HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I reckon the G46 on 4s looks like a pretty good fit. If you've got clearance, I'd suggest starting with the 12x8.

In my similar (maybe a bit lighter) LT-25: I've flown it on 4S as low as 240W (13x10), 3S 4000mAh packs with a G32 (12x10) , 6S with Kv=410 (12x8, 12x10, 13x8) and 6S 2200mAH packs with Kv=490 (12x8). The G32 was actually pretty good at around 370W. The motor with Kv=490 is as a test bed for the second biggest of the new OS brushless. Nearly 10000rpm on a 12x8, 800W, just rockets away vertically

Your G46 on 4S is a bit hotter than a G32 on 3S, and lots hotter than my 6S setups, but if you're limited to 11 or 12" props that's a good thing as you'll need more rpm with the smaller diameter. I went with the lower Kv because I was expecting to use 13 and maybe 14" props, but ended up being very pleasantly surprised to find 12" props were enough and how well 80-90W/lb works - less than 2/3 throttle takeoffs, big consecutive loops just by advancing the throttle, and good run time.

Just a suggestion on moving your motor forward by an inch. See if you can find some 25mm square aluminium tubing (Bunnings stocks it here in the east). Also see if you can find some 3mm strip/plate ideally as wide as either the vertical or horizontal spacing of your existing firewall bolt holes (whichever is narrower) 50 or 60mm wide should do it. Cut the plate to size and drill to match the bolt holes. Cut 2 lengths of the tubing to fit vertically and drill to match the firewall bolt holes. Using the G46 X mount as a template, drill the 3mm plate to fit the back of the motor. Bolt up the plate to the back of the motor, and bolt the plate through the spacers up to the existing firewall blind nuts with longer bolts. Easy to change out, light, if 25mm is too much, there's U channel in 12, 16 and 19mm sizes that can do just as well, and no worries abut getting glue to stick in an oily engine bay, and you should have no problems with the existing nosegear. And easier to get consistent spacing than trying to cut tube standoffs to length. If you're interested in giving it a go, I'll get some photos of it for you.

Scirocco
More good info, I might use this system to convert the old Nitro Excell over first, ta Scirocco.
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:59 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
Description and photos of standoff here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post19979740
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
Thanks Scirocco,

Everything you mention makes sense, yes I would love to see the photo's, Bunnings should sell the gear here as well. I am really looking forward to flying the boomerang as electric, when I start my project i will post photo's as I go.

Many Thanks Again.

Shaun.
Pics are here Shaun
*edit Whoops, didn't see the above post....
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:37 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks again Scirocco,

I recon you are on to it and it does seem to be a very good, strong and adjustable firewall.

Hey Jeff at least the Boomerang is a good size to see in the air, you should try the Fun Fighters from Hobby King ( if you have not already ) they are small, fast, great to fly and they can get out of sight real easy

I may start the Boomerang conversion before Christmas if work slows off a bit. I will post photo's and I am pleased that I am on the right track also I will order a 12x10 prop and give it a bash as well.

Post how you are going with what you decide to convert Jeff.
Oh yeah Mornin to you too

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
Hi All. Just received my engine mount and prop in the post.
Prop is an evolution 12x8
Will post some picks once mounted.
Still waiting on battery.
electrafunatic is offline Find More Posts by electrafunatic
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
See attached photo of engine mount, Tower pro 3520-7t, prop spinner and 12x8 prop. Note the spinner was too small for the cover to fit over the prop. May have to get the dremel drill/cutter out.

One thing I am worried about is the new electric setup hangs out the front about 1/2 inch further than the original gas .46. Will this help with the lighter setup and any potential CG issues?
Last edited by electrafunatic; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:48 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Hey Guy's,

I have ordered my batteries I went for these,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Should give me some good stick time and also help getting the CG right, I dont think I will use a 5s because I think it will be over kill for a trainer.

Electra the only issue I can see with your motor out further is in a crash (if it happens) the motor will take the initial impact and damaging your motor and firewall and yes it should help with your CG. Boy you have been waiting to do your conversion for awhile.

I will keep you all updated.

Shaun.
Last edited by Banjofrog; Dec 03, 2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Adding more comments
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
hey. Would the 12X8 prop etc work with any .40 size trainer? I can get one for $90 and reckon it would be worth a conversion.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:12 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
Hi Banjo. Should have it up and running by the weekend.
I was trying setup a FPV camera with transmitter 5.8g but struggling to get it to work.
Will have the daughter with the video camera though.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:32 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
hey. Would the 12X8 prop etc work with any .40 size trainer? I can get one for $90 and reckon it would be worth a conversion.
12x8 will work well with cell count x motor Kv = about 2700 to about 3200, eg e 4S x 670, 4S x 800, 6S x 500, as long as the motor weighs at least 200g. They'll give you at least 450W and adequate pitch speed. With a 12" prop and that power, even a 6-7lb trainer will go OK.

12x10 you can get away with cellsxKv as low as 2300 (G32-770 3S), but 2400-2500 is better.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:42 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrafunatic View Post
Hi Banjo. Should have it up and running by the weekend.
I was trying setup a FPV camera with transmitter 5.8g but struggling to get it to work.
Will have the daughter with the video camera though.
Hey Electra that would be great to see.

My batteries have arrived I got 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html 1 4s 3300 I also have 4s 2200, 1800 and 1600 but the lower mah batteries are for other planes but I can use them if need be. I just need to get the materials for the standoff firewall and then I am ready for the Christmas break.

Shaun.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:40 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,645 Posts
I have been helping a friend with his boomerang conversion, we got it to fly nicely on the turnigy ezmatch 46 670kv and 12x8 master electric in 4s 5000mah, certainly is not overpowered but is good enough.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
I have been helping a friend with his boomerang conversion, we got it to fly nicely on the turnigy ezmatch 46 670kv and 12x8 master electric in 4s 5000mah, certainly is not overpowered but is good enough.
That setup is what a couple of us are doing, when you say good enough is it equal to a nitro setup?, what flight time did you guy's manage to get? would a 5s be better choice or maybe a different size prop, my OS Nitro .46 recommended an 11x6 as a maximum sized prop.

Thanks,

Shaun.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
That setup is what a couple of us are doing, when you say good enough is it equal to a nitro setup?, what flight time did you guy's manage to get? would a 5s be better choice or maybe a different size prop, my OS Nitro .46 recommended an 11x6 as a maximum sized prop.

Thanks,

Shaun.
We have never timed the flight, but at a guess the average flight would be around 5 mins and he only put about 2000mah back into the batteries, are going flying today so I will try and remember to time the flights, certainly the motor and battery are under propped, the specs on that motor say that on 4s you can run a 14x8 or 5s the 12x8. I can't measure the amps because he is using different connectors to me.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
We have never timed the flight, but at a guess the average flight would be around 5 mins and he only put about 2000mah back into the batteries, are going flying today so I will try and remember to time the flights, certainly the motor and battery are under propped, the specs on that motor say that on 4s you can run a 14x8 or 5s the 12x8. I can't measure the amps because he is using different connectors to me.
That would be great if you can
The main problem going to anything larger than a 12" prop on the Boomerang is the ground clearance and I don't fancy changing it to a tail dragger at this time. After all the kit cost less than $100 and might as well of gone out and bought another kit that is electric.
I am still committed to the conversion as I have purchased all that I need except the material to build the stand off firewall. I may try a 5s after I maiden if the performance is not up to my expectation.

Thanks,

Shaun.