HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2010, 05:34 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,903 Posts
Thank you, once the battery and other electronics come I will open a thread.
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 12:50 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Kadet mKII

Here is a clip of my SIG Kadet mKII .40
http://www.youtube.com/user/karlvida.../1/timDHHW_QKE

Power setup:

Motor: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...0_750Kv_/_600W

Esc: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...eed_Controller

Lipo: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._20C_Lipo_Pack

And a 12x6 Apc-clone from HK.

The kadet was buildt as a El. powered model from the box, so i was able to
get the AUW to 1,32kg.
I'm wery happy with the performanse of the powerline, and it was cheap

best wishes for your conversion, and happy flying !!

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:52 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
HI All. After starting this threas 1600 days ago I have decided to start my conversion.

(3 kids 2,4 and 6) should explain my delays...
Still have the towerpro 3520-7-t-8. Just order an engine mount and 5s 4000mah battery.

Whats the go with balancing the plane? (swapping the glo for elec about 200grams lighter on the nose) Should I add lead or just place the battery hard up to the front as close as possible?

cheers
electrafunatic is offline Find More Posts by electrafunatic
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:10 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
5S with a 14x7 and a motor with Kv=600 (is it not 670?) is gonna pull a lot of amps!

I'd have thought 4S and 13x8-10 would be adequate for a trainer. I fly a Sig LT-25 which is the same size, on a range of power systems and weights from 2000g to 2200g. Even 240W was enough, but I usually run 6S 2200 Kv=410 and 12x8 for about 420W. A very successful 3S setup was a Turnigy G32 (Kv=770) and 12x10 for only 320W, but still pretty sporty. In this size class I reckon props from 12-14" and Kv times cells = roughly 2400-2500 is a pretty good guide. I like a bit more pitch because most of the time is at substantially reduced throttle/rpm.

If you can get the pack forward and avoid ballast that's only ever a good thing, but I wouldn't sweat it too much - a big wing like that will barely notice a couple 100g. I fly back to back flights with battery packs that differ by 100g and I honestly can't tell.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:03 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Scirocco.

I'm thinking of trying my orginal wooden glo prop from memory 11x3.. due to potential ground clearance issues. Will this sieze prop work or will it just 'spin the wheels'?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:09 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
The specs on the Tower Pro 3520-7t are;

4-5LIPO

600KV

max 800W/60s
max current 56A
13*8/14*7APC-E prop
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:43 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
11x3? Nowhere near enough pitch.

Re the specs on the motor:

The prop and cell count are always shown that way but typically they need to be read as limits in reverse order. 4 cells you can use up to 14x7, 5 cells up to 13x8. Typically not a suggestion of 13-8 to 14x7 on either cell count!

In discovering ground clearance issues you're running into the golden rule of electric conversions - pick your prop based on what will fit, before your motor and battery packs.

If you're stuck with 11" props, you'll want to use 5 cells. I haven't got accurate specs on your motor, but for comparison a Turnigy G32-600 should do. 5S, 11x7E should give you about 450W in, at good efficiency, with about 2.3kg static thrust and 67mph pitch speed. That sort of system will work just fine on a 61" trainer. You'll get good aerobatic performance, half to 2/3 throttle takeoffs and with a 4000mA pack at only 27A peak and more like 10-12A average, duration well over 10 minutes.

A 260g motor with Kv=600 will also cope well with 12" props on 5S - around 630w peak. But if you're concerned about ground clearance, start with 11".

And don't be too worried about watts and weight. Even if you end up around 3kg, an 11" prop on 5S will fly it just fine. You've got ample thrust and a big wing for lift!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
thanks Scirocco

Just ordered tail wheel for tail drag conversion and 12x8 evolution prop.
Will post some pics once gear has arrived by mail.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Hi Guy's,

Over the Christmas break I plan on converting my seagull boomerang to electric.
The motor I have chosen is this:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14404 with an 80amp plush esc, various two and three bladed props 12x8, 12x7,12x6 and 11x8 with 4s battery for static test with a watts up meter and probably use 5s for maiden. I recon a standard Boomerang will have the ground clearance with a 12" prop but a 13" is getting a bit close.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
Hi Guy's,

The motor I have chosen is this:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14404 with an 80amp plush esc, various two and three bladed props 12x8, 12x7,12x6 and 11x8 with 4s battery for static test with a watts up meter and probably use 5s for maiden. I recon a standard Boomerang will have the ground clearance with a 12" prop but a 13" is getting a bit close.

