HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,825 Posts
I used a Rimfire 50-55-500kV in my E-Coversion of the 71" Great Planes Seawind. That's a bigger motor than the E-Flite 46 and it never even budged the pylon under full power.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660997

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matison
Sorry, Mike, that was for Seattle Mike! But, thanks for the quick comments. I guess I'll break down and get one!
I have flown it from grass. Lots of fun. Easy to take off from short dry grass. Less so from the taller, greener patches.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:01 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Guys,
I checked with Charlie, his foam Seawind has an AXI 2808/20, a 2 blade APC-E 8x6 and a 3s2200mah lipo. NOT an "E-Flite 46" like I thought.
The AXI is very powerful for this plane. Yes the motor mount does flex downward. The plane is foam not like its big brother so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?????
Hope this clears things up?
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:07 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Excellent job Mike, I really enjoyed this one. It looks like you had a ball with it. And kudos to your videographer(s)!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Sep 19, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:35 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjiskra
Guys,
I checked with Charlie, his foam Seawind has an AXI 2808/20, a 2 blade APC-E 8x6 and a 3s2200mah lipo. NOT an "E-Flite 46" like I thought.
The AXI is very powerful for this plane. Yes the motor mount does flex downward. The plane is foam not like its big brother so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?????
Hope this clears things up?
Don
I saw one with a flex problem this weekend. The pod flexed itself in half, as it broke the prop caught the fuse an just about sliced it in two.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Sep 19, 2007, 08:29 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,825 Posts
Thanks Ronnie. It was my wife's 1st time to video one of my planes. I was a little concerned that the early morning back light and late evening sky would be a problem, but it worked out all right.

This little Seawind is a blast to fly. I take it to the field most mornings and fly it off the grass next to the runway. The inverted spins have to be seen to be believed! When you push the sticks into the corners, it just tumbles until it starts to spin. Some of our club members what one to just fly off land because it looks so cool and flies so well. You NEED one of these!

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
629 Posts
Mike - Great review, loved the videos. The audio on the 4th video is actually very relaxing, as odd a compliment as that may be.... Looks like a very nice place to fly, too!
JustinG is online now Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Kingsflyer; I'm surprised you haven't been bit yet... As you know, I destroyed my first one on an outside loop started from too low .. I also had to swim for it once after it flipped upside down after catching a wingtip at near liftoff speed doing stupid fast takeoffs.. Nose cowl came off but no damage other than a good soaking. I agree it's a really fun plane but I'm being more careful with my second one. I'm using tanic 3S 1500mah pack and no nose weight is needed. Corrosion X on/in everything and no extra sealing done.. It stays pretty dry... Be careful if you take this on on your boats guys.. I took mine out on our FourWinns bowrider on a 90 degree day and the blue paint came off onto the vinyl seats in the boat.. The paint will come off on your hands too.. Wonder if clear coating it would be a good option?
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:18 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,825 Posts
TIC, you are my inspiration. I think about your mishaps when I want to get really wild and crazy with the Seawind. I back off just a little bit and haven't had any problems to date. I've throttled up too fast when I was too low and come close to noseing over and I've given it too much down when I was inverted and too slow and snapped it, but so far I've been high enough to recover each time. This little plane is just so much fun to fly that it begs to be flown to the limits. I was thinking of putting together a "Blooper" video from some of the unused footage I've got to show how well the Seawind survives when the pilot says "OOPS".

As for the clear coating, I would think that some form of Polyurethane would be safe for the foam and should seal the paint. Better practice on an old foam ice chest, or on a leftover piece of Seawind #1, just to be sure before you spray your new Seawind.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Sep 20, 2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:04 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I watched all your vids Kingsflyer... Some of your take-offs are dangerously close to catastrophe.... Very impressive to watch but if you dig a wingfloat in hard at highspeed it WILL flip the plane in the water.... Also as you know, spins, inverted and outside loops all carry a high "F__K up factor"
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,825 Posts
I've actually found that, with the Mini Seawind, digging in a wingtip is not as bad as you make it sound. Yes you make a fairly abrupt turn in the direction of the dragged tip, but I've yet to flip the plane on takeoff no matter how fast I was going when a tip touched. I think holding full up must trap some ground effect air under the wings and help keep the tip floats out of the water.

In the videos I was trying to show more than 1 takeoff and 1 landing like in so many other videos I've seen on "other" sites. I was hoping to let the viewer see that even when everything is not exactly right, this plane still makes acceptable takeoffs and landings.

As for inverted flying, low inverted passes and outside maneuvers are what keeps life exciting.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:38 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Probably true... Not sure if I had full up elevator or not on my flip (probably not)... full up elevator for all water handling seems to be the best way to go on this plane..
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
58 Posts
I have to agree with Mike, the Seawind EP is not bad at all taking off water. The wing tip dig in only causes the model to swerve in the direction of the tip that hits the water. I have done lots of high speed taxis after I flew for the 15 minutes on the pack. It didnt have enough for takeoff but would go plenty fast on the step. Just a delightful little airplane. Great Planes sure has a hit with this one. Mine has a Team Orion Avionics Wind MN brushless 930 Kv motor and I'm using a CommonsenseRC 1250 3s Lipo thats only a 10c discharge. I have a WOW 30 amp ESC and a APC 8x6 Electric prop. Plenty of power and is fairly fast. havent had the opertunity to check AMP draw but the pack doesnt even get warm.

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Last edited by jmupilot; Sep 21, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,213 Posts
I flew my little foam Seawind today at a local float fly and I have the cure for the occasional "excursions" during the take off run.

A basic tenant of flying boat design is that the tip floats should be well clear of the water when running up to takeoff speed while the aircaft is on the "step". This avoids the dreaded "waterloop" on takeoff and landing.

For some reason Electrifly made the tip floats much deeper than scale and there is no clearance to speak of (a tiny fraction of an inch) from the tip floats to the water as the model nears take off speed.

I trimmed off my tip floats at a slight angle, starting at 3/16" above the rear bottom tip of the tipfloat, angling up and forward to about 3/8" above the thickest part of the bottom of the tipfloat, which is around where the front of the tip float curves up.

I left mine flat bottomed. This helps make the float glance off the water rather than dig into the water, should it touch.

The improvement is amazing....the model nearly flys itself off the water. After holding some up at the beginning of the run, you can now let the model gently ROW in a more scale like fashion.

I did dork mine a bit when distracted during a landing approach...I must have shipped some water, as the BEX or RX quit in the first turn after the next takeoff.... : The model dove in from about 70 feet at low power in a right hand spiral dive and all that happened was that the canopy popped off....no other damage at all.

My bad for not better protecting the ESC or RX from a dunk....it will be protected for next time...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 22, 2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:44 PM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
I picked up a kit and used a corona RX, Bluebird 373 servos and BP 21 outrunner with BP 10amp SC. Balanced fine using etec 1200 HP and flys GREAT. Plenty of power and the motor and SC are under 30 bucks. I dont have any issues with takeoffs and have fun running it around onthe water at moderate to high speeds and steering withthe ailerons. you can hook the tip float and turn real tight, but with opposite aileron you come right out of it. I did about 5 minutes of solid water play and did not get any water inside.

you are right that they hit on a winner with this one. It looks as good in the air as it flys!
akflyer is offline Find More Posts by akflyer