SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Build Log
SebArt Sukhoi 29 S30E Build Log

Since I haven’t seen a complete build thread on the Sukhoi S30 I thought I would try my hand at writing my first build thread. With the Sukhoi being such a great looking model I figure this should be a fun build to document. Like I said, this is my first build thread so please be patient as I tend to take my time when building.

I have been flying for almost two years now and I really enjoy building and thought I would never own an ARF, in fact I assumed that I would progress from laser cut kits to scratch building as, in my opinion, that was the only way to go. After joining a local club and seeing the quality and beauty of today’s ARF’s, such as those designed by Extreme Flight and SebArt, I had to eat my “I will never own an ARF” words as I now find myself purchasing my third ARF.

After having great luck with the Extreme Flight Yak and Vanquish I knew I wanted another ARF but I wanted to "try something new". When looking around, SebArt seemed to have the same high standards in design and quality as Extreme Flight so for me SebArt seemed like a good choice, however I had to decide between the Sukhoi and the Katana. Since the Sukhoi is $40.00 more than the Katana I had pretty much decided to go with the Katana however, while making one of my routine trips to Atlanta Hobby, I was able to compare both models side by side. Even though the Sukhoi is only two inches wider and longer than the Katana it looks much bigger than the Katana and dwarfs the EF Yak. Bottom line, I decided to go with the Sukhoi over the Katana simply because of its size and looks, I really like round fuses and its only money

MLT

MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:26 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
Since I haven’t seen a complete build thread on the Sukhoi S30 I thought I would try my hand at writing my first build thread. With the Sukhoi being such a great looking model I figure this should be a fun build to document. Like I said, this is my first build thread so please be patient as I tend to take my time when building.

I have been flying for almost two years now and I really enjoy building and thought I would never own an ARF, in fact I assumed that I would progress from laser cut kits to scratch building as, in my opinion, that was the only way to go. After joining a local club and seeing the quality and beauty of today’s ARF’s, such as those designed by Extreme Flight and SebArt, I had to eat my “I will never own an ARF” words as I now find myself purchasing my third ARF.

After having great luck with the Extreme Flight Yak and Vanquish I knew I wanted another ARF but I wanted to "try something new". When looking around, SebArt seemed to have the same high standards in design and quality as Extreme Flight so for me SebArt seemed like a good choice, however I had to decide between the Sukhoi and the Katana. Since the Sukhoi is $40.00 more than the Katana I had pretty much decided to go with the Katana however, while making one of my routine trips to Atlanta Hobby, I was able to compare both models side by side. Even though the Sukhoi is only two inches wider and longer than the Katana it looks much bigger than the Katana and dwarfs the EF Yak. Bottom line, I decided to go with the Sukhoi over the Katana simply because of its size and looks, I really like round fuses and its only money

MLT

Are you going to post any pics with the build,??

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:28 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Now that all my decisions have been made it was time to purchase my next new project.

For the power setup I am going with the Torque 2814-820, Castle Creations Phoenix 45, 4S 2200Mah ThunderPower Extreme and a APC 13x6.5e prop. This is pretty much Atlanta Hobby’s recommended setup and it is the same equipment I salvaged out of my Vanquish which, by the way, I dumb thumbed a week ago resulting in an immediate need for a new plane.

In addition to the kit and afore mentioned power setup, I made sure to pick up the following items to complete the build.

4 - Hitec HS-65 servos (I will use a HS-65 MG for the rudder)
2 - 8 inch light weight servo extensions
2 - 24 inch light weight servo extensions
1 – Electron 6 RX
1- Bottle of thin CA

Cliff makes purchasing everything you need for the kit by offering a "Complete Combo" which includes everything except the RX and CA, I purchased my EF Yak and Vanquish this way and it’s an easy way to make sure you have everything you need in one box.

MLT
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:32 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss248
Are you going to post any pics with the build,??
Boss
Sure will, I should have more pics tomorrow....
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Thanks for the thread. That plane is beautiful.
poring is offline Find More Posts by poring
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
I have been using Mercury adhesives since SEFF and I have been very pleased with the glue specifically the no clog bottle; not having to use pliers or my teeth to open the cap of my CA was worth it. Another plus for me was that Mercury CA did NOT have any of the obnoxious fumes like the other CA’s I have used in the past so I made sure to stock up for this build.