Shaun.
I'm doing a Boomerang 40 conversion also. I just recieved exactly the same motor and will be using the same esc. I only have to settle on a prop for it and it will be a goer. I am going to move the motor mount forward as Astrowall has done also. 4S for the moment till I get some 5S.
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:39 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guy's,

Shaun.
Noice! You might also want to consider the APCE 12x10 on 4S - these big wing trainers fly around on such reduced throttle/rpm most of the time that you might find the extra pitch handy.

FWIW, ecalc includes most of the the Turnigy Gxx motors, and in my experience with the G32 models pretty accurately
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:08 AM
Australia, VIC, Golden Square
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Noice! You might also want to consider the APCE 12x10 on 4S - these big wing trainers fly around on such reduced throttle/rpm most of the time that you might find the extra pitch handy.

FWIW, ecalc includes most of the the Turnigy Gxx motors, and in my experience with the G32 models pretty accurately
Good info, ta for that.
wobblygts is offline Find More Posts by wobblygts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:31 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Scirocco,

Thanks for the link, looks like 11" or 12" 6 or 7 pitch is going to be fine which really is not much different to the prop I was using as a glow. My plan with the Turnigy g46 is to build another firewall about an inch or so closer to the nose of the boomerang and have the motor be flush with the front ( if you get my drift). It does seem a 4s battery will be fine and a five may be pushing thing a bit if I go for larger props. Currently I am just looking for stick time with mild acrobatics thrown in. Should I have gone for a low KV motor IYO? I have hardly any experience with setups as I have only just started flying Feb this year at the ripe age of 49yrs and just as my eyes start failing Thanks again.

Wobblygts (sounds like me hehe) hope everything goes well for you, please keep us informed if you maiden before I do on how it all goes and I shall do the same all the best

Shaun.
Last edited by Banjofrog; Nov 26, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:51 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Scirocco,

Thanks for the link, looks like 11" or 12" 6 or 7 pitch is going to be fine which really is not much different to the prop I was using as a glow. My plan with the Turnigy g46 is to build another firewall about an inch or so closer to the nose of the boomerang and have the motor be flush with the front ( if you get my drift). It does seem a 4s battery will be fine and a five may be pushing thing a bit if I go for larger props. Currently I am just looking for stick time with mild acrobatics thrown in. Should I have gone for a low KV motor IYO? I have hardly any experience with setups as I have only just started flying Feb this year at the ripe age of 49yrs and just as my eyes start failing Thanks again.

Wobblygts (sounds like me hehe) hope everything goes well for you, please keep us informed if you maiden before I do on how it all goes and I shall do the same all the best

Shaun.
I reckon the G46 on 4s looks like a pretty good fit. If you've got clearance, I'd suggest starting with the 12x8.

In my similar (maybe a bit lighter) LT-25: I've flown it on 4S as low as 240W (13x10), 3S 4000mAh packs with a G32 (12x10) , 6S with Kv=410 (12x8, 12x10, 13x8) and 6S 2200mAH packs with Kv=490 (12x8). The G32 was actually pretty good at around 370W. The motor with Kv=490 is as a test bed for the second biggest of the new OS brushless. Nearly 10000rpm on a 12x8, 800W, just rockets away vertically

Your G46 on 4S is a bit hotter than a G32 on 3S, and lots hotter than my 6S setups, but if you're limited to 11 or 12" props that's a good thing as you'll need more rpm with the smaller diameter. I went with the lower Kv because I was expecting to use 13 and maybe 14" props, but ended up being very pleasantly surprised to find 12" props were enough and how well 80-90W/lb works - less than 2/3 throttle takeoffs, big consecutive loops just by advancing the throttle, and good run time.

Just a suggestion on moving your motor forward by an inch. See if you can find some 25mm square aluminium tubing (Bunnings stocks it here in the east). Also see if you can find some 3mm strip/plate ideally as wide as either the vertical or horizontal spacing of your existing firewall bolt holes (whichever is narrower) 50 or 60mm wide should do it. Cut the plate to size and drill to match the bolt holes. Cut 2 lengths of the tubing to fit vertically and drill to match the firewall bolt holes. Using the G46 X mount as a template, drill the 3mm plate to fit the back of the motor. Bolt up the plate to the back of the motor, and bolt the plate through the spacers up to the existing firewall blind nuts with longer bolts. Easy to change out, light, if 25mm is too much, there's U channel in 12, 16 and 19mm sizes that can do just as well, and no worries abut getting glue to stick in an oily engine bay, and you should have no problems with the existing nosegear. And easier to get consistent spacing than trying to cut tube standoffs to length. If you're interested in giving it a go, I'll get some photos of it for you.

Scirocco
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Thanks Scirocco,

Everything you mention makes sense, yes I would love to see the photo's, Bunnings should sell the gear here as well. I am really looking forward to flying the boomerang as electric, when I start my project i will post photo's as I go.

Many Thanks Again.

Shaun.