HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
BOTH of my seawinds have/had an elevator glitch when closing the throttle... Nose pitchs up violently, can happen once or twice or not at all... Electrifly 25 amp esc... electron 6 rx and the rimfire 950 motor... No water intrusion.... Very strange that even the new one does this.. anyone else?
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:51 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
AKFLYER, Glad you like your new Seawind. High speed taxi turns on purpose - now that's turning lemons into lemonade.

TIC, That's the first I've heard of that problem. Is the brake function enabled on your ESC? If the prop brake were actuated, that could cause a pitch change to occur.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:17 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Yes, I have the brake enabled but it's not a pitch change based on power on/off.. it's a definite elevator glitch.. Almost always a very sharp pitch up when throttle is closed, sometimes more than one glitch, not always when the power is first taken off, sometimes a few seconds go by before it happens.. Very annoying as it happens when I'm trying to land... It will glitch more than once sometimes AFTER the throttle is closed and HAS been closed.. It hasn't caused a crash yet... It does this on two different tx's as well.. Two different rx's and two different tx's.. very strange.. If I keep the power on VERY low instead of "off" it won't glitch. I wonder if it's a problem with the electrifly 25 amp esc?... Funny though, this is also the second ESC of the same brand/type. It's also the second airframe.... Nothing is binding with the linkage and it does NOT glitch in normal flight, only when throttle is closed... I'm stumped.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Sounds like you've tried almost everything else. Why not try disabling the brake function for a couple of flights and see if it helps. My only theory goes like this - to stop the prop, the ESC shorts the motor windings turning the motor into a generator until the prop stops turning. The ESC "should" prevent the spikes from this process from feeding back into the ESC and RX circuits. Maybe, instead of a pitch change due to reduced thrust, you are seeing an elevator glitch due to ESC spikes.

Try it, it might work.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akflyer
I dont have any issues with takeoffs and have fun running it around onthe water at moderate to high speeds and steering withthe ailerons. you can hook the tip float and turn real tight, but with opposite aileron you come right out of it. I did about 5 minutes of solid water play and did not get any water inside.

you are right that they hit on a winner with this one. It looks as good in the air as it flys!
Oh, I agree,...doing it on purpose for fun is indeed great fun. I do that will all my tip float flying boats....fun to see how close ytou can come to a perfect figure 8 on the water and how sharp of a u-turn you can do...

BUT...it is still a design flaw to have the tip floats so close to the water when the aircraft is on the step. When the water is rougher than a flat calm, the chances of catching a tip float by accident are greatly increased. Some people are having takeoff issues and this WILL help.

This pic of a Lake shows the type of clearance a seaplane should have from the water surface to the tip float when the aircraft is running on the step.

Not much to complain about on the little Seawind..it is indeed a winner.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:25 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
to stop the prop, the ESC shorts the motor windings turning the motor into a generator until the prop stops turning. The ESC "should" prevent the spikes from this process from feeding back into the ESC and RX circuits. Maybe, instead of a pitch change due to reduced thrust, you are seeing an elevator glitch due to ESC spikes.

Mike McD
I'll definety try it.. and surprised I didn't think of it!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Dang!.. Sure enough, I disabled the brake and no more elevator glitch on power off!..... Very odd.... I liked having the brake on for a longer glide power off but not at the expensive of elevator glitching!.. Thanks for the tip kingsflyer.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
If the weather cooperates I will get some good vids of it next time home.. I agree, the tips should be shorter, but on the other hand, this is not intended for beginers. If you have full control of both thumbs and are proficient in using them then the wing tips, in stock form, are not a problem.
akflyer is offline Find More Posts by akflyer
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:00 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
932 Posts
Kingsflyer,
Can I assume you are still satisfied with the AR6100 receiver you installed in your review Seawind? I am thinking of using that receiver also. Normally would use a AR6000 but none on hand and the AR7000 is just too big.

Thanks,
Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:38 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Joe,

I like the AR6100's smaller size, lighter weight, and shorter antennas. They're just easier to install and lighter to fly.

