did your openings affect the torsional strength?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Not that I can tell. I cut all the way through the tunnel to the surface on one side, and scored halfway through on the other for a hinge. I just used the existing edge on the inside as a guide.

So now it opens like a very long hatch with the hinge on the LE side, tuck the wires in, then closes again. I'll run a strip of tape over it to seal it. Should work fine I think. I did a similar trick on my Twinstar, I hate wires you cannot get to.

I am also creating an small access hatch at the rear of the fuselage so I can get to the elevator bellcrank area, I don't trust not being able to work with that if I need to.

I may also add a ballast tube in the battery cavity under the wing saddle, and lay wiring back to the rudder for my video transmitter. I'm planning on keeping the rudder removable and I intend to order a rudder to do a nice video TX install inside it. I'll take the small balance penalty on such a large plane in order to get the video TX out away from the rest of the radio gear, this will improve the antenna pattern.
Last edited by MtnGoat; Jun 27, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
Great! This is just the sort of post I'd like to see more of. Do you have any pics?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
No pics. I suppose I should figure out how to work that secondhand digital camera I picked up a couple months ago.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
Sweet!
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
My rudder trailing edge was 3/16" thick. I don't know if everyone else's is that thick or not. How thick is yours? I drew a line down the middle of the T.E. with a fine tip marker and braved using my (believe it or not) bench top belt sander! Yup. Gently, a little at a time, I honed the entire rudder until the T.E. was 1/32" thick. Then I finished with finer paper and removed the marker with alcohol. Ahhhh! I feel much better now!
Last edited by Quacker; Jun 28, 2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added Pictures