HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2008, 01:44 PM
Brit in Bahrain
Bahrain
Joined Mar 2004
610 Posts
Ah, now I see.....you mean there are a few degrees of dihedral (wing tips raised) on the original.

Dihedral would give you more "self righting" ability - you probally wouldn't need more than 3 degrees - 5 degrees maximum, if you are building to scale and need the stability....Peter's design uses NIL dihedral - that way you get a "keeps going in the last direction you put it in" type plane which means that you really can't take your eyes off it whilst flying !

If you need the stability, plus slow flying you might want to use Rab's method of 2 sevos on the ailerons so that you can also use them as flaps to change the wing camber (curve) and slow down but still keep control.

Take care,

Nigel
Nigelp is offline Find More Posts by Nigelp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
857 Posts
Hi

It finished and ready for first flying.
640grams including 2100mAh lipo.
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
857 Posts
Hi

After about 12 flights I gave this plane to a girl in our flying range that she said likes my plane.
Now I plan to make another one a bit more scale but still using same plan with smal changes.
I will cut the wings out of fome with airfoile and make movements area on wing and tail smaller.
Wish finish it soon and send some photo.

Habib
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:25 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
So any of you guys still flying your Se5a? I'm currently working on mine and I'm to the stage of installing servos and need to decide on best CG placement. Of the three locations NigelP listed which one do find yourself using most; 25%, 30, or 33%? My build balances great at the 30% mark and gives me the most range of battery placement, but I'm afraid this CG location will end up being to tail heavy. For 25% to work for me I have to place the servos in the battery compartment and use a heavier battery in order to have it just a touch nose heavy for maiden.
turt1e_b is offline Find More Posts by turt1e_b
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:55 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,912 Posts
hummmm, might have to build one...
CA'ed fingers is offline Find More Posts by CA'ed fingers
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:24 PM
Oak Ridge, TN
Joined Jun 2002
391 Posts
Quote:
So any of you guys still flying your Se5a? I'm currently working on mine and I'm to the stage of installing servos and need to decide on best CG placement. Of the three locations NigelP listed which one do find yourself using most; 25%, 30, or 33%?
I'm still enjoying flying mine. I'm not sure of the CG, but it's a bit aft of what was called for on the plans (85 mm =3.3 inches from leading edge of top wing) I received. So, I guess my CG is further back than 33%, and it flies great.
bubbafusion is offline Find More Posts by bubbafusion
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:46 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
I fly mine often, I am happy with it. - Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Apr 01, 2008, 06:55 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
I fly mine often, I am happy with it. - Allen
What Center of Gravity location do you fly with most often. Have you tried the three different location provided by NigelP?
Old Apr 01, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbafusion
I'm still enjoying flying mine. I'm not sure of the CG, but it's a bit aft of what was called for on the plans (85 mm =3.3 inches from leading edge of top wing) I received. So, I guess my CG is further back than 33%, and it flies great.
Thanks bubafusion, that's good to know. I've made some slight changes in the build and didn't think things through completely before building up the fuselage. Because of that, putting the servos in the battery compartment would have been a pain. I think I'll go with them in the tail section and hope for the best.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 09:54 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
I think my CG is about 3 inches or a bit more back from the leading edge of the top wing. I figured I had the CG and the down thrust about right when inverted flight did not need input to remain level.

- Allen
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:17 AM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
I think my CG is about 3 inches or a bit more back from the leading edge of the top wing. I figured I had the CG and the down thrust about right when inverted flight did not need input to remain level.

- Allen
Thanks Rab. Your CG seems to match what bubbafusion is using which is good news for me. 3 inches seems to give me a wider range of battery placement.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 06:10 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
Yes, and so long as your plane is as light as or lighter than the spec's I don't think it is too sensitive about CG. - Allen
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:54 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Well, I maidened mine today and it flew nicely. Below are the specs for mine.

Reciever - AR6000 (Using a DX6)
Motor - Eflite Park 450
Prop - APC 11x4.3 SF
ESC - Phoenix 25
Battery - 3S TP 1320
Weight - 15.5 oz without battery and 18.7 oz w/tp1320

First flight I lowered the flaps (using flaperons) and it took off nice and scale like as I slowly eased the throttle forward. I'd say it took off at around 1/4 throttle with the flaps set to about 15 degrees. Once I had some altitude I started trimming. It needed about 6 clicks of right aileron and about the same of right rudder to get it flying level. On slow ailerons turns I noticed a tendency for the tail to start draging and the left wing to drop suddenly. I have a bit of a downward warp to the top left wingtip, so I'm wondering if that might be causing a tip stall. Not sure on the tail dragging though. It's almost as if it's flying tail heavy when turning slow. Inverted flight takes just a touch of down elevator and it rolls nicely. Even tried to see if I could get it to hover on it's prop, but I think I need more motor for that. Or maybe try some different props. This is my first Bi-plane so it's going to take a few more flights to get used to it.

Below are some pictures of it. I made a few modifications from what the plans called for Still need to add a few things to finish it up. Side decals, cover for the front, cockpit trim, exhaust pipe and manifold, and maybe even a gun and pilot. I wanted a different color scheme than the usual solid green and came across this one on the web. It was on a model so not sure it's authentic, but seems to look period correct.

I've got a movie uploading now and will post a link to it when it's finished. Thanks guys for answering my questions on the CG, and a big thanks to Pmjass for making the plans available and NigelP for starting this thread.

Paul
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:20 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Wow,
that looks great. Glad the maiden went well.

I had often looked at the sprung suspension aircraft like this had and thought it was a good simple idea. You have done a great job "scaling" the idea.

Peter
pmjass is offline Find More Posts by pmjass
Old Apr 03, 2008, 04:56 AM
Brit in Bahrain
Bahrain
Joined Mar 2004
610 Posts
I'll second that ! Like the flaps - increases the versatility and love the 'sprung' u.c.

With your permission I would like to use that idea in the future....already thinking about it and how I could modify it to use 'O' rings...rubber bands don't last very long in Arabian Gulf summer temperatures.

Nigel
Nigelp is offline Find More Posts by Nigelp