I'm so satisfied that I just bought 10 more from Todd's Models.
http://www.toddsmodels.com/
Check out the receivers link on the left side of the page.

I like the AR6000s too, but they won't work with the new Spektrum module in my Futaba 9CAP. The AR6100s work great with my DX7 and my "Spektrumized" Futaba. I treated the 6100 in the Seawind with Corrosion-X and haven't had a nano-seconds trouble. The little Seawind stays amazingly dry considering some of my wild splash and go antics, but the Corrosion-X is still a good idea.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
932 Posts
Mike,
Thanks for the info.
I use a DX7 and my only concern was the shorter range with the AR6100. I fly my Aquastar with a AR6100 and no issues. I have had great luck with the AR6000s as I started with a DX6 when they came out. This is my 15th plane configured on the DX7. I'm sold! I have bought from Todd's also in addition to http://www.lightflightrc.com.

I have it all configured now with a AR6100 so just have to "dip" it in Corrosion-X.

On the subject of CG - mine at the moment seems tail heavy with the TP1320PL in the nose and AUW of 20.4 ozs -you say
"Moving the CG to the CF wing spar location, really livened up the flight performance of the Seawind. Rolls were more axial and snaps were easy to enter."

I hate to add weight to balance if it flys well with the CG at the spar. I have 6 other seaplanes (Seamaster - Bonnie 20 - Aquastar - Aventura Twin - Nexstar - Drake II) flying so I'm not inexperienced but I don't want my knees knocking all the time either. Honest opinion??

Thanks for a great review and your updates.

Joe
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:31 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Yes, I have the brake enabled but it's not a pitch change based on power on/off.. it's a definite elevator glitch.. Almost always a very sharp pitch up when throttle is closed, sometimes more than one glitch, not always when the power is first taken off, sometimes a few seconds go by before it happens.. Very annoying as it happens when I'm trying to land... It will glitch more than once sometimes AFTER the throttle is closed and HAS been closed.. It hasn't caused a crash yet... It does this on two different tx's as well.. Two different rx's and two different tx's.. very strange.. If I keep the power on VERY low instead of "off" it won't glitch. I wonder if it's a problem with the electrifly 25 amp esc?... Funny though, this is also the second ESC of the same brand/type. It's also the second airframe.... Nothing is binding with the linkage and it does NOT glitch in normal flight, only when throttle is closed... I'm stumped.

Hi, Tic-I had this problem with an EV-97 and never solved it UNTIL I went to a Spektrum radio-I'm not advocating the same for you, just saying that I thought I changed everything, including servos, and never solved it.
Dave Matison is offline Find More Posts by Dave Matison
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Joe,
I like to wring out my planes when I fly, but I don't like planes that snap at the drop of a hat. With the CG at the spar, the only time the Seawind felt like it was getting close to snapping was on elevator high rate, inverted, slow, when I applied full down elevator. It dipped a wing and rolled upright. I still felt like I had full control when the plane reached upright and I flew on straight ahead.

Here's an idea. If you're uneasy, try adding a little weight so the CG is 1/4" ahead of the spar. Put the weight next to the battery as far forward as possible. Fly the Seawind and see how it feels. Fly it upright and inverted and see how much down elevator you need for level flight. Then remove the weight and fly it again. See how much down it takes for inverted flight this time. Get it up high and spin it - upright and inverted. It will stop spinning as soon as you neutralize the sticks, just leave enough room to pull out.

After this, you should be able to pick which CG better suits your style of flying.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
932 Posts
Mike,
Sounds like a good idea so I will go with it.
Thanks,
Joe
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
Tic: With the motor aft and above the CG that type of craft will have pitch problems with changing power. I used to fly all types of full scale plane similar to the seawind configuration. If the water was calm and it did not want to get off I would pull back on the power and it would leap into the air and then add power again.With the motor/thrust line above the CG the thrust wants to push the nose down.Cant get away from it.Hope this helps Captn Don
Captn Don is offline Find More Posts by Captn Don