HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:08 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Discussion
wild hawk/easy star CG

Hello I am almost ready to try to fly my Wild Hawk Plane again .. I have maybe 1 minnute flight time on it and had crashed so bad the last time that I had to replace the wings and the fuselege .

I am trying to balance the plane and do'nt know Really know what the balance point is .. I am guessing 3 inches back from the wings leading edge. If you have any better idea as to what the right spec. is please let me know

Thank you , Don J.
realllybeginner is offline Find More Posts by realllybeginner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
3" sounds excessive. It should be about 1/3 of the wing width back from the leading edge.

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:13 AM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Hello , I guess maybe it is a little much but the wing is 8 inches wide . Also From all I have read the easy star is set at 3 inches and the wild hawk is pretty much a copy of it ..

So what is the problems to look out for if it is too far back and also what about the other way if it is to far forward .. What should I be looking for there ??
Please ... Any help here will be really appreciated .. I want to get this thing in the air but I will try anything to see it STAY in the air.. Thanks Again , Don J.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:47 AM
Is it SEFF yet?
Florence, AL
Joined Jun 2006
862 Posts
I don't have a clue how the Wild Hawk differs, but roughly 3" is what the manual shows for the Easy Star.
reg3 is offline Find More Posts by reg3
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Is this your FIRST attempts at flying an R/C ariplane? If so, you might simply be overcontrolling it, a VERY common mistake for new pilots.

Is the battery getting a good full charge? The pack should be warm after charging and this is when you will have the best power.

The "EasyStar" is rather forgiving of CG placement, so unless your CG is WAY off, the WildHawk should be similar.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Thanks for the reply .. I think you might have hit it pretty much on the nose . I am new .. Real new... And the first time and second etc etc I flew in pretty strong wind ... Now I am getting ready to try again after replacing the wings and fusealedge .. So the real problem is probabally me .. I have to learn to fly .. I will not go in the wind this time .. I did want to check the CG however .. It can't hurt anything .. Thanks for the help to everyone ... Don J.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2009
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realllybeginner
Thanks for the reply .. I think you might have hit it pretty much on the nose . I am new .. Real new... And the first time and second etc etc I flew in pretty strong wind ... Now I am getting ready to try again after replacing the wings and fusealedge .. So the real problem is probabally me .. I have to learn to fly .. I will not go in the wind this time .. I did want to check the CG however .. It can't hurt anything .. Thanks for the help to everyone ... Don J.
On my Wild hawk I was a real idiot. I flew it for the first 5 flights with the prop on backwards. When I turned it around its power increased by like 3 times.
sebsmash is offline Find More Posts by sebsmash
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realllybeginner
A new pilot flying in any kind of wind is just asking for a trashed plane. Limit your flying to calm (0 wind or close) days until you are comfortable with the plane.

I'm not sure of the CG for the Wild Hawk, but you are better off having the CG too far forward than too far backward, so if in doubt, move it forward a bit.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:30 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The thread is over 2 years old, i'm sure they're resolved it

BTW, the CG for the Easy Star/clones lies just behind the carbon spar, about 1/4". You can see the cover for it on the bottom, on the TE of that cover is where the balance is
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:23 PM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Hate it when that happens...

It came up under my list of recent threads and I didn't bother looking at the dates of the posts. Ah well...
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
16 Posts
no surprise

As far as I can tell the Wild hawk is a complete ripoff...I have owned the Horizon Super Cub and Mini Super Cub == both easily flown. But this is an absurdly unflyable, uncontrollable piece of garbage. Ripoff city!!!
Rockfish8 is offline Find More Posts by Rockfish8