SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:38 AM
Joined Jun 2007
20 Posts
Sorry for late reply..

We used this camera..

http://www.mimovrste.com/artikel/136...gston-sdhc-4gb

It's no problem for my seawind to take off.. My Scorpion is strong enough to take it to the vertical..

BR Aleksander
Ditrich is offline Find More Posts by Ditrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:40 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2004
29 Posts
I'm considering getting a Seawind for flying off the large pond at the local park, but (as is usual for my cramped flying space), I'm a little concerned about how well the Seawind flies in small spaces. The area around the pond is roughly 2.5 times the size of a baseball field, with the pond filling most of that space. How well will the Seawind handle that size of space? It looks like it can go pretty fast, but can it go slow, too?
kuroutadori is offline Find More Posts by kuroutadori
Old Oct 02, 2009, 01:37 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,154 Posts
While the Seawind can fly fairly slow, it's not as much fun as it is at full speed. Your flying area seems a bit small unless you are a pretty good flyer.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:29 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2004
29 Posts
While I have been flying quite a while, the flying area is perfectly fine for anything that flies slow.

I do also have access to a much larger flying area, but it's a car drive away, while the local pond is a "I feel like flying this hour"'s distance walk away. So I prefer planes I can fit in the local park when possible.

Can you recommend any good ARF seaplanes that would fit in that flying space? I'd love a 4-channel Beaver floats, but there don't seem to be any nice-looking ones on the market at a reasonable cost... I might have to just get the Seawind anyway and limit the really fun flying to when I have time to go to the larger space.
kuroutadori is offline Find More Posts by kuroutadori
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
314 Posts
Seawind EP RXR IS AMAZING!

Ok. I have many RC planes, 95% of them from HorizonHobby brands. And I LOVE all of them. I got a super cub LP with floats, and also added floats to my P-51D... Well, basically I got addicted to water flying, and I kept looking for more planes to add floats too... I wanted to stay within HorizonHobby's brands, but when I saw the GreatPlanes Seawind EP I had to try it out! First off, this plane, in the RXR version, goes together(for me) in about 30minutes. The only 'tool' I used other than what came in the box, was a ruler, screwdriver, and foam safe CA(the manual states you should use epoxy and other things..) I just used foam safe CA and also taped on the horizontal Stab/ Vertial Stab tip. I have flown many times, they are stuck on there just fine! I use a Parkzone 1300MaH and also a 1800MaH battery. The 1800 is a little heavier(~40g heavier) but flight is almost the exact same. This thing flies like my PZ P-51D BL! Super smooth, feels like you are flying on rails! Super responsive, flies inverted like a dream, rolls are super quick and easy, inside and outside loops are handled without a problem! I attached my Maiden flight to this. It isn't the best landing... This is my first landing with this plane, and let me say, compaired to my other 'float' planes - which have a LOT of drag from the floats and slow down easy for a landing - this plane is like a dart, and glides fast for a LONG time! So be sure to give yourself plenty of space to land, and slow yourself down by using some up-elevator way before you need to land(not enough to stall you, just to slow you down)... then get very close to the water, and it will glide in super nice.

Great Planes Seawind EP RXR MAIDEN FLIGHT! (3 min 3 sec)

