Could work i reckon
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:32 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
816 Posts
Just an update. I have maidened my Boomerang and flown a couple of weekends but have a way to go before I will be happy with the feel and flight time. I was on the Central coast a month or so ago and called into a hobby shop for a plug and managed to acquire another Boomerang as a spare for $Aus95. This has temporarily fixed the wing problem. The wind has not been a friend just lately and my private strip has been seeded with poo mines from cows. I have been up and down on prop sizes and 4S and 5S batteries, moved the motor back and forth, moved the batteries back and forth trying to get the right feel and flight times. When I am happy I will let you know my set up. I have done watt testing and used eCalc and found these good indications but there is nothing like airtime. Something I have found is one does collect a lot of props of different sizes! I would imagine 90% of the props ever sold would end up in the "I might be able to use that on another plane one day" box.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:11 AM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts

Hi all,

I am learning to fly and have an instructor. I visited the LHS today and saw an ARF boomerang II (1550mm w/s) for sale that includes electric installation kit. The recommended motor for this plane is an OS 3825-750 with 50 ESC and 11x8E prop.

I want to purchase this plane but not the exact motor above as it is $80 but after reading through this thread not sure if the setup is powerful enough.

1. What setup does everyone recommend ?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscotRC View Post
Hi all...........1. What setup does everyone recommend ?
Dave
There are plenty of setups in the thread. Just trawl through and take your pick.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Last edited by Watdazit; Nov 01, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:33 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

I am learning to fly and have an instructor. I visited the LHS today and saw an ARF boomerang II (1550mm w/s) for sale that includes electric installation kit. The recommended motor for this plane is an OS 3825-750 with 50 ESC and 11x8E prop.

I want to purchase this plane but not the exact motor above as it is $80 but after reading through this thread not sure if the setup is powerful enough.

1. What setup does everyone recommend ?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
I helped golf lake set his up with the turnigy G46 670kv on 4s running a 13x8 tgs prop, this works for him.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
177 Posts
downthrust?

So is there a consensus on downthrust and sidethrust for the G46-670 on the boomer 40?

Would be v interested so mine comes out closer than just trial and error.
peterreebok is offline Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:00 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
So is there a consensus on downthrust and sidethrust for the G46-670 on the boomer 40?

Would be v interested so mine comes out closer than just trial and error.
On golf's boomerang he needed 3-4 washers of downthrust, not sure on right thrust?.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
177 Posts
time to see if it is for me.

My multiplex mentor met its death by tree last week.
See plenty of Boomerangs out there, and they are cheap, so bought one. Really want to get my bronze wings this summer.
obtained a turnigy G46 670 kv, 12 x 8 e prop, 4s 4500 mah batteries, and a 70a esc.
Have a watt meter, and will get some data before launching it.

Took a day to assemble, the instructions seem to suddenly get out of order, it really helps to read ahead and plan.

Bound it to my tx this morning, and set throws. C of G took about 60g of lead in the tail, battery is moved back as far as I can get it. Hoping that 60g is not excessive. Opinions?
Total weight is 2.4Kg RTF inc battery and all gear.
Was thinking of adding bigger wheels to help with clearance, or is it ok as is for a grass field.? Field is mown weekly and in great shape.

anyways, will get with the program for this one, and will post when it has maidened.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
My multiplex mentor met its death by tree last week.
See plenty of Boomerangs out there, and they are cheap, so bought one. Really want to get my bronze wings this summer.
obtained a turnigy G46 670 kv, 12 x 8 e prop, 4s 4500 mah batteries, and a 70a esc.
Have a watt meter, and will get some data before launching it.

Took a day to assemble, the instructions seem to suddenly get out of order, it really helps to read ahead and plan.

Bound it to my tx this morning, and set throws. C of G took about 60g of lead in the tail, battery is moved back as far as I can get it. Hoping that 60g is not excessive. Opinions?
Total weight is 2.4Kg RTF inc battery and all gear.
Was thinking of adding bigger wheels to help with clearance, or is it ok as is for a grass field.? Field is mown weekly and in great shape.

anyways, will get with the program for this one, and will post when it has maidened.
I'm putting the same set up in one of these https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=30976
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,054 Posts
60g should make very little difference. You've got the ballast as far back as possible to maximise leverage and minimise weight?

I fly a similar size trainer with weight variations due different battery pack of 120g back to back, and just can't tell.

2.4kg seems like a pretty good weight for the power and size. Looking forward to the flight report!
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
I'm putting the same set up in one of these https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=30976
Bargain! Do you know what size prop you can fit? I see the blurb says 11x8, but I wonder if bigger is possible?
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:09 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Bargain! Do you know what size prop you can fit? I see the blurb says 11x8, but I wonder if bigger is possible?
It's only a guess at this stage but I hope it can take 13-14" props, looking at he height of the main gear it might. ��
Can let you know next Week hopefully, my order is showing printed.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:14 AM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
It's only a guess at this stage but I hope it can take 13-14" props, looking at he height of the main gear it might. ��
Can let you know next Week hopefully, my order is showing printed.
I'm yet to buy the boomerang and was hoping to get it for Xmas, so if this one is just as good for significantly cheaper, keep us informed.!!!
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:33 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Quote:
I'm yet to buy the boomerang and was hoping to get it for Xmas, so if this one is just as good for significantly cheaper, keep us informed.!!!
Will do mate! Order is showing shipped by 12.16pm lol looking good.
Last edited by aeromaniac; Nov 02, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
177 Posts
watt meter results.

The g46 670 kv maxed out at 525 watts, and drawing only 30 amps. Using a 12 x 8 apc e prop. Battery was 4s 4500, but only at 40% capacity, so may be more with a full charge.
never owned a watt meter before, so had to change the connectors, and read the instructions, which are in chinglish, so there should be more data to come when I work it out. Main effort was securing the model so it didnt disappear on me!.

so, at about 5 lbs, and over 500 watts, should be more than adequate.

Just gotta watch out for those trees.