HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:12 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Discussion
DN Balance charger for a non-balance lead battery?

Hey all,

I have a DN Balance Charger and just got a Thunder Power 720Mah 11.1v battery that does NOT have a balance lead.

Is there a way I can use my Balance charger to charge this non-balance lead battery? I'm hoping I can get an adapter?

Thanks!
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:34 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
You would need to solder a balance connector into the pack.
This is not very easy to do unless you are experienced already.
You would actually have to open the pack up to access the wiring.
A lot of batteries use tabs that do not accept regular solder.
As well you must be very careful NOT to short anything at all times.
I know what I'm doing (Electronices tech) and I still get frustrated every now and then.
Since it did not have taps in place it must be a rather old battery and probably not worth attempting it in my opinion.

Happy Flying,

Tim
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:08 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin1205
You would need to solder a balance connector into the pack.
This is not very easy to do unless you are experienced already.
You would actually have to open the pack up to access the wiring.
A lot of batteries use tabs that do not accept regular solder.
As well you must be very careful NOT to short anything at all times.
I know what I'm doing (Electronices tech) and I still get frustrated every now and then.
Since it did not have taps in place it must be a rather old battery and probably not worth attempting it in my opinion.

Happy Flying,

Tim
Actually it's a brand new battery....Thunder Power. I ordered it online rather quickly and didn't even think to see if it had a balance lead.....I just assumed it would!

I guess I need to buy a non-balance charger now

Thanks,
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:32 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,847 Posts
Skarn, maybe not. Did your DN come with some adapters? If so, see if you and modify one to use the first and fourth wires only and adapt these to you discharge connector of you pack. I am not sure about this DN charger but the older CSRC chargers would do this.
On my older style CSRC chargers I used the far left wire (black) and the far right wire (red) of the 3S port to the packs.
I did not know TP made packs without balancer taps. What is the date on it?

I can try this at home tonight on my CSRC DN style charger if you want. That is safer for you anyhow.

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:38 PM
Bellevue,WA
Joined Jun 2006
447 Posts
As far as I know the DN charger can charge batteries that do not have balance tabs. You need to use the middle connectors on the charger and conect the battery leads there. Ofcourse it will be charged but not ballanced charged. Which is fine for most uses (not high discharge heavy usage of the battery).

Have fun,
Petru

EDIT: here is the manual (see general charging port): http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkiawM3...Charger/G2.asp
PetruSoroaga is offline Find More Posts by PetruSoroaga
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn
Hey all,

I have a DN Balance Charger and just got a Thunder Power 720Mah 11.1v battery that does NOT have a balance lead.

Is there a way I can use my Balance charger to charge this non-balance lead battery? I'm hoping I can get an adapter?

Thanks!
Skarn
just SLOW charge it ~ 50 ma and never overload it, use a wattmeter to check prop load
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:23 AM View Post
carol312
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.