On a side note, I am using 1300mAh lipos with 20C... But I am also using 1800mAh with 12C continuous(17C burst) and 2200mAh with 12C continuous(17C burst)... All batteries fly about the same. I have no problem with loops, rools, anything with my 2200mAH. The 1300mAh is a good deal lighter, so takeoffs can be a little faster(less space)... but the 2200mAh has no problem, and since this plane tracks through the water so straight, it is great to use a 2200mAh as my flight times have been up to 20minutes with average of 70% throttle - and I've never actually had a battery 'cut-off'. I don't want to kill my lipos so I always set a conservative time. My 1300mAh I set for 10minutes and never have a problem with that either.
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Last edited by earthling1984; Apr 06, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:26 AM
You torquing to me?
Vancouver, WA
Joined Mar 2010
610 Posts
were did you buy yours and for how much? I have only been able to find the ARF versions.
slyfoxflyer66 is offline Find More Posts by slyfoxflyer66
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling1984 View Post
Ok. I have many RC planes, 95% of them from HorizonHobby brands. And I LOVE all of them. I got a super cub LP with floats, and also added floats to my P-51D... Well, basically I got addicted to water flying, and I kept looking for more planes to add floats too... I wanted to stay within HorizonHobby's brands, but when I saw the GreatPlanes Seawind EP I had to try it out! First off, this plane, in the RXR version, goes together(for me) in about 30minutes. The only 'tool' I used other than what came in the box, was a ruler, screwdriver, and foam safe CA(the manual states you should use epoxy and other things..) I just used foam safe CA and also taped on the horizontal Stab/ Vertial Stab tip. I have flown many times, they are stuck on there just fine! I use a Parkzone 1300MaH and also a 1800MaH battery. The 1800 is a little heavier(~40g heavier) but flight is almost the exact same. This thing flies like my PZ P-51D BL! Super smooth, feels like you are flying on rails! Super responsive, flies inverted like a dream, rolls are super quick and easy, inside and outside loops are handled without a problem! I attached my Maiden flight to this. It isn't the best landing... This is my first landing with this plane, and let me say, compaired to my other 'float' planes - which have a LOT of drag from the floats and slow down easy for a landing - this plane is like a dart, and glides fast for a LONG time! So be sure to give yourself plenty of space to land, and slow yourself down by using some up-elevator way before you need to land(not enough to stall you, just to slow you down)... then get very close to the water, and it will glide in super nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-THmvw51BQ

On a side note, I am using 1300mAh lipos with 20C... But I am also using 1800mAh with 12C continuous(17C burst) and 2200mAh with 12C continuous(17C burst)... All batteries fly about the same. I have no problem with loops, rools, anything with my 2200mAH. The 1300mAh is a good deal lighter, so takeoffs can be a little faster(less space)... but the 2200mAh has no problem, and since this plane tracks through the water so straight, it is great to use a 2200mAh as my flight times have been up to 20minutes with average of 70% throttle - and I've never actually had a battery 'cut-off'. I don't want to kill my lipos so I always set a conservative time. My 1300mAh I set for 10minutes and never have a problem with that either.
nice vid.. my wife bought me one for my birthday, it's the arf but i have everything i need to get her up in the air. now if i could find were she hid it.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Old May 26, 2010, 11:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
finished and maidened the seawind a couple of weeks ago. it's silly fun what a great little model. i have the pby as well and the seawind is the perfect hangar mate for it. way less work to waterproof then the pby.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Old May 30, 2010, 02:09 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1 Posts
Finished my seawind, float tested in the pool today. Can't wait to maiden it!
skinndog is offline Find More Posts by skinndog
Last edited by skinndog; May 30, 2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Can't view pic
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined Jun 2007
20 Posts
Hi..

This is my latest video, from the Seawind... Camera - Go-pro.. I recomend HD video.

cerkljepanorama.mov (6 min 2 sec)

BR Aleksander
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:54 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,154 Posts
Nice video! I didn't notice very much (any!) water around your flying site though. Not sure what the "Shorter grass" was where you were standing. If it's corn stubble, then I understand why you landed in the tall corn. Now you are ready for some short grass and then some water!
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
North Bend, Oregon
Joined Jun 2004
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditrich View Post
Hi..

This is my latest video, from the Seawind... Camera - Go-pro.. I recomend HD video.

BR Aleksander
Great Video! What type of mount did you use for the Go-Pro?
OregonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OregonFlyer
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Nice video! I didn't notice very much (any!) water around your flying site though. Not sure what the "Shorter grass" was where you were standing. If it's corn stubble, then I understand why you landed in the tall corn. Now you are ready for some short grass and then some water!
McD
Hi King.. It's not problem the water or grass, it's the camera. I mounted the camera on the bottom of the seawind, and if I would try to land on the grass the camera would couse some damage to the plane.. So the best way to land was the corn field..

Oregon> Some silver tape, and that's it.. You just need it to tape it in the middle of the wing and voulaaaaaa....

BR Aleksander
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:04 AM
United States, ME, Presque Isle
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Hi Mike Not sure how to reply to posts but here goes. I am assembleying a seawind Ultimate combo I purchased from Tower. The ? is they sent me 2 ts11 servos which are too big to fit in the tray. The sent one S3114 for the aileron servo. This servo fits everywhere. Should I get two more of those or gouge out the foam and cut out the plywood so the ts 11s will fit. Thanks elmo
rsteev is offline Find More Posts by rsteev
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,154 Posts
I use the 3114s all the way around and they work great!

McD
RCG Plus Member