Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:47 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Damn thats heavy?, my scanner with 6s 4000mah is around 2.5kgs about the same as the glow version but better.
i just checked webiste where i got it from they have the wieght at 2.6-2.8kg and the box says the same, but the batt weighs around 600grms but that engine is pretty big and i think the HK comments under pic say some use a bigger prop 14+ for even more power...

and the first few flights seem to be pretty good more than enough power..
skip34 is offline Find More Posts by skip34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:58 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,992 Posts
My Sig LT-25 is a little larger at 63"/1.6m and 724 sq in, and with a 6S 2200, weighs 2.0kg. I couldn't tell the difference when I had a bigger motor, bigger pack and some ballast and it weighed nearer 2.2kg.

I use a geared motor with effective Kv of 440 and a 12x6, so a fair bit less power than that big Kv=600 motor on 5S.

Although I get 8 minute flights, in hindsight I wish I'd gone for bigger packs - at least 3300 - from the start. I was a bit paranoid about weight/wingloading as it was my first non-parkflyer, but now I realise that with a 40 size trainer wing area, 2-300 grams isn't that significant when you've got at least 400W and more just by changing prop size.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:21 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
My Sig LT-25 is a little larger at 63"/1.6m and 724 sq in, and with a 6S 2200, weighs 2.0kg. I couldn't tell the difference when I had a bigger motor, bigger pack and some ballast and it weighed nearer 2.2kg.

I use a geared motor with effective Kv of 440 and a 12x6, so a fair bit less power than that big Kv=600 motor on 5S.

Although I get 8 minute flights, in hindsight I wish I'd gone for bigger packs - at least 3300 - from the start. I was a bit paranoid about weight/wingloading as it was my first non-parkflyer, but now I realise that with a 40 size trainer wing area, 2-300 grams isn't that significant when you've got at least 400W and more just by changing prop size.
This is pretty much my first balsa plane, i have a couple epo parkies which both go great, they are basicly my training planes then i will fly the boomerang, i've only had the instructor fly it so far. i was also looking at going to 5s 5000kvh but as u say the weight then maybe to great but i will prob give it a go anyway.. bigger prop is a possibilty but then clearance becomes an issue, larger wheels again maybe.. will post video sson
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip34 View Post
This is pretty much my first balsa plane, i have a couple epo parkies which both go great, they are basicly my training planes then i will fly the boomerang, i've only had the instructor fly it so far. i was also looking at going to 5s 5000kvh but as u say the weight then maybe to great but i will prob give it a go anyway.. bigger prop is a possibilty but then clearance becomes an issue, larger wheels again maybe.. will post video sson
How many watts is your set up producing ?. Golf lake is running 4s in his and we are still going to play with props but I cant check his voltage and watts with my emeter because I cant plug him up, he uses different connectors to me, I have ordered the g46 670kv to put it in my Obl 40 for testing.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
How many watts is your set up producing ?. Golf lake is running 4s in his and we are still going to play with props but I cant check his voltage and watts with my emeter because I cant plug him up, he uses different connectors to me, I have ordered the g46 670kv to put it in my Obl 40 for testing.
Im afraid i don't have tester, i will see if someone at club has one with them when i go next.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:01 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Im afraid i don't have tester, i will see if someone at club has one with them when i go next.
Not a good idea to throw a bigger prop on without first knowing where your starting from.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
So you have put your battery in under the wing?
Quote:
I just finished my Boomerang 40 ep convertion, and she flies great plenty of power and stable.
items:
Turnigy C5055 600kv
Red brick esc 100amp
12x6 prop
Homemade switch for the batt, as i found it a little dangerous when conecting the batt and having it live while you attach wings,..

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/P1010006.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/P1010005.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/P1010004.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/P1010007.jpg

Also the last photo shows angle of motor mount as i did find on the first flight that she pulled straight up as the air was forced under the wing, with this angle there is only a slight climb at full power..
the switch is just glued in place and then you connect the deabns plug completing the loop.. the guys at the club were very impressed with the way she flies..
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:43 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblygts View Post
Golf lake has his battery directly behind the front firewall, remember it replacing tank of glow fuel.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:26 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblygts View Post
yeah behind fire wall where tank would have been , with foam to stop it moving around to much, cg seems fine with it there..
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Remembering that with a fuel tank, your trim and CofG would change during flight because of the consumption of fuel, batteries on the other hand weight the same fully charged or not, so CofG remains constant, but the down side is that the available power decreases during flight, but your batteries of big enough this should not be to much of a problem on most models.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Yes I understand the positioning of the battery forwards enough, it's just that looking at the pics where the deans plug was I thought the battery was under the wing. But upon rereading his post that is only a jumper lead?
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:28 AM
Metric FTW!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
201 Posts
Would anyone be interested in buying my boomerang 40 trainer converted to electric?

Turnigy 80A plush esc
turnigy 5055b 600kv outrunner
12x8 prop
2 x Zippy 5000mah 5s lipos
Turnigy 5A bec

Had about 15 flights, couple of small dings but otherwise great condition. Pulls about 50-60 amps with that setup and has great vertical performance.

Any other info or pics pm me
Cheers
maxpowers is offline Find More Posts by maxpowers
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Tempting, but shipping from Melbourne would be a pisser. Now if I was on the project we have down there I might be able to get around that, but I'm not (we are doing some control-tower work for ASA).

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Tempting, but shipping from Melbourne would be a pisser. Now if I was on the project we have down there I might be able to get around that, but I'm not (we are doing some control-tower work for ASA).

Dave
Even shipping from victoria to sa is bad enough lol.

Adelaide Hobbyking storefront is meant to open today yahoo
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
Metric FTW!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
201 Posts
Yeah its a bit big to ship when fully assembled.
maxpowers is offline Find More Posts by maxpowers