I carefully unpacked all the parts and laid everything out on my build table. At first glance everything looked fine and the quality of the covering was high which is what I am accustomed to working with Extreme Flight ARF's. The build manual is very straight forward and I began assembling the wings. My goal was to complete the wings this afternoon but progress stopped as I had an issue installing one of the fillets. I followed the instructions exactly as they are printed in the manual but some how I totally screwed up the left wing fillet. The pictures below pretty much tell the story.

By the time I realized what I had done my battery charger beeped and I unhooked the fully charged battery and headed to the field to fly, repairing my mistake would have to wait. I hope to have more tomorrow

MLT
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:14 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Time to fix my mistake, one of the things I like about build threads is that you can learn from others mistakes. My advice on installing the fillets is to deviate from the manual and install the fillets while the wings are on the fuse and tack with thin CA. I decided the best approach was to try and break the joint loose, straighten and re-glue. Using my iron I reheated the covering that over laps the fillet and carefully pealed it back exposing the joint. Using a syringe I wicked in some de-bonder around the joint and took my x-acto knife and began trying to release the joint. I will say the bond that the Mercury Adhesive created was very strong, so much so that it took an hour to loosen the joint. Once loose I made sure the fillet was straight and then tacked the joint with thin CA. Pretty easy fix with one exception. During the process of breaking the joint I managed to damage the covering that over laps the fillet and when I tried to iron it back down it looked pretty bad. I decided to peel the covering back even more and cut the damaged part away. I then got some of white covering I had left over to try to match the existing. Trying to match the white covering was difficult, it seems that the covering on the Sukhoi is somewhere between Solite and Solarfilm as far as its opaqueness. I ended up taking some white paint and dabbing the area that I had removed the covering then took a small narrow piece of white Solite to fill in and over lap the fillet. The fix turned out great and as you can see below, looks no different than the other wing.

Time for bed, hopefully I can get back to finishing the wings tomorrow.

MLT
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
south wales
Joined Jun 2004
278 Posts
Good build so far mlt keep up the good work my kit is in the shop arrived thursday and hopefully funds depending will be collecting by mid next week. Gone for the recommended hacker motor with the 55 amp esc and 3c 2100 pack.

...............................Pics are great .................................................. ....
beancapooer is offline Find More Posts by beancapooer
Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:40 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Thanks Bean, I am looking forward to getting this bird in the air.

Well after correcting my goof-up, I finished the wings this afternoon. I followed each step of the manual and everything went smooth. Once I was finished I went over all the covering with my iron and also added some thin CA to the wing root joints, I do this on all ARF's. As always, the pictures tell the story.

MLT
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
south wales
Joined Jun 2004
278 Posts
looking good mlt, nice tip on the covering in the hinge gap, can`t wait to get mine now. Anyone flying this on the recommended setup with the 3 cell 2100 pack whats the performance like???????
beancapooer is offline Find More Posts by beancapooer
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Now that I am finished with the wings it's time to move on to the tail group. So far, with the exception of fixing my goof with the wing fillet, the build has gone smoothly with no surprises or issues. Now on with the show....

MLT
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:04 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
The build is going great however I am a little behind posting my progress. The next step was to finish the tail section which I needed to install the control horns and servos. Once again I had to use my Dremel to lengthen the holes for the HS-65 HB's Also I am going to use the HS-65 metal gear on the elevator simply becasue that's what I have left over from my Vanquish.

MLT
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Next was the landing gear and I made several mods in this area of the build. Basically I decided to use the wheel axels from my Vanquish instead of the threded bolt that came with the kit. I also found out that you can mount the LG backwards and in doing so will cause the lift gereators to not fit right.

MLT
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Heheh nice doggie,
Nice thread so far and since you know i saw you fly it earlier today, you also know that i really like the look of the sukhoi. Very nice axial rolls and overall, it seems to fly very nicely. Come out again tomorrow and we'll shoot a bit of video.
Talk to ya at the field,
Tone
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Yes I am a bit behind on my posting, I finished the kit last night and had a quick flight this afternoon. Everything went well but I needed to shift things around to help with the CG. AUW is 3lb 2oz, I will have more on the flight and the finished build tomorrow. Tony I will take you up on shooting some video, I want to get some good stills as well.

MLT