HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Discussion
Gee Bee Model Z - Adrian Page

Anyone flying Page's Model Z? What prop and motor are you using? I tried it with a Saito 56 and a Zinger 12x6 without success...

Thanks
Roberto.
Mesnik is offline Find More Posts by Mesnik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
Colorado-7200 ft. elev.
Joined Sep 2004
62 Posts
Hi Roberto---
What kind of problems are you having? I have always heard that that Page kits are good fliers.Sorry,but my GB is a kysho arf,yet to be assembled,so I don't have hands on experiences to relate.I plan to run my K&B .48 with an11x8 prop and that's why I am curious about your problems.

Dave
Dave Bell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bell
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:51 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Hey Dave,

The issue is not enough power to take off. I took off and ended up stalling into the woods after the first turn. Luckily no big damage.

So, possible issues:

1) Engine is new and needs more brake in.
2) Engine needs better tune up.
3) Propeller is not the correct one (I bought different ones to try)
4) Engine is not the correct one (it is the one recommended by Page)

Tomorrow I might take the bird out and try it again. I will report back...
Old Jun 22, 2007, 06:39 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
My guess would by an 12 or 13 x 5 to get more pull. I used a 12 x 6 on a Saito 45, so maybe you just need more prop. Never had one, don't know.
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 23, 2007, 03:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,576 Posts
How much time is on your motor?

Saitos take at least a gallon to break in. I think that your prop choice is in the ball park.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bell
I plan to run my K&B .48 with an11x8 prop.
You're flying at 7200 feet.
I assume that 48 may be OK at that altitude ?
What is the AUW of her ?
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Well, the Gee Bee is no more in action. The crash this past weekend did it in. It is repairable after good hours of work, but I am not going to waste time.

The engine is new but it had a few tanks through. It has a lot of power on the ground. It takes off nicely and easily. But after a few seconds in the air, something happens and it totally looses power and authority, right on first bank (keep nose down, turn slowly w/rudder, etc...)

Maybe it needs more power. My irritation is that I followed the "manufacturer"'s recommendation: Saito 56 on a APC 11x6 (The first flight and first crash I did use a 12x6). No wonder he is in on a different business now.

For the record, I am not a beginner flyier or builder!!

The good part about it is that all the electronics and engine survived and are already planned to move in a new home... HE!HE!

Good luck!!
Roberto
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
Colorado-7200 ft. elev.
Joined Sep 2004
62 Posts
Indoruwet----

You are right,I do fly at 7200 ft.(actually 8120 ft at the field). I have found that up this high,it is almost mandatory to run 15% nitro and one engine size larger.Generally,the specified engine size will work (poorly) and not at all if build weight is marginally heavy.As to my Gee Bee,the advertised wt. is 5 lbs.,14 oz. with 26.46 oz. wing loading.As mentioned, it hasn't been assembeled yet and weight could go either way.I started flying arf's and kit builds at this altitude with .40's,and 10x5 thru 10x8 props but found that it doesn't get it done.I now run .46 thru .60 engines and props rangeing from 11x7 thru 12x4. The .48 (2 h.p. at sea level and 18,000 r.p.m) turns 12,200 r.p.m. with an 11x7 at the field so I think it will get the job done .What do you think ?

Dave
Dave Bell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bell
Old Dec 24, 2009, 07:35 PM
United States, NC, High Point
Joined May 2006
4 Posts
I have a Adrian Page Z covered in silk and Stits paint that is 7 years old and flys great. The plane looks as new and has a 53 4 stroke with a pressurized tank. You have to be on your game to land it but I think some Gee Bee problems stem from the wheels inside of the pants. They never need to touch anything but the runway. I guess one reason I have taken care of it is that I know how time consuming it was to build.
rcncman is offline Find More Posts by rcncman
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Very nice! I wish I had the patience to rebuild mine... One of these years I will build a new one again...

I believe now that my problem was my Saito 56 was not broke in at that time. Oh well...

Keep taking good care of yours!!! Post a pic one of these days!!!