HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:27 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,317 Posts
Discussion
Ventus 4.5 meter retrac servo

I am finished building my Ventus and need help in picking the right retrac servo the one I am using is a Hitech 225mg and it seems to not have enough torqe to hold the retrac open it has a hard time going threw the doors what servos are you using for your scale
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:15 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
Creeve,

I've got an old Graupner 4m Ventus, and I am using a Hitec HS-75. Seems to have enough power to get through it all.
If not a JR 971 (i think that's the number) will no doubt power it through. It has a LOT of torque.

Hope this helps

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:34 PM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
I will second the HS-75. I have used them in a couple of planes that size and had no trouble. This is the installation in my Ventus.
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
Old Jun 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
I tried the HS-75 on my LET 1/3 scale DG-600, and it would work while on the bench, but when I installed it into the acft, it lacked the power to push open the doors. And then it would stall. I forget how many amps it was pulling, but it was definitely too small. And everyone one knows that a stalled servo can lead to disastrous results. Especially when it doesn't have it's own power supply.

That's when I put in the JR 971. With a 5cell battery it has well over 300 in/oz's of torque No problems since.. It costs twice as much, but I feel more comfortable knowing that the servo won't be stalling, when I retract it.

If the hs-75 won't push through the doors; you might try a 5cell battery pack; that will help . Also watch your geometry on the servo arm compared to the retract arm.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Old Jul 02, 2007, 05:07 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
789 Posts
HI,

replaced the HS-75BB after three failures on the retract of my large L-213A by a JR 791 (isnít that the correct number instead of 971?).

No more hassles since...

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Jul 02, 2007, 10:59 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
JR retract is the way to go

I agree with the consensus on the JR retract servo.
IF you have a perfectly functioning retract, the smaller torque
Hitec is okay, but in the real world of grit, grass, and whatnot,
the higher torque is the way to go. Ask me why I know.
kevin
kevin kavaney is offline Find More Posts by kevin kavaney
Old Jul 02, 2007, 12:19 PM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
Andy, Kevin,

If you have the servo in front of you and it says JR 791, then that is most likely what I was talking about. I threw away the box after install, and I couldn't see the servo as it is on the backside of the landing gear.
Memory isn't what it used to be,, First the eyes, now the memory...Getting old is really starting to suck...

I find the hs-75 works for the 4.5m ships on down. Never seemed to have a problem with them. But I did use one for my big 1/3 Pilatus B-4. I think it has a FEMA type retract that works smoothly.

I really think that the servo size depends on the type of retract that you are using! The FEMA type work well, but the LET monstrosity is too big and heavy and requires the extra power.

Bill
Old Jul 02, 2007, 02:49 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,778 Posts
It depends on the retract, LET require a 180 degree servo, FEMA retracts use a regular servo so there are many choices when using a FEMA.
And Bill, how is that Windex coming? I flew the pants off mine at the JR aerotow, pretty sure it will be seen in the new Paul Naton dvd coming as soon as Paul gets it edited and printed.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
The Windex was finished a few months ago (I think) And is ready to fly.
I haven't had the time to fly anything since I work at night. This has really put the dampers on my flying. I should have range checked it with the motor running last Sunday but forgot about it. A couple of friends want to be there when I do finally put it in the air.

I flew my Silent Dream on Sunday, and I couldn't remember how to activate the timer function on my 9303. Finally figured it out after a few minutes, or maybe I stumbled across it... But I did manage to core a few thermals and bring everything home in one piece.

Have cleared the bench since the WIndex was finished and now I'm getting ready for some slope action this weekend at Greens Peak. As well as a few honey-dos....

Wish I could have been at the JR event. Looks like you guys were swamped out there. I will definitely get the dvd when Paul gets done with it.

Bill
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:01 PM
glider guider
Winnipeg, MB
Joined Mar 2005
73 Posts
The 791 is a great servo but there are a couple of points. It is non proportional and all adjustments are mechanical. It is also not rated above 4.8 volts so a 5 cell battery pack is out. One friend was using a 5 cell and it would seem at full charge the servo would shut itself down and not operate at all. On my 4.5m model I have used the Hitec 5645, cousin of the 645, and this has 143/168 oz of torque.
glider guider is offline Find More Posts by glider guider
Old Jul 04, 2007, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
You're right the 791 isn't rated above 4.8 volts and all adjustments are mechanical in nature. For my particular application the 5645 (I tried) wasn't enough to push the LET landing gear through the lightly banded doors.
My 791 works fine on 5 cells.. Never saw it shut itself down with numerous operations on the bench. But now that you've mentioned it, I'll go back and check! Pehaps your friend had an older version of the 791??

A thought just occurred that maybe the JOMAR battery backer ( That I use) is regulating the voltage to the reciever?? I'll check that as well and ppost back the results.

Thanks for the info.

